Ryan O'Reilly or Milan Lucic?

qwksndmonster

Lucic or ROR  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who?

O'Reilly is still ascending while Lucic seems to have plateaued if not regressed. ROR brings more of what this team needs overall. While we all can respect what Lucic brings in the toughness department, we have more grit now as well as some big bodies on the way up eventually. We just aren't the same group of cheap tents we were when Miller got run. I also think there's a chance we bring back Stewart as well. 

GO SABRES!!!

I think that right now, having a versatile top 6 player who excels at puck possession and defense is more important than having a hammer who can score.  It gives our new coach a lot more to work with when it comes to finding spots on our roster for the young centers to succeed.

I also think that ROR is better long term bet than Lucic.

Sign me up for neither. Both are overpaid and not what this team needs unless we plan on revolutionizing the game go trying to go with some kind of all southpaw lineup. I'd rather pick up an actual RW than add to our vast stockpile of LWs and left handed centers.

I think, handedness aside, both players are exactly what the roster needs.  Beef and talent in one package, versatility and stability in the other.

And maybe we'll just have our RWs skate backwards the entire time.

I think that right now, having a versatile top 6 player who excels at puck possession and defense is more important than having a hammer who can score.  It gives our new coach a lot more to work with when it comes to finding spots on our roster for the young centers to succeed.

I also think that ROR is better long term bet than Lucic.

I think, handedness aside, both players are exactly what the roster needs.  Beef and talent in one package, versatility and stability in the other.

And maybe we'll just have our RWs skate backwards the entire time.

The problem is you can't put handedness aside, or at least you shouldn't. Our possession numbers suck and having a bunch of lefties playing on their off hand while trying to win puck battles along the boards is going to make it tougher to win and/or maintain possession. It puts them at a disadvantage and going after even more lefties is just going to make the issue even worse. This misconception that it doesn't matter and you can swap them out however you feel like it needs to stop. Yes, it can be done, but it reduces their effectiveness. Same thing with defensive pairings. It's much easier for them to play the same side as they are handed. Yet people constantly lists lineups having Zadorov on the right side and Ristolainen on the left.

If we are going to trade big assets and sink a big part of our cap into some top player we want to acquire, it should at least fit in with our severe need for right handed shooters. Unless we plan on taking both of our blue chip centers (Eichel and Reinhart) and putting them out of position as right wingers instead of at center where they belong.

Edited by Drunkard

O'Reilly is still ascending while Lucic seems to have plateaued if not regressed. ROR brings more of what this team needs overall. While we all can respect what Lucic brings in the toughness department, we have more grit now as well as some big bodies on the way up eventually. We just aren't the same group of cheap tents we were when Miller got run. I also think there's a chance we bring back Stewart as well. 

GO SABRES!!!

This is one of the best opening comments on a thread I have ever read. To me, there is no further debate and you might as well close the thread to new posts. Great analysis!

The problem is you can't put handedness aside, or at least you shouldn't. Our possession numbers suck and having a bunch of lefties playing on their off hand while trying to win puck battles along the boards is going to make it tougher to win and/or maintain possession. It puts them at a disadvantage and going after even more lefties is just going to make the issue even worse. This misconception that it doesn't matter and you can swap them out however you feel like it needs to stop. Yes, it can be done, but it reduces their effectiveness. Same thing with defensive pairings. It's much easier for them to play the same side as they are handed. Yet people constantly lists lineups having Zadorov on the right side and Ristolainen on the left.

If we are going to trade big assets and sink a big part of our cap into some top player we want to acquire, it should at least fit in with our severe need for right handed shooters. Unless we plan on taking both of our blue chip centers (Eichel and Reinhart) and putting them out of position as right wingers instead of at center where they belong.

When I said "handedness aside"  I wasn't saying that handedness isn't important.

Our lack of possession was much more about lack of talent than any handedness issue.  Assume that when we get one of ROR or Lucic, that TM also signed a FA RW.  Whatever it takes to make the thought experiment work.

This is one of the best opening comments on a thread I have ever read. To me, there is no further debate and you might as well close the thread to new posts. Great analysis!

Why would I ever close the thread before DeLuca wreaked havoc in it?  I want the conversation!

When I said "handedness aside"  I wasn't saying that handedness isn't important.

Our lack of possession was much more about lack of talent than any handedness issue.  Assume that when we get one of ROR or Lucic, that TM also signed a FA RW.  Whatever it takes to make the thought experiment work.

Why would I ever close the thread before DeLuca wreaked havoc in it?  I want the conversation!

:thumbsup:

Neither!!! Lucic is a dumpster fire this team does not need, not to mention lack of scoring talent and on the down swing of his career. With RoR I'm not willing to give up the bevy of prospects and picks that its going to take. Not to mention the contract he reportedly wants makes him completely over paid.

IMO we have the chance here to develop three lines where line one is as good as line three and all three lines can play with anybody's top line. We are looking at having McEichel, Reinhart, and Grigo as our 3centers for the next ten years. If we stay the course, get a good coach, and develop our youth there will be no reason to trade for overpaid(RoR), trash(Lucic) players.

I went with Lucic.  Might be I don't see ROR play much.

Lucic 24g and 18g last two years

O'Reilly 28g and 17g last two years

Lucic 35a and 26a last two years

O'Reilly 36a and 38a last two years

Statistically ROR is better.

PIMS aren't even close though.  ROR almost never in the box.

I think the Sabres have more Centers than wings these days.  Or it sure feels like it.

Edited by wjag

Ryan O'Reilly and to me it's not even close.  You can play him on either wing or the center ice position.  He was great in the face-off circle, finishes in his own zone and carries the puck well.  He scores enough to be paid what he's going to based on the current NHL product.  

I will let my vote speak mostly for me, as it is a public poll.

Anyway, I want a cup dammit.  I have been good and I think I have earned it.

I feel strongly that adding Lucic would help in the above quest more than adding ROR.

Lucic would bring to the Sabres what no other player in the league can at this point.  Every team in the league is afraid of him, in the sense that they need to change their usual game plans around him.  I want that on the Sabres.  I don't just want the Sabres to be hard to play against.  I want real intimidation that really throws the opposition into a tizzy.

I will let my vote speak mostly for me, as it is a public poll.

Anyway, I want a cup dammit.  I have been good and I think I have earned it.

I feel strongly that adding Lucic would help in the above quest more than adding ROR.

Lucic would bring to the Sabres what no other player in the league can at this point.  Every team in the league is afraid of him, in the sense that they need to change their usual game plans around him.  I want that on the Sabres.  I don't just want the Sabres to be hard to play against.  I want real intimidation that really throws the opposition into a tizzy.

Valid points all around.  He'd be a big step up from what we've had in that end of things.  I just feel O'Reilly fits the team much better and that he has the ability to do things that other skilled forwards cannot.  

I dunno, in the Bruins games I've seen recently Lucic looks lost and completely disinterested, and less effective than Stafford has been for us. I don't think anyone is afraid of him anymore because they see through his ###### act.

I believe what you are seeing is more a product of the Bruins being a shell of their former selves in every sense of the word, rather than just Lucic.  That team was a circus this year.  The GM being shown the door is a direct result.  I feel the coach will be next.

I believe what you are seeing is more a product of the Bruins being a shell of their former selves in every sense of the word, rather than just Lucic. That team was a circus this year. The GM being shown the door is a direct result. I feel the coach will be next.

Even in the playoffs last year, all I saw was a nut spear, a threat, and then backing up that threat by disappearing off the face of the earth the next year while those guys who better watch themselves won the division.

I believe what you are seeing is more a product of the Bruins being a shell of their former selves in every sense of the word, rather than just Lucic. That team was a circus this year. The GM being shown the door is a direct result. I feel the coach will be next.

Presumably, if Lucic is as important as many here seem to think, then he was a major contributing factor to the Bruins being a shell.

I believe what you are seeing is more a product of the Bruins being a shell of their former selves in every sense of the word, rather than just Lucic.  That team was a circus this year.  The GM being shown the door is a direct result.  I feel the coach will be next.

That's because you can't fire all the players. From the times I watched Boston this year, Lucic seemed more like part of the problem vs. part of the solution for them. I just don't think we'd be getting the Lucic of old. ROR just brings more "hockey" to the equation. 

GO SABRES!!!

I really hope that Lucic was part of the problem in Boston.

That way it will be easier / cost less to pry him away from those dastardly Bruins.

Just think about it for bit.  The perpetrator of the act that really started the Sabres downward spin could end up being a Sabre.  *Priceless*.

I really hope that Lucic was part of the problem in Boston.

That way it will be easier / cost less to pry him away from those dastardly Bruins.

Just think about it for bit.  The perpetrator of the act that really started the Sabres downward spin could end up being a Sabre.  *Priceless*.

Oh, I like the poetic justice angle, but for me, it's strictly a hockey decision; O'Reilly best serves our needs both in the short and long term given his more complete game. 

GO SABRES!!!

why is this a question?  the board is usually so enlightened... its like asking if i want ingest poison or something arrogant and bad tasting and over priced but effective in relieving hunger...  where is the third option

Edited by K8prisoner

OReilly for sure.  Lucic would be nice to have, but I think ROR will be a better all around player, have a greater affect on his linemates, and be more of an offense threat on the ice than Lucic.

Honestly, I think you can bring in a Christ Stewart type player and get the same return as Lucic yet cover the RW, which is a position the Sabres are short at.  Whether they do that or not, we shall see.

Edited by dejeanneret

Given the plethora of C's and LW's on the team, neither are a great match for our needs.  I'd rather we went after a player that addresses RW.  If I had a gun to my head and was told to choose one for the current team I'd pick ROR because his versatility would probably be better for us given our roster, but I'd prefer Lucic for the game he brings.  I want his heavy, nasty game come April.

How's that for non-committal?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.