The fans could make the Sabres lose

SabresFanInRochester

If Buffalo fans are desperate for a loss on Saturday, isn't there something that the fans could do to force the league to forfeit the game?

Rule 66 – Forfeit of Game 66.1 Forfeit of Game - In the event of failure by a Club to comply with a provision of the League constitution, by-laws, resolutions, rules or regulations affecting the playing of a game, the Referee shall, if so directed by the Commissioner or his designee, refuse to permit the game to proceed until the offending Club comes into compliance with such provision. Should the offending club persist in its refusal to come into compliance, the Referee shall, with the prior approval of the Commissioner or his designee, declare the game forfeited and the non-offending Club the winner. Should the Referee declare the game forfeited because both Clubs have refused to comply with such a provision, the visiting Club shall be declared the winner. If the game is declared forfeited prior to its having commenced, the score shall be recorded as 1-0 and no player shall be credited with any personal statistics. If the game was in progress at the time it is declared forfeited, the score shall be recorded as zero for the loser and 1, or such greater number of goals that had been scored by it, for the winner; however, the players on both Clubs shall be credited with all personal statistics earned up to the time the forfeit was declared.

I am certainly not advocating anything illegal or impactful on the safety of others, but if the game cannot be played, it seems like Pittsburgh would get a 1-0 win and with that, Buffalo would lose. I seem to recall snow balls being thrown on a field in the NFL and that resulted in penalties, but I thought the refs threatened forfeiture if the infraction was not stopped. Maybe I am incorrect in my recollection.

At the very least, could the fans create unsportsmanlike penalties to be handed out, giving the Pens the power play? How many of those would it take for them to win? Who knows, if fans get arrested, you might have a judge that believes in the tank and looks the other way.

There is a 100% chance that this would result in forfeiture of our pick and the mere mention of the idea in a public forum such as this puts the team at risk.

Another instance where the league just makes stuff up as they go along? I don't know where forfeiting a game and losing a draft pick are connected and mentioned in the rules.

There is a 100% chance that this would result in forfeiture of our pick and the mere mention of the idea in a public forum such as this puts the team at risk.

Greeeeeaaaaat; encourage Loaf fans to buy up cheap tix, dress up as Sabres' fans, & then disrupt the game. <_<

:p

Edited by Taro T

Another instance where the league just makes stuff up as they go along? I don't know where forfeiting a game and losing a draft pick are connected and mentioned in the rules.

Every corporation, every business has their version of the "golden rule." Doing anything to harm the integrity of the game and any punishment is on the table. No league would allow anything close to this.

:w00t:

:w00t:

Classic Heinz Dilemna.

Except that, instead of stealing medicine to save your wife, you would be doing something really useful.  

I will be looking out for you in the police blotter, SabresFaninRochester.

I would take one for the team. (If I knew that no one would be harmed and the pick would not be jeopardized.)

I would take one for the team. (If I knew that no one would be harmed and the pick would not be jeopardized.)

You would certainly gain notoriety, and it would be interesting to talk about. 

I have never accepted the premise that they should be trying to lose, but if I did accept that premise, I could see the merit in your plan.

As a pure hypothetical, how would you pull it off? 

Let the Buffalo chips fall where they may. Advocating anything to effect the outcome is just dumb ( with all due respect ). Let the players on the ice decide the outcome.

Is it dumb? You have a team of players and coach that don't want to lose. You have a fan base and I will assume owner and management who do. I think if you were to act in a way that is accordance with the rules to force a forfeit, you are doing good for the organization. I wouldn't call that dumb. You could call it immoral, passionate, crazy, ... but dumb. I cannot give you that one.

You would certainly gain notoriety, and it would be interesting to talk about. 

I have never accepted the premise that they should be trying to lose, but if I did accept that premise, I could see the merit in your plan.

As a pure hypothetical, how would you pull it off? 

I have not given it that much thought. I just know the rules say a forfeit would result in a loss. What could you do that wouldn't impact someone's health? You could make unsafe playing conditions before anyone took the ice:

• Replace the zamboni water with anti-freeze
  • Continuously get fans to litter the ice with so much rubbish that the rink cannot be maintained.
  • Power outage; but you could create panic. Same reason I would not advocate pulling a fire alarm.
  • Push the glass stanchions over. I once pounded the glass so hard, the panel slid out of its track. If you did that all the way around, it may delay the game so much that they call it.

I think all of my devious hypotheticals involve sabotage. I would hate for anyone to get hurt, but if you ruined a zamboni and sheet of ice and helped your owner secure the tank, you would likely be forgiven.

I also think unsportsmanlike conduct on the fans, resulting in a penalty is just as compelling. Has there ever been such a call made in the NHL? I would be up for getting my first NHL penalty if I had to.

We tried that. They're doing it wrong. (But this idea is dumb.)

What is dumb about it? We want a loss. The rules state a forfeit would result in a loss. If you could impose a loss through a forfeit, that is "dumb?" Explain, while you tip-toe through the immoral -- let the players throw the game, or let our GM sell all of our assets so we don't stand a chance. You have to ask, where do you draw the line. My proposal is outside-the-box. If it worked, and you received a loss, without penalty from the league, would you still be upset?

Let the players decide. You come in 30th, 29th, 28th , whatever. It is what it is. Thats the point. 

I will not be argumentative, because I certainly agree. Trust me, I am not trying to go to jail on behalf of the Sabres. But, would it work?

Your statement -- "Let the players decide." Is it then unfair for fans to make noise at a football game so the other team cannot hear the snap count and they jump offsides? According to your statement, wouldn't you advocate we sit on our hands and remain quiet so the the best team wins?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.