Another Reason to Love Girgensons

K-9

My apologies if this was already mentioned elsewhere, but did anyone hear Jeremy White's story yesterday about Girgensons interview when he attended the 2012 Combine?

When asked by a team, "What is the one thing that could stand in the way of achieving your NHL dream?", Zemgus replied, "Death." 

White said it is the all time best answer to that question, ever. And I couldn't agree more. How can anyone not love everything about this kid's commitment to the game? 

Been saying it since learning he was blocking shots in the third period of a game his team was losing by 11 goals, you can't teach what this kid has. 

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

That's not how I remember it!!!

Feel free to scroll down the rest of the page......

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21278-round-one-pick-14-girgensons/?p=398465

Start at post #115 on page 3 and read on through page 4......I guess because it's locked it sends you to the first post.

Cool! I loved Zemgus from the beginning.  :w00t:

(stop right there when it comes to reviewing old threads please.  :P )

Cool! I loved Zemgus from the beginning.  :w00t:

(stop right there when it comes to reviewing old threads please.  :P )

K-9 is cool.....

I just like reading some of the "concerns" from current posters in the new poster thread, and then like to point out every now and then, things aren't in a vaccuum.

I used to love doing research like I did on Bylsma, but a few years ago I decided it wasn't worth the effort. Getting a head coach is a special case.

That's not how I remember it!!!

Feel free to scroll down the rest of the page......

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21278-round-one-pick-14-girgensons/?p=398465

Start at post #115 on page 3 and read on through page 4......I guess because it's locked it sends you to the first post.

I refer you to post #143 in the same thread. We both ascribed a special character trait to Girgensons. The wiser course I chose at the time was to not burden him with the same kind of unrealistic expectations we were too quick to lay on Kassian.

Sorry, Ghost. You'll have to save your "I told you so" for someone else as we were in agreement about his character from the get go.

I am still impressed by your sustained sense of optimism, though. It continues to refresh.

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

I refer you to post #143 in the same thread. We both ascribed a special character trait to Girgensons. The wiser course I chose at the time was to not burden him with the same kind of unrealistic expectations we were too quick to lay on Kassian.

Sorry, Ghost. You'll have to save your "I told you so" for someone else as we were in agreement about his character from the get go.

I am still impressed by your sustained sense of optimism, though. It continues to refresh.

GO SABRES!!!

HOWEVER!!!!!

The term "Concept of Kassian" which multiple posters were trying to drive in.....in direct response to DeLuca, myself, and a handful of other posters saying that trading Kassian, a rugged winger with 30 goal potential, for Hodgson who is just another undersized, soft, Sabre-Type (at the time) player....was a stupid move. Hodgson went hot for the few games he was here after the trade and Kassian didn't do much...so we had everyone on the bandwagon, and making fun of a few of us. We still stood strong in saying it was a poor decision....also pointing out all of hodgson's red flags at Vancouver.

What happens?

The Sabres after less than a half a season, sign Hodgson to a 6 year $25.5 million contract.

Vancouver signs Kassian for  2 years, $3.5 million.

Since Hodgson signed his contract, he has 57 points in 150 games.

Kassian has 45 points in 115 games.

Kassian has outscored Hodgson on a points per game basis since Hodgson signed his big contract....and at  13% the total financial commitment, and 40% the yearly one.

So.....if anyone would like to admit a double F-up.......feel free.

And again, this isn't, "I told you so".

This is a direct response to a false claim (partial), which was levied in the midst of a pile-on of a subject.....which may also warrant an I told you so, but the personal shame the Hodgson lovers feel is obvious enough to let them hit the restart button.

Ummm... no.  Concept of Kassian showed up before that trade.  Well before.  It became a board meme when we all started to wonder if we over hyped the kid.  It got brought up in the Girgensens draft thread because we were hyping a kid that wasn't even in a top 3 junior hockey league.

Thankfully, Girgensens is living up to the hype.

Ummm... no.  Concept of Kassian showed up before that trade.  Well before.  It became a board meme when we all started to wonder if we over hyped the kid.  It got brought up in the Girgensens draft thread because we were hyping a kid that wasn't even in a top 3 junior hockey league.

Thankfully, Girgensens is living up to the hype.

I could pull up the Hodgson/Kassian thread as well.

It was a pile-on effort by multiple posters. Sports media were saying after the 1st few months.."I'd do the trade 100/100 times"...."If you think this was a bad deal you are a moron"...etc.

The term itself is fine.....it was when it would be used, like in that thread. I even pointed out the differences between the 2 players. I don' think you ever saw me say Kassian should wear a letter, let alone a day after he was drafted. I was pointing out what a can't miss Girgensons was. Kassian was always about potential.

HOWEVER!!!!!

The term "Concept of Kassian" which multiple posters were trying to drive in.....in direct response to DeLuca, myself, and a handful of other posters saying that trading Kassian, a rugged winger with 30 goal potential, for Hodgson who is just another undersized, soft, Sabre-Type (at the time) player....was a stupid move. Hodgson went hot for the few games he was here after the trade and Kassian didn't do much...so we had everyone on the bandwagon, and making fun of a few of us. We still stood strong in saying it was a poor decision....also pointing out all of hodgson's red flags at Vancouver.

What happens?

The Sabres after less than a half a season, sign Hodgson to a 6 year $25.5 million contract.

Kassian has outscored Hodgson on a points per game basis since Hodgson signed his big contract....and at  13% the total financial commitment, and 40% the yearly one.

This is a direct response to a false claim (partial), which was levied in the midst of a pile-on of a subject.....which may also warrant an I told you so, but the personal shame the Hodgson lovers feel is obvious enough to let them hit the restart button.

You missed one big thing, long grass and fat cows it doesn't happen.

Both sides lost on the Kassian vs Hodgson argument.

And this thread is about Zemgus, kassian will never come close to him.  Bringing all that up again, this just isn't the right spot.  That thread was closed for a reason, it was pointless.

And you can consider me one of the people who thought and still think it was good trade at that time.

Edited by Heimdall

We needed a center very badly. If Hodgson doesn't do his disappearing act last year then the trade is fine. In fact, Hodgson will rebound this year and he'll still be fine. Just ask TbB.

I'm not sold on Hodgson.  I'd trade him before I found out for sure and someone else values him, great.  If he lights it up with another team, good for him.

HOWEVER!!!!!

What happens?

Yeah, it's looking like I was as wrong about Hodgson as I was about Kassian at first. Feel free to give me an "I told you so" about Cody for sure. Trading Kassian was still the right thing to do especially because Foligno was already proving he was way more Kassian than Kassian was on a nightly basis in the A and then when he was called up.

Not sure why you are conflating the Kassian discussions with this one about Zemgus. Do you long for Team Storm Cloud?

GO SABRES!!!

Yeah, it's looking like I was as wrong about Hodgson as I was about Kassian at first. Feel free to give me an "I told you so" about Cody for sure. Trading Kassian was still the right thing to do especially because Foligno was already proving he was way more Kassian than Kassian was on a nightly basis in the A and then when he was called up.

Not sure why you are conflating the Kassian discussions with this one about Zemgus. Do you long for Team Storm Cloud?

GO SABRES!!!

All I was doing was pointing out to you the types of things you were saying to me when I said the things about Girgensons at the time........in a thread about Girgensons....then put it in this thread which really had no reason to be started (not aimed at you but Garanimal Boy who felt the need to point it out first)...since this and Girgensons combine interview had been posted in 3 different threads.

Then when YOU........ brought Kassian into the discussion in this thread, I felt it was only fair to show he has been a better player on 13% of the commited contract, and how easy it is to insult and pile-on a few posters with differing opinion.... 

I don't have a beef.....you did say Girgensons had a little something. But bragging about what you said after after trying to talk me down in the original is like screaming at the track because you had a $2 to Show Bet on Girgensons at 30-1 while before the race I show you $100 to win on him and you call me an idiot. When you collect your $14, don't get mad if I don't send you a drink with my $3100......

All I was doing was pointing out to you the types of things you were saying to me when I said the things about Girgensons at the time........in a thread about Girgensons....then put it in this thread which really had no reason to be started (not aimed at you but Garanimal Boy who felt the need to point it out first)...since this and Girgensons combine interview had been posted in 3 different threads.

Then when YOU........ brought Kassian into the discussion in this thread, I felt it was only fair to show he has been a better player on 13% of the commited contract, and how easy it is to insult and pile-on a few posters with differing opinion.... 

I don't have a beef.....you did say Girgensons had a little something. But bragging about what you said after after trying to talk me down in the original is like screaming at the track because you had a $2 to Show Bet on Girgensons at 30-1 while before the race I show you $100 to win on him and you call me an idiot. When you collect your $14, don't get mad if I don't send you a drink with my $3100......

I didn't bring Kassian into this thread, you did by referencing a discussion about him in another thread from years ago. 

Bragging about what I said? Really? By simply pointing out that we ultimately agreed about Girgensons originally? By adding context to your misleading reference to a thread from three years ago? Have you been laying in wait all this time just to spring it on somebody when they praise Girgensons now?  WTF, dude.  Is your ego so frail that you need to be complimented about your original insights into Girgensons several years ago? Hey Ghost, GREAT call on Girgensons when he was drafted!

But don't try to imply that I was anti-Girgensons when we drafted him and that I am somehow just now coming to appreciate his makeup. Not even close. You'd know that if you were paying closer attention to what I've posted about him the last three years. 

This thread is about nothing more than a great answer the kid gave to a question during an interview. Period. I find your attempt to make it a comment on something else entirely, pitiful. 

GO SABRES!!!

I didn't bring Kassian into this thread, you did by referencing a discussion about him in another thread from years ago. 

Bragging about what I said? Really? By simply pointing out that we ultimately agreed about Girgensons originally? By adding context to your misleading reference to a thread from three years ago? Have you been laying in wait all this time just to spring it on somebody when they praise Girgensons now?  WTF, dude.  Is your ego so frail that you need to be complimented about your original insights into Girgensons several years ago? Hey Ghost, GREAT call on Girgensons when he was drafted!

But don't try to imply that I was anti-Girgensons when we drafted him and that I am somehow just now coming to appreciate his makeup. Not even close. You'd know that if you were paying closer attention to what I've posted about him the last three years. 

This thread is about nothing more than a great answer the kid gave to a question during an interview. Period. I find your attempt to make it a comment on something else entirely, pitiful. 

GO SABRES!!!

Please read through THIS thread and see who mentions Kassian first. I directed you to read a page and a half of the orignal Girgensons thread. Then read what i said about Girgensons and what you said. You liked him, a lot of him liked him, but then count up how many posters including yourself took barbs with my projections for him...which have pretty much been exceeded as long as he gets his letter this year. Not just Kassian related.

That was in my memory...so when you started the thread, and I read your post....I was actually smiling.

And again....."The I told you so!!" stuff........YOU started a thread that had the info already posted in multiple threads, then pointed out how right you were about him. Then the irony of your original comment being in a thread where you were making fun of me for Valuing Kassian over Hodgson...after Hodgson had put in his 40 games of effort to land the money and the gang mentality felt safe piling on......

I don't care about a new thread. I don't really give a sh!t what or where anyone puts stuff. The only time I will get my dander up is when someone questions my integrity or gives a personal insult. I've been insulted by someone on a continous basis on this site over the years who works for a small firm that has collected millions from the Sabres under each of the last 3 ownerships. I've been told it's not fair to point that out, even though they put all their personal information in a link on this website a few years ago. There are a few others that post, but not as bright. I've been told to go kill myself by a good half dozen posters over the years including multiple times by the fiance of a poster who is offended by lockerroom talk....and I LIKE both of them a lot.

I agreed with SDS at one point that I could be a lightning rod, and I should expect it. But the same people with the same insults or false accusations over the years...the accusations that I am being negative for the sake of being negative.....and the group mentality that made it acceptable, being led by the moderators....

I was an ahole for saying:

The Sabres had no shot in 06-07 unless they traded for some grit

Golisano and Quinn were only in it to make money

The team was going to be sold after Quinn took a part of the team so his future earnings and bonus could be earned at 15% taxes

Darcy was a yes-man weasel and the team would never win with him and Lindy at the helm

The team was soft and had almost zero heart

So as all those things came to finally be accepted as truth by the mob, big infrastructure things.....not, will so and so have 20 goals?........maybe a handfull of people, much like when I suggested Bylsma was the better coach and I was an ahole to say Babcock was probably all about the cash and Canada if he left and I couldn't see him in Buffalo...actually said I'm sorry, or nice job. I know I've gotten thousands of "You're negative for the sake of being negative", "Looking for things to complain about", "Attention", yadda yadda. This team has been on pretty much a straightline dive from 10,000 feet, to into the ocean the past 8 years.....yet the same insults would get hurled.

When you are actually trying to do positive work and think things through, yet if it isn't "Hooray Pommers!!!!"....get ready for the monkey crap and bottles. I just get a little pissed it still goes on.

OK -- this seems to have deteriorated, in the immortal words of (I think) Jeanbe, into a b#tch fight in the parking lot.

Back to your corners boys.

Ha I like your analogy.  :thumbsup: 

As for the two going at it, just want to say I value their opinions and enjoy the fact their regulars on this board. Some times things can get a little heated amongst posters on any message board. How does the saying go? If it can happen, it will happen. Trust me, there will be a day I go off on someone for a post I feel crossed the line. Ha Look at the times the posts were made. A few cold ones may have been involved! 

Alright Ghost and K-9, let's enjoy the Stanley Cup Finals tonight! Continue to post and have a great Saturday!

OK -- this seems to have deteriorated, in the immortal words of (I think) Jeanbe, into a b#tch fight in the parking lot.

Back to your corners boys.

I was just going to ask it if was time to mention that! 

I'm sorry, but I like the b*tch fights in the parking lot.

Not that I want to see a fight, but there are on going back stories that are years old that come to light for new members to finally read and find out what the other wise meaningless barbs to each other mean. To me this is ....nice, in a weird way.

Gives it a more dysfunctional family feel.

Which to me is normal.

My family is mind-numbingly boring, so I find arguments intellectually stimulating.  

I'm super into the mods/owner having a presence though, which I feel gives the board more of a family or community atmosphere.

If it was just fights, I wouldn't like it, but when the mods act like humans and referees, I understand.

Another reason to love Girgensons is that his name is Zemgus, and some parents in WNY will pay homage.

Another reason to love Zemgus is that he gives us a leg up on recruiting the cream of the Latvian crop, so long as our GM isn't a xenophobe.

My family is mind-numbingly boring, so I find arguments intellectually stimulating.  

I'm super into the mods/owner having a presence though, which I feel gives the board more of a family or community atmosphere.

If it was just fights, I wouldn't like it, but when the mods act like humans and referees, I understand.

Another reason to love Girgensons is that his name is Zemgus, and some parents in WNY will pay homage.

Another reason to love Zemgus is that he gives us a leg up on recruiting the cream of the Latvian crop, so long as our GM isn't a xenophobe.

In that case, I REALLY hope Risto wins several Norrises and makes a habit of scoring championship clinching goals.  Then we can get a leg up on a country that actually produces lots of hockey players  :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.