NHL Scoring or Lack Thereof.

LGR4GM

I don't know about anyone else but ever single game I have watched these playoffs has included some of the most heinous uncalled interference/obstruction/ and ridiculous late hits I can remember.  The games for the most part are a guy chipping the puck in, because at the blue line he will get held, and then some cycling down low, the puck back to the point, shot, block, clear, repeat.  A lot of it is boring crap hockey that relies solely on getting a luck deflection and less on skilled players doing their thing.  The TB team finally broke through that clutching sham and dropped 5 goals on Detroit and it was a fun game to watch.  

So here is an article so you can see how bad the problem is.  Note that the most points in the league this year were 87... Derek Roy once had 81pts so that is how far the league scoring has gotten.  I hate it and the NHL needs to enforce it's rules better and promote scoring because hockey is getting more boring by the year and that sucks.

NHL’s ‘let them play’ attitude does disservice to playoff brilliance

This year, with only one game left to play, there have been slightly under six power plays per game, which is down slightly from during the year.

But it’s a figure that is way down from 2012 when it was 6.6, which was way down (20 per cent) from 2009 and (43 per cent) from 2006, when there were nearly double that.

That’s not all players making adjustments. The so-called new NHL of 10 years ago is becoming closer to the obstruction-filled Dead Puck Era, and calls are getting missed that are far less egregious than the few mentioned above.

Some of the hockey in the first round has been very good. The Blackhawks-Predators series was excellent, for one, and it featured the second highest number of power plays per game of any opening round matchup. (Lightning-Wings sits first with Game 7 looming.)

But two series had fewer than four power plays a game – an incredible low – and that was something that contributed to some ugly hockey, especially in the Wild’s stifling elimination against the Blues.

Edited by LGR4GM

If you want to go back to the NHL glory days of offense all you need to do is address the goal-tending. Watch NHL classics, athletic goaltenders where few and far between. If you want to increase scoring don't let goaltenders workout, not even a treadmill and after each game they must consume a 12 pack of beer, a pint of whisky and smoke cigars. All this on top of a high fat diet and you will have the slow lethargic goal-tending of glory days gone by and teams will be scoring 6-7 goals a night.    

Edited by DeLuca1967

If you want to go back to the NHL glory days of offense all you need to do is address the goal-tending. Watch NHL classics, athletic goaltenders where few and far between. If you want to increase scoring don't let goaltenders workout, not even a treadmill and after each game they must consume a 12 pack of beer, a pint of whisky and smoke cigars. All this on top of a high fat diet and you will have the slow lethargic goal-tending of glory days gone by and teams will be scoring 6-7 goals a night.    

It's fun to imagine the numbers players like Ovechkin and Datsyuk would put up when Gretzky was playing. Let alone if the USSR would have let Russians come over and play. 

No goalies over 5'2" and under 195lbs

Scoring is most def down and it sucks, but there's an awful lot of inference and cross checking not called unless it's a blatant tackle..... And even then sometimes not called.

I don't think we will be fine. It has gotten worse at an exponential rate.  The NHL really needs to do something. 

Ok.  You might not be fine.  I will be FINE.

(Of course, they'll tighten up on the rules just as soon as Murray forms his brute squad.  And we ALL KNOW THE MOVIE, Liger!--no need to youtube us.)

Ok.  You might not be fine.  I will be FINE.

(Of course, they'll tighten up on the rules just as soon as Murray forms his brute squad.  And we ALL KNOW THE MOVIE, Liger!--no need to youtube us.)

YOUTUBE WILL BE FINE!!!!

But in all seriousness I think the NHL has a major problem.  I don't need 7 goals a game but we are edging closer to 4 goals a game.  That isn't exciting and I don't think really good GT is the reason.  I think tons of obstruction is the reason.  I saw interference on almost every dump in tonight.  Guy shot the puck in and then would be grabbed, blcoked, sticked, whatever... and it use to get called. Now, meh. 

YOUTUBE WILL BE FINE!!!!

But in all seriousness I think the NHL has a major problem.  I don't need 7 goals a game but we are edging closer to 4 goals a game.  That isn't exciting and I don't think really good GT is the reason.  I think tons of obstruction is the reason.  I saw interference on almost every dump in tonight.  Guy shot the puck in and then would be grabbed, blcoked, sticked, whatever... and it use to get called. Now, meh. 

I get it but it is well-known and has been for six and a half years.  

Published 

Tuesday, Apr. 28 2015, 7:50 AM EDT

I actually just buried my forehead into my left forearm.  Not your fault.

Post the article that rehashes everything Taro and DeLuca have been saying since before d4rk could grow facial hair. Go ahead...

Edited by Eleven

I actually just buried my forehead into my left forearm.  Not your fault.

Post the article that rehashes everything Taro and DeLuca have been saying since before d4rk could grow facial hair. Go ahead...

I just wanted it all in one thread.   :(

Edited by LGR4GM

Oh just post it already.  If it's not a movie clip, we won't hate on you.

We are either talking about different things or you missed the first post.  The real relevant part of that article is maybe this:

"What’s obvious is scoring is way down, and it’s not coming back without substantial change. If you pull out the 16 empty netters in the 46 games played in Round 1, you’re left with only 4.7 goals per game, one of the lowest rates in league history. (The last regular season with scoring that low was in the 1930s.)

What that’s doing is creating situations like the one in Ottawa on Sunday, where a fluky goal against and a blown goal call decided an elimination game because that’s all the scoring there was."

Edited by LGR4GM

I don't know about anyone else but ever single game I have watched these playoffs has included some of the most heinous uncalled interference/obstruction/ and ridiculous late hits I can remember. 

The NHL really needs to do something. 

But in all seriousness I think the NHL has a major problem. 

I get what Eleven's saying, but I do think the problem, while not new, has reached some version of critical mass. If the issue has been like a slowly advancing water level, well then the water's now at the league's door now and is threatening to come on in. They need to fix this.

I just wonder if the concussion issue has played a role in allowing more interference. They don't want the defensemen to get smeared so they allow the forwards to play pass blocking more. Its sort of an extension of the automatic icing rule. The Rangers are the worst, IMO. 

Interesting.

Too bad the NHL doesn't keep scoring chances as an official stat. If scoring chances are not declining, but goaltending is getting better, that's a problem, but a different problem from scoring chances declining. Does that make sense?

Looking at the bigger picture, the NHL just signed a ginormous broadcasting deal in Canada, attendance seems to be strong almost everywhere, the salary cap has gone up... why should the league change anything? We're all hooked on their product, even when it's lousy, and they know it.

The owners could sit down in a room and decide to stop hiring team presidents, GMs and coaches who are dinosaurs, or at least who are not forward-thinking. They could decide to give us a better and different game. Until that happens, and it's not going to happen, the hockey guys are left to their worst devices — and that is to win at any cost, the game be damned.

Looking at the bigger picture, the NHL just signed a ginormous broadcasting deal in Canada, attendance seems to be strong almost everywhere, the salary cap has gone up... why should the league change anything? We're all hooked on their product, even when it's lousy, and they know it.

I'm not so sure. They're not the NFL. 

I can't recall what precipitated the changes going into the 2005-2006 season. There needs to be a similar sense of urgency now.

I just wonder if the concussion issue has played a role in allowing more interference. They don't want the defensemen to get smeared so they allow the forwards to play pass blocking more. Its sort of an extension of the automatic icing rule. The Rangers are the worst, IMO. 

You might be onto something there if the awareness of the concussion issues went back nearly 20 years.  As eleven has been saying in this thread, the interference is nothing new and they've been letting it go for ages now.

gaoltender equipment and an aversion to PP's is what's the driving force. players are too big and too fast so there is less room on the ice especially if refs are going to let interference etc go. 

That and its really hard to score on a 6'5 goalie with giant pads. 

I'm not so sure. They're not the NFL. 

I can't recall what precipitated the changes going into the 2005-2006 season. There needs to be a similar sense of urgency now.

There was a sense the game was still too much like the trap/clutch and grab devils.... they wanted some excitement and an up and down game for more scoring. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.