GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo 7pm EDT 10/02/15

WildCard

I think Murray always wants a high draft pick no matter what, he also wants to win a cup no matter what. He compartmentalizes a lot of things. He wants to make the playoffs, he also wants to get a really good defender via trade of the draft.  Those two things can coincide or be completely separate, Murray just wants to win.

I think Murray always wants a high draft pick no matter what, he also wants to win a cup no matter what. He compartmentalizes a lot of things. He wants to make the playoffs, he also wants to get a really good defender via trade of the draft.  Those two things can coincide or be completely separate, Murray just wants to win.

I think Murray's real job is to put together a team that helps the marketing department maximize revenue. If winning a Stanley Cup does that, well that's his goal. 

Exhibit B: Jack Eichel

I don't think there's a franchise in any major sport who's #1 goal it is to win over make money. 

Completely disagree.  Many of these owners are wealthier than you and I can dream of.  These franchises are toys to some of them.

Sure. I think I'm touching on a subject fans don't want to talk about so I'll stop. 

I'm not saying I don't want to talk about it, I just don't think it's correct.  Wildcard just rattled off a few but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I'm not saying I don't want to talk about it, I just don't think it's correct.  Wildcard just rattled off a few but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

He did, but you guys are taking that as fact. It's not like those teams have valuations in the billions of dollars. 

Jerry Jones must have built the Cowboys new stadium filled with restaurants and luxury suites as a toy too. 

He did, but you guys are taking that as fact. It's not like those teams have valuations in the billions of dollars. 

Jerry Jones must have built the Cowboys new stadium filled with restaurants and luxury suites as a toy too. 

Of course their goal is not to intentionally lose millions of dollars every year.  But you are saying every owners goal is to make money above winning and there's no way you can prove that either and I can't imagine that to be the case.

Why wouldn't you put amenities in your new stadium?  Absolute some owners just want the money and winning is 2nd, however that is not the case for everyone. 

And just because an Owner's number one goal is to win, doesn't mean they don't also want to make money. And vice versa.

Pretty much. They are 1A & 1a.

Make money and you tend to win (provided you aren't based out of TO).

Win & you tend to make money.

The Pegulas are in that rare spot where they're willing to spend to win but haven't quite figured it all out. My money's on them getting it before Dan Snyder does. (& though I want both their teams to win, I want the Sabres to figure it out real fast.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.