GDT: Buffalo @ Colorado, 9:00 PM EST

WildCard

I'm all about clinching, but that cannot happen until at least after Monday nights game is over is that not true?  At that point should we lose both, Arizona would conceivably be 8 points back, depending on their other outcome this weekend.  And Edmonton is already 9 back with their win against Dallas last night.  Richard Bachman, man of the hour.  

We have 8 games left and 48 points, so right now our max is 64.  Arizona has 54 points (with a game going on right now.)  If they win this one and the one against us, then they would have 58 points.  If we lose tonight and the head-to-head, both in regulation, then we would have 48 with 6 games left for a max of 60.  The soonest that we can clinch in April Fools Day against the Leafs (a loss would take us to 58 max and one less ROW than the Yotes could get.)  What could go wrong there? ;)

Now, want to know when the earliest that Arizona could clinch is? :P

Edited by carpandean

We have 8 games left and 48 points, so right now our max is 64.  Arizona has 54 points (with a game going on right now.)  If they win this one and the one against us, then they would have 58 points.  If we lose tonight and the head-to-head, both in regulation, then we would have 48 with 6 games left for a max of 60.  The soonest that we can clinch in April Fools Day against the Leafs (a loss would take us to 58 max and one less ROW than the Yotes could get.)  What could go wrong there? ;)

Now, want to know when the earliest that Arizona could clinch is? :P

April 7.

Same here, watching Lorentz while listening to Ted Darling doing the play by play. That is one classic voice I will never forget.

I remember listening to the clock radio so low that I could hardly hear it because my mom would get mad if I wasn't "going to sleep" for school. Back in the day when only the road games were televised.

To be a kid again.

I think RJ did the away games on the radio and Ted did the home games. Who was the color guy way back then?

Edited by sicknfla

I remember listening to the clock radio so low that I could hardly hear it because my mom would get mad if I wasn't "going to sleep" for school. Back in the day when only the road games were televised.

To be a kid again.

I think RJ did the away games on the radio and Ted did the home games. Who was the color guy way back then?

That's a whale of a question about who did color on the radio in the early days. In my mind, I can't hear any other voice alongside Rick's on the radio. I can hear seconds of silence and Rick making small talk between whistles. This Wikipedia page doesn't list a color man on the radio until Danny Gare in 1990-91, but that doesn't seem right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Sabres_broadcasters

For awhile, for road games on the radio, Ted would do the first and third period and Rick the second, so each could be considered the color commentator.

To add another wrinkle, Rick and Paul Wieland did some home games on cable TV in the early days.

This would be a great project for someone, to compile the complete list of who did what when. I think you'd just need all the media guides, and the Sabres surely have those.

Another thing that nags at me occasionally is that I can vaguely remember Rick calling a game not involving the Sabres. Maybe at some point if he did a game for a national network or something — but I think I remember hearing this on the radio. I almost want to say it was late in the regular season in the early 80s and it was a game that had dramatic playoff implications for the Sabres.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

To be a kid again.

Been there falling asleep listening to games.

OK, duh, Lorentz was Rick's color man in the early 80s — at least the 82-83 season. I should have known that because I recall Rick getting sick one night and Lorentz took over the play by play for the rest of the night and at least one more game after that. And he was good.

This is confirmed by my 82-83 media guide. Lorentz was with Rick on radio all year. Don Dussias was the host.

Thirty games (27 on the road) were on Channel 2 with Ted and color man Pat Hannigan and Ed Kilgore as host. The Wikipedia page is wrong, go figure. Thirty additional home games were on cable TV. Ted, Gerry Meehan and Ralph Hubbell.

OK, duh, Lorentz was Rick's color man in the early 80s — at least the 82-83 season. I should have known that because I recall Rick getting sick one night and Lorentz took over the play by play for the rest of the night and at least one more game after that. And he was good.

This is confirmed by my 82-83 media guide. Lorentz was with Rick on radio all year. Don Dussias was the host.

Thirty games (27 on the road) were on Channel 2 with Ted and color man Pat Hannigan and Ed Kilgore as host. The Wikipedia page is wrong, go figure. Thirty additional home games were on cable TV. Ted, Gerry Meehan and Ralph Hubbell.

Yep. Remember them all now that the memory is refreshed. Larry Playfair for awhile. Danny Gare of course.

Wait there's another side?!?! I feel like those kids in that horror story where they go into enchanted woods and can never leave

You can check out any time you like.

This reminds me. Rick has told the story about how when Jim came to the Sabres, he was Jim "Lawrence." Rick, with his flair for showmanship, convinced him to go with "Luh-RENTZ" — or at least to allow Rick to say it that way on the air. I have no idea how Jim says his last name in "real life."

My surname can be said two ways. One is the traditional Polish pronunciation; the other is the anglicized version (what it looks like in English). It could be this is the case here?

Same here, watching Lorentz while listening to Ted Darling doing the play by play. That is one classic voice I will never forget.

A voice like excitable silk.

I took his daughter to the prom. I had no idea who her dad was until late senior year. I wish I'd have known. She was a lovely girl and I was very awkward teen.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

A voice like excitable silk.

That's the most incredible metaphor, simile, whatever. Perfect. I was going to quibble with "excitable," but if silk got excited, that's what it would sound like! I was always a Jeanneret man, but Ted was top-notch. I think Dunleavy has a lot of Darling in him.

I just had this conversation a week or two ago with my brother and he was pretty sure the first games broadcast locally were on Ch 7 with Ted Darling and Rick Azar, I was 8 years old so I really can't remember. The earliest I can remember when ch 29 started showing games locally.

I just had this conversation a week or two ago with my brother and he was pretty sure the first games broadcast locally were on Ch 7 with Ted Darling and Rick Azar, I was 8 years old so I really can't remember. The earliest I can remember when ch 29 started showing games locally.

The Sabres have put their first two media guides online. http://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/media-guide/ From those we know that Channel 7 televised nine road games in 1970-71 with Dave Hodge and Rick Azar doing the play by play. Ted did all the games on WGR Radio, apparently by himself.

In season 2, Ted moved to TV (still Channel 7) for 14 games, all but three of them on the road. The guide says Ted "shared broadcasting duties" with Hodge and Azar. Rick joined the team and called the games on radio when Ted was on TV. Ted did all the radio-only games, with Rick his color man at home.

It must have been the next season that Rick and Paul Wieland did games on cable TV, since a picture of the two of them is in Wieland's book with the date 1972.

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

I always figured Rick's first broadcast of a Sabres game would have been the first game of the 1971-72 season. But I just realized it would have been the first TV broadcast of that season, October 14 at Boston.

I wanted to publicly thank you.  It just arrived at my doorstep.  How did you know?! The Betty Crocker for my butt hurt!  

You somehow know just what a woman wants, and how to get her what she needs.  A true gentleman.

This guy, folks, is a True Gentleman.  :worthy:

I wanted to publicly thank you.  It just arrived at my doorstep.  How did you know?! The Betty Crocker for my butt hurt!  

You somehow know just what a woman wants, and how to get her what she needs.  A true gentleman.

This guy, folks, is a True Gentleman.  :worthy:

That's where the batter goes. Trust me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.