Tim Murray: Lottery Presser

LGR4GM

Yes, this is just the media tricking people.   :rolleyes:  It's certainly not like you can just watch the presser video and see a wildly disappointed man giving bizarre answers to questions and making horrible WJC analogies.

It's not about the media tricking people. It's about choosing to frame the narrative out of context.

You shouldn't expect Murray to be more than what he is. We would all prefer he say the perfect things at the right time all the time.

When he spends the next couple months heaping more praise on Eichel as the draft approaches and the media continue to contrast those comments with those from last night, will you appreciate the contrast or seek to hold what he said in the heat of an emotionally charged moment as the one and only true indication of his feelings?

The media have already made up their minds. Have you?

GO SABRES!!!

It's not about the media tricking people. It's about choosing to frame the narrative out of context.

You shouldn't expect Murray to be more than what he is. We would all prefer he say the perfect things at the right time all the time.

When he spends the next couple months heaping more praise on Eichel as the draft approaches and the media continue to contrast those comments with those from last night, will you appreciate the contrast or seek to hold what he said in the heat of an emotionally charged moment as the one and only true indication of his feelings?

GO SABRES!!!

Well said. 

Oh, he was mad at the league?  Who. The ####.  Cares?

He's supposed to be an adult and a professional.  Last night wasn't the right time or place for his airing of grievances.  It was the night Jack Eichel found out he's 99% going to be headed to Buffalo.  And our GM looked like a guy going through a messy divorce.  Is it too much to ask that he acts excited that we're going to draft a generational prospect -- even if only for that prospect's sake?  Or the sake of the fans?

He's representing the team and the city.  Literally nothing he said helped, but he did manage to say a few incredibly thoughtless things.  Instead of saying the right things, he decided his feelings were the most important thing about last night.  It was stupid and unprofessional.

It's in the Sportsnet video link I posted at 10:21am above.  It honestly might be the most damning thing he said last night.  The analogy fails on every level and there's no way you can put a positive spin on it for Eichel.

I seriously don't get the butthurt. Murray has every right as a GM in this league to air grievances about the NHL's dopey draft process. And I'm sure he's not the only GM who feels this way, so it's the perfect stage for him to make those comments. Edmonton keeps winning the draft? I'm happy to have a GM who isn't afraid to call the league out for this huge scam. 

If the NHL doesn't want teams to tank, maybe they shouldn't pimp the whole process out? Those prospects sure as sh*t didn't want to be there last night. And neither did anyone in management. The whole things is stupid uncomfortable for everyone involved. 

I think GMTM makes an excellent point with his comments. This league talks out of both corners of its mouth and it's a joke.

I bet he established a lot of credibility with other GM's last night. 

Him bitching about the process is the exact reason why the process is the process. I'm glad it will only get worse for teams who tank next year.

And what about his statements earlier in the week where he said he was all about Eichel because we were more likely to get him and he didn't want to make himself crazy thinking about it?

He's not looking good through all of this. Let's just hope he builds us the team we want and all this won't matter anyway.

I, for one, am thrilled we have an interesting GM. Love it, hate it, whatever...it beats the hell out of hearing the same three clichés or the guy blowing smoke up our collective with something like "we had Jack #1 all along."

Also, is what he said any worse for Eichel than Jack himself saying it would be a dream come true to play for the Bruins was for Sabres fans? I don't think any of it means anything.

I, for one, am thrilled we have an interesting GM. Love it, hate it, whatever...it beats the hell out of hearing the same three clichés or the guy blowing smoke up our collective ###### with something like "we had Jack #1 all along."

Also, is what he said any worse for Eichel than Jack himself saying it would be a dream come true to play for the Bruins was for Sabres fans? I don't think any of it means anything.

And Jack has made a number of comments like that. He played for the Junior B's but is apparently also a Habs fan. Are we going to get butthurt that Jack might not like us as much as Montreal? No. So who cares. 

GO SABRES!!!

Yes, we should.  I assume almost everyone has a job where they get frustrated from time to time.  And part of doing that job is not mouthing off all the time or being insanely negative when things don't go your way.  And, yes, that includes the "emotionally charged" moments.

And as far as it being an emotionally charged moment: There was an 80% chance of last night's outcome happening!  How was he not better prepared to handle that?

So, no, whatever comments he makes leading up to the draft in the next two months as he gets his story straight won't make up for it.  He crumpled under pressure and made last night about himself, rather than about how excited we are to welcome Eichel to Buffalo.  It's definitely a red flag for the guy.

Yes, we should.  I assume almost everyone has a job where they get frustrated from time to time.  And part of doing that job is not mouthing off all the time or being insanely negative when things don't go your way.  And, yes, that includes the "emotionally charged" moments.

And as far as it being an emotionally charged moment: There was an 80% chance of last night's outcome happening!  How was he not better prepared to handle that?

So, no, whatever comments he makes leading up to the draft in the next two months as he gets his story straight won't make up for it.  He crumpled under pressure and made last night about himself, rather than about how excited we are to welcome Eichel to Buffalo.  It's definitely a red flag for the guy.

Jack Eichel hasn't been drafted by the Sabres yet so I'm not sure how he's supposed to make those comments. 

I seriously don't get the butthurt. Murray has every right as a GM in this league to air grievances about the NHL's dopey draft process. And I'm sure he's not the only GM who feels this way, so it's the perfect stage for him to make those comments. Edmonton keeps winning the draft? I'm happy to have a GM who isn't afraid to call the league out for this huge scam. 

If the NHL doesn't want teams to tank, maybe they shouldn't pimp the whole process out? Those prospects sure as sh*t didn't want to be there last night. And neither did anyone in management. The whole things is stupid uncomfortable for everyone involved. 

I think GMTM makes an excellent point with his comments. This league talks out of both corners of its mouth and it's a joke.

I bet he established a lot of credibility with other GM's last night. 

Seeing as how the league doesn't even care about its star players suffering brain injuries from cheap shots, I really don't think they're going to spring into action and change how they award draft picks due to Tim Murray's whining last night.

Which is another reason his performance last night was completely idiotic.

Jack Eichel hasn't been drafted by the Sabres yet so I'm not sure how he's supposed to make those comments. 

"We're really excited that we're going to have the opportunity to draft a special player to add to all the young talent we already have.  The future is really bright for our team."

I, for one, am thrilled we have an interesting GM. Love it, hate it, whatever...it beats the hell out of hearing the same three clichés or the guy blowing smoke up our collective ###### with something like "we had Jack #1 all along."

Milbury was interesting.

I want someone competent.  Last night was a red flag.

BTW, a teenager hypothetically saying he'd love to play for his hometown team -- if that's the way it works out -- isn't the same thing as an adult commenting about his disappointment about the teenager he's almost certainly going to draft.

Murray did not express any disappointment about Eichel.

Seeing as how the league doesn't even care about its star players suffering brain injuries from cheap shots, I really don't think they're going to spring into action and change how they award draft picks due to Tim Murray's whining last night.

Which is another reason his performance last night was completely idiotic.

"We're really excited that we're going to have the opportunity to draft a special player to add to all the young talent we already have.  The future is really bright for our team."

Milbury was interesting.

I want someone competent.  Last night was a red flag.

Which is basically saying "thank god there are two generational players in this draft or I'd be really f*cking pissed off". 

I don't understand how you aren't getting this. He wanted #1. He thinks he deserved #1. It's not about anything but that. 

Yes. It speaks to his judgment and professionalism, and how he handles it when things don't go his way.

Professionalism, maybe. But it still has nothing to do with putting together a good team. Bill Belichick doesn't have a professional bone in his body when it comes to media relations, yet is pretty good at what he does. Gregg Popovich is the same way. And so on.

Which is basically saying "thank god there are two generational players in this draft or I'd be really f*cking pissed off". 

I don't understand how you aren't getting this. He wanted #1. He thinks he deserved #1. It's not about anything but that. 

Because it doesnt' matter what he wanted.  He got #2 and should have expressed his excitement that we're in a good position for the future, both for the sake of the player and the sake of the city and organization.  

His comments last night were stupid and added zero value.  Instead of today being all about Buffalo getting ready to welcome Jack Eichel, there's now a subplot about Murray's unhappiness.  How stupid is that?

BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T F*CKING DRAFTED HIM. 

But we're going to and everyone knows that, including Eichel.  So don't act like your wife just left you because you lost the lottery.

Professionalism, maybe. But it still has nothing to do with putting together a good team. Bill Belichick doesn't have a professional bone in his body when it comes to media relations, yet is pretty good at what he does. Gregg Popovich is the same way. And so on.

Of course he does.  Every time he plays the Bills, he goes all the way down the Bills' roster and praises every player.  It's all BS, but he knows not to say anything that will cause trouble leading up to the game.

He's the master of saying a bunch of nonsense and keeping his thoughts to himself.  I'd prefer that in a coach/GM.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.