2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

I think Tkachuk has the intangibles. Those are hard to define though. But aside from being very talented as both a scorer and playmaker, he has a gritty intensity and isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. Those final 2 qualities when combined with the first two make him a hell of a package.

The eichel line could use some grit, like tkachuk, as neither him nor Reinhart are overly physical - so I see that match. Too bad Girgs couldnt fill that role but he regressed big time. The cost to move from #8 to #4 is the question?? If you're going to explore moving to #4, why not give CLB at #3 a call?

The eichel line could use some grit, like tkachuk, as neither him nor Reinhart are overly physical - so I see that match. Too bad Girgs couldnt fill that role but he regressed big time. The cost to move from #8 to #4 is the question?? If you're going to explore moving to #4, why not give CLB at #3 a call?

Definitely, to both your proposed questions. The cost of moving to 4 is the rub, if it's not too high I'd love to get Tkachuk. How does Tkachuk - Eichel - Reinhart sound? Looks like a line that checks all the boxes to me.

As for the second question, I'm sure they would explore a trade to 3. Getting Puljujarvi, one of the big three, a guy with sky high potential who's going to jump immediately to the NHL, would be a major, major coup. I very much doubt Columbus would trade that pick, though.

But if we have the chance to trade up for Tkachuk, with an outside chance at Puljujarvi, I'm very interested in that trade.

Clb desperately wants a center but after Matthews there's no one worth it to (magically) around the 8th pick. #8, girgs, Pysyk and 2 2016 3rd rounders for #3.

That's a tough one. Is Puljujarvi worth: Keller, Girgs, Pysyk, and two 3rds?

Perhaps in a vacuum, but that is a lot of assets being spent on something that isn't a LHD.

Agreed. The thing is, it keeps being brought up that we will be spending assets on a LHD, but is it really likely that that's how we'll be getting that LHD? How many top 4 LHD are on the trade market right now? It may need to be filled it free agency, with the likes of Gologoski and Yandle. A plus side is that doesn't require us to give up assets.

Doesn't Evander Kane play on that line?

Also I'm not sold on Tkachuk. He's not worth trading the farm for.

I think I like the defenders a lot better than most. That said I would take keller over Juolevi because I like the gamble.

Nope, Kane plays on the O'Reilly line, other winger the, probably ennis

The edm article is interesting. Talking about their abundance of LHD a d our RHD. They proposed #8 and Bogo for #4 and Griffin Reinhart. I think I'd have to do that

Nope, Kane plays on the O'Reilly line, other winger the, probably ennis

The edm article is interesting. Talking about their abundance of LHD a d our RHD. They proposed #8 and Bogo for #4 and Griffin Reinhart. I think I'd have to do that

It's not a terrible trade, and it gets Bogosian off the books.  It allows Buffalo to control their board outside the top 3, to pick whoever they want or feel who they feel is the best player outside of Mathews and the Finn's.  Reinhart isn't that great, but he'd be an interesting young bottom pair D.  

I definitely saw Kane play with Jack and Sam. I personally don't think they to be physical but they need to engage along the the boards and in front. Sam already does that.

Tkachuk-Eichel-Reinhart would be more scary than Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner, IMO.  The passing, the movement around the net, and bigger size than Marner/Dvorak.  

Even better would be getting Chychrun and somehow convincing Vesey to come to Buffalo to play with Jack.  

I mean Eichel Reinhart are already bigger than MarnerDvorak

I know that, but the skill is also just as good if not greater.  So I was saying how scary that line could potentially be!  :)

Edited by TheCerebral1

Sorry, everything I've read here to move up to 4 is too rich for me. Not interested in Griffin either and see Bogo as long term here. Pass. We cant have a D consisting of all pansies plus Risto.

Figuring Georges has one year left.

Give me Chychrun, Juolevi or Sergachev over Keller.  I like the prospect but, I prefer to build from the back forward.  Give me the best fit based on Murray and companies choice and go from there.  Stanley cups are built on the backs of D.  Ala Doughty, Seabrook, Keith, and even if you call him a stud Letang.  *The only way I take a forward is if Tkachuk fell.  I think Keller has a lot of upside, but I just don't trust that pick from my gut.

This is exactly my take as well. I think we need another top defensman or two in order to make a real playoff run. My guy is Chychrun since we need another power play defenseman, but if Murray likes one of the other top defense prospects better then I trust him.

Janne Koukkanen, Tarmo Reunanen ,Aapeli Rasanen , Eetu Tuulola ,Otto Somppi, Otto Makinen, Markus Niemelainen and Veini Vehvilainen are all draft eligible Fins. None of these prospects were rated as high picks going into the season, not sure how they grade out now. I don't know much about any of them but as a group Finland has been playing well internationally so I wonder how that will translate to the draft?

Nice write up on Otto Mäkinen on http://thehockeywriters.com/here's a quote on him

"He’s a playmaking center with big-game experience who has been Finland’s top dog at the last handful of U18 tournaments, anchoring the top line and top power play unit. Makinen can thread the needle and get pucks through passing lanes with accuracy, and will dig into the trenches to win puck battles."

Some other highlights:

Makinen has good size and is hard to knock off the puck as he uses his reach to protect the puck. He is a strong skater and uses his powerful first strides to get rid of opponents while rushing through the neutral zone. He has a decent understanding of his defensive responsibilities and backchecks well. Makinen uses his reach to interrupt passes and is often on the ice to kill penalties due to his advanced defensive zone game. Furthermore, Makinen is a strong face-off player and due to his two-way game, he can be used to win key face-offs in the offensive as well as the defensive zones.

Plenty of 3rd round picks available, definitely worthy of using one on him.

Markus Niemeläinen looks like a late 1st to mid 2nd round pick. Strong defensive game, strong skater but lacks high end speed. Heres some ranks:

THW War Room Rankings: 38

ISS: Unranked

Future Considerations: Unranked

Bob Mckenzie (TSN): 33

Craig Button (TSN): 33

HockeyProspect.com: Unranked

Pike’s Picks: 44

Consensus: Unranked

Maybe he lasts till the 3rd? All fin 3rd round in 2016, cmon GMTM.

Markus Niemeläinen looks like a late 1st to mid 2nd round pick. Strong defensive game, strong skater but lacks high end speed. Heres some ranks:

THW War Room Rankings: 38

ISS: Unranked

Future Considerations: Unranked

Bob Mckenzie (TSN): 33

Craig Button (TSN): 33

HockeyProspect.com: Unranked

Pike’s Picks: 44

Consensus: Unranked

Maybe he lasts till the 3rd? All fin 3rd round in 2016, cmon GMTM.

I love his tape, I definitely want him over other D in the middle rounds if he's there.  One can only hope.  We were teased a few seasons ago now when Lemeiux vs Barbashev were sitting at the top of the first round. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.