NHL Gamecenter live

NNYSABRESMAN

So it looks like I won't be able to watch any hockey this year unless I watch replays of the game 2 days later

I would get a subscription to Hockeystreams. I don't quite grasp the ethical issues others have about the service. You'd like to give money to the NHL but the way their draconian rules are set up you're blacked out from their service since the cable company has a monolopy on the "service" they provide you.

I live in the NYC area and the games are blacked out when they're on NBC, NBCSN, or playing the Rangers, Islanders, or Devils. That adds up.

Also, Gamecenter puts you out on your ass once the playoffs roll around. You're telling me the you're not going to allow me to watch the most exciting games of the season? What's the point of watching the regular season if you can't see it all come to a conclusion in the playoffs. It's corporate blue-balling, absolute insanity.

I'd gladly pay gamecenter if it was no-frills and let us watch the games we want to watch but that's not the case. I'm not paying to watch some games through the regular season only to be left out during the playoffs. Simple enough.

I would get a subscription to Hockeystreams. I don't quite grasp the ethical issues others have about the service. You'd like to give money to the NHL but the way their draconian rules are set up you're blacked out from their service since the cable company has a monolopy on the "service" they provide you.

I live in the NYC area and the games are blacked out when they're on NBC, NBCSN, or playing the Rangers, Islanders, or Devils. That adds up.

Also, Gamecenter puts you out on your ass once the playoffs roll around. You're telling me the you're not going to allow me to watch the most exciting games of the season? What's the point of watching the regular season if you can't see it all come to a conclusion in the playoffs. It's corporate blue-balling, absolute insanity.

I'd gladly pay gamecenter if it was no-frills and let us watch the games we want to watch but that's not the case. I'm not paying to watch some games through the regular season only to be left out during the playoffs. Simple enough.

You still get to watch all playoff games on NBC and NBC Sports. You're not missing out on any part of the postseason. Gamecenter is worth the money if you're not in an area that will black out your team. 

I want to Terry and GMTM to have as much spreading around money as possible. ;)

Oh yeah, I hope the money they get from me for merchandise goes to the next Ville Leino, ha ha!

In all seriousness though, I definitely see your point but I just disagree. Maybe it was the tank (which I fully supported) or maybe it's getting older, or maybe it's the fact that I cringe everytime I pull up the credit card section of my credit union account given the time of year but I just can't see spending the money on it anymore.

Edited by Drunkard

You still get to watch all playoff games on NBC and NBC Sports. You're not missing out on any part of the postseason. Gamecenter is worth the money if you're not in an area that will black out your team.

I don't own a TV and don't have a cable subscription, that's the catch for me. I can't watch those games.

Can you PM me the website address to this hockey streams? And as the season goes on does it cost less since I wasn't able to watch October, November, December games?

I don't have the energy to really get into it again, but essentially hockey streams doesn't legally have permission to show NHL games (at least in North America). Essentially, they're taking someone else's work without permission or paying and selling it. I personally think it's wrong but I try not to judge anyone who doesn't. I'm in the same boat as you though, no cable so I'm kind of screwed when playoffs come around since every game is on TV. I too wish there was a legitimate service to stream all the games.

Major League Baseball is supposed to have taken over the operations of NHL GameCenter and work on the transition as the season progresses. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a big change in the platform around December-January. I wonder if this is still on schedule.

Major League Baseball is supposed to have taken over the operations of NHL GameCenter and work on the transition as the season progresses. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a big change in the platform around December-January. I wonder if this is still on schedule.

Every time I see an update for the NHL app on my phone, I wonder the same thing.

If I recall correctly, the roll out of the new platform and apps was scheduled to be the first of the year.  Waiting anxiously for it; as I've stated before, MLB's product makes Gamecenter look like teletype. 

Just in time for the Winter Classic. Good planning. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip on the Kodi viewer. Really like it. Adds DVR capability (pause/rewind/ff) to watching games.  The only complaint is watching live and the game buffers it looks weird and actually speeds up to sync back to live. That's why I often wait 30 minutes to start watching, then FF through commercials.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Don't understand blackouts. It is the reason I grew up a Yankees and not an Indians or Blue Jays fan (The Yanks were/are actually on tv in Buffalo!). Anyways, I purchased gamecenter for a family member who has moved away and really enjoy jumping on the app a few times a week to see what's going on in the western conference. My 4 year old son for some reason prefers watching hockey with gamecenter in the morning to paw patrol. Now after the sabres he likes the blue jackets and kings. You can see how this increased exposure can help the league.  

Don't understand blackouts. It is the reason I grew up a Yankees and not an Indians or Blue Jays fan (The Yanks were/are actually on tv in Buffalo!). Anyways, I purchased gamecenter for a family member who has moved away and really enjoy jumping on the app a few times a week to see what's going on in the western conference. My 4 year old son for some reason prefers watching hockey with gamecenter in the morning to paw patrol. Now after the sabres he likes the blue jackets and kings. You can see how this increased exposure can help the league.  

In short, NBC/NBCSN has paid a truckload of money for the rights to show games, as have the local networks that cover each team (MSG, Root sports, etc.). Those networks pay that money so they're the sole source of watching the game so they can draw eyeballs to their network. The networks then sell advertisement space to other companies to recoup the cost of paying to carry the games. Then, the networks go to TV providers (cable, satellite, etc.) and charge money per TV subscriber to the TV provider for the rights to carry their network. If you don't black out games that are available locally via cable/etc., a lot of that value chain breaks down.

As a fan, it sucks. I'd think the relatively small number of gamecenter subscribers wouldn't matter, but I have to admit I'm considering getting cable again if the Sabres start regularly getting into the playoffs. There's no way I'd get cable again if I could legally get all the playoff games live, and I'm not in a position to go out to a bar or whatnot to watch the games.

In short, NBC/NBCSN has paid a truckload of money for the rights to show games, as have the local networks that cover each team (MSG, Root sports, etc.). Those networks pay that money so they're the sole source of watching the game so they can draw eyeballs to their network. The networks then sell advertisement space to other companies to recoup the cost of paying to carry the games. Then, the networks go to TV providers (cable, satellite, etc.) and charge money per TV subscriber to the TV provider for the rights to carry their network. If you don't black out games that are available locally via cable/etc., a lot of that value chain breaks down.

As a fan, it sucks. I'd think the relatively small number of gamecenter subscribers wouldn't matter, but I have to admit I'm considering getting cable again if the Sabres start regularly getting into the playoffs. There's no way I'd get cable again if I could legally get all the playoff games live, and I'm not in a position to go out to a bar or whatnot to watch the games.

Keep in mind there is an NBCSN app that streams games so you can still watch those games, just not on NHL-GCL.

I don't understand the NHL's 48 hour blackouts though.  MLB makes all games, local blackout or national TV, available 90 minutes after they end.  Far more reasonable.  I mean, I get why Comcast wants it that long, but still, MLB makes it happen with multiple media partners and far more money at stake. 

Keep in mind there is an NBCSN app that streams games so you can still watch those games, just not on NHL-GCL.

This gets repeated often, but it's not entirely accurate; you can only stream live NBCSN games via the app if you already pay for a cable or satellite subscription because you have to log in with those credentials for the app to work.  If you have a friend or family member who pays for cable and feels like sharing that info, then sure.  But if you do not, that app is useless to you.  I think it's only certain providers that allow this, too.  See here:

http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/faqs.html

Q: What is required for access to view "Live Streaming" video content?

A: You can access live streams of EVERY NBCSports event on NBC & NBCSN by authenticating with a cable, satellite or telco TV subscription that includes NBCSN. There is no additional charge for this service, simply login to NBCSports Live Extra using the Username and Password you use on your providers website.

If you do not have, or do not know your Login information contact your service provider.

Edited by biodork

I feel the same way about the NHL Network. I have AT&T U-Verse and they do not carry the network. Nor do they give me the option of having NHL Center Ice. Sure it's not the same as getting blacked out, but it's a case of getting screwed because of $$$. If it wasn't for the fact that my only other options are Comcast or Direct TV, I would switch. But aside from the hockey snub from AT&T, their service is top notch for everything else TV and Internet. 

Is it too much to ask to stream the local channel in with Mlb.tv or gamecenter? Include the adds and you have more eyeballs on advertisements. Sure the team would prefer that they can sell rights to local networks, but the ultimate goal should be to have your product shown everywhere. This would equate to full arenas, merchandise, etc. Right?

Is it too much to ask to stream the local channel in with Mlb.tv or gamecenter? Include the adds and you have more eyeballs on advertisements. Sure the team would prefer that they can sell rights to local networks, but the ultimate goal should be to have your product shown everywhere. This would equate to full arenas, merchandise, etc. Right?

Yeah... and if it's a money thing, can't they build the price into GCL so they aren't "losing out" by not having us pay for cable?  All I want is for them to offer me a way to pay them for something I want without buying cable, and they can't manage to do that.

(And welcome to the board, Dr. Phil!)

I agree on the ads, previous years you would get the local ads far more often than this year. I'm not sure what the driver there is, maybe there are weird FCC rules or something. I could see an issue if there's a Bob Jones Kia ("OUR SAVINGS ARE MASSSSSSSIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEEE!") in Pittsburgh offering deals but the unrelated Jones Kia in Phoenix isn't and people filing complaints. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Yeah... and if it's a money thing, can't they build the price into GCL so they aren't "losing out" by not having us pay for cable?  All I want is for them to offer me a way to pay them for something I want without buying cable, and they can't manage to do that.

(And welcome to the board, Dr. Phil!)

Interesting idea, but it's at least in part the cable companies that are driving this for exactly the situation we're in. I suppose there could be some agreement between GCL and cable companies to compensate the cable for the lost viewer, but that would get complex fast. Does every cable provider in the area get a reimbursement for me watching games?

Speaking as someone who is rarely in the Buffalo area, I actually WANT to see the local Buffalo ads.  It makes me feel a bit more more connected/nostalgic.  CenterIce used to show them, but they seem to black out all the local ads now.

I agree on the ads, previous years you would get the local ads far more often than this year. I'm not sure what the driver there is, maybe there are weird FCC rules or something. I could see an issue if there's a Bob Jones Kia ("OUR SAVINGS ARE MASSSSSSSIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEEE!") in Pittsburgh offering deals but the unrelated Jones Kia in Phoenix isn't and people filing complaints. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Interesting idea, but it's at least in part the cable companies that are driving this for exactly the situation we're in. I suppose there could be some agreement between GCL and cable companies to compensate the cable for the lost viewer, but that would get complex fast. Does every cable provider in the area get a reimbursement for me watching games?

Hard to say... no easy solution, but it seems like they should be able to come up with something.  As the meme says, I want the NHL to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Speaking as someone who is rarely in the Buffalo area, I actually WANT to see the local Buffalo ads.  It makes me feel a bit more more connected/nostalgic.  CenterIce used to show them, but they seem to black out all the local ads now.

Agreed -- I like that part, too (even if it occasionally gets old hearing Roby talk about bulging veins).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.