GDT Coyotes at Sabres 3-26-2015 7PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

Fans should have kept the cheering inside themselves, i wanted to loose as well, but there are players on the ice giving the best they can.

Any update on grigs , how did he look like ?

That is called repression and it tends to come out sideways, at the worst time.  This is an appropriate time to do what fans did.  Not saying I would, but I understand.

And as predicted, it's all over the Internet as to how the Sabres fans cheered for the Coyotes. That's the worst part, but I think we all knew this was coming sooner or later.

i didnt think much of this... but watching weber teary interview..

im not saying he is right, but it truly goes to show this team will try to f^ck the fans the last 8 games if this continues (as weber warns, not that they can do much since they suck...)... as fans, you might want to tone down your excitement to have vmore control on obtaining mceichel ... you have 22, 23 guys that want to collectively screw your disloyal ass@s out of mceichel... i know he (weber) is being unrealistic but all he really is asking for is the quiet fist bump (as someone here suggested) not actually cheering against the home team to make their work environment a living hell...

im on board w the tank but anyone who thinks this is all a waste without mceichel (as i do) better tone down the cheering or see some inspired play by guys that had nothing to play for.. 

Wow, you mean we are "rebuilding" or tanking or whatever. I think we , everybody, everywhere knew that. I am sure they have done a segment on the 76s, the Bucs pulling their starters in the their last game last year , Indy sitting players in their last two games in their "suck for Luck" campaign.

Again, I don't mean this personally, but i can't recall one time in the last three years anyone saying Indy as an organization, or that their fan base, is somehow dirty. I know I sure as chit did not hear anything in the AFC Championship game they played in last year.

Let them blast away, nothing but talk show fodder

Agreed, slow news time right now.  The fact that Mike and Mike are focusing on hockey is a step in the right direction.  Still until ESPN actually covers the sport, I say a big whatever.  P.S. I seem to remember the Colt fans cheering the other team toward the end of the year before they drafted Luck....  Whatever.

Mike & Mike just did a whole segment on the Sabres and how GMTM openly admitted a month ago the team is tanking... Yeah, that bad

we better tone it down.. we are being warned all over the place that they will try to take away mceichel... 8 games left to act humble w a smile, as someone else here suggested as well, after a loss...

The Sabres organization deserved a kick in the a** from the fans last night. They've been cheating the fans out of their $ the last two years and yet the fans have showed up. This represented to me a revolt of sorts. The only thing I regret that our bass-ackwards development systems puts players on the ice who are too young and they had to experience the fan reaction. This might have made a very bad impression on the younger developing players like Zadorov, Grigo, Risto, Larsson etc. This is not what it's all about. On another note I think Hackett is toast as a Sabre.

Here's a vision.  I am curious as to whether you think the same as I do. 

There are many fans who desire to finish last to have a guarantee of drafting one or the other of McEichel.  Others think the whole concept of tanking to get one of them sucks.  Easy to understand both sides.  (Disclosure: I happen to want one of them very badly).

IF we end up last, I think the long path of discord among Sabres fans is over.  For me, with one of those players, it is all about WINNING and only about WINNING from that point on.  I do not anticipate an instant turnaround.  But, dammit, I expect this team to make progress quickly and aggressively with all the prospects and draft picks we have.  I will be angry if they do not show a lot of forward progress... and, like, next year.

So I think we all reunite on common ground right after the draft.  I think the bickering stops and we are all of one mind at that point.  Agree?

There are many fans who desire to finish last to have a guarantee of drafting one or the other of McEichel.  Others think the whole concept of tanking to get one of them sucks.  Easy to understand both sides.  (Disclosure: I happen to want one of them very badly).

IF we end up last, I think the long path of discord among Sabres fans is over.  For me, with one of those players, it is all about WINNING and only about WINNING from that point on.  I do not anticipate an instant turnaround.  But, dammit, I expect this team to make progress quickly and aggressively with all the prospects and draft picks we have.  I will be angry if they do not show a lot of forward progress... and, like, next year.

So I think we all reunite on common ground right after the draft.  I think the bickering stops and we are all of one mind at that point.  Agree?

Most agree...  the thing is everyone could see that this team was bottom 5 from the beginning of the year unlike the Leaves.  So rooting for the top pick is understandable especially after the trade deadline when it became so obvious that there was nothing left to cheer for.  Next year is a whole nother animal.  Not saying they will make the playoffs, but the building blocks are available to start developing.  Maybe one more top 5 depending on record and circumstance, but at least as others have said not this boring crap Sabres are calling professional hockey.  Heck my beer league team looks better than them on some nights.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/581272915875901442

The tank just got stronger, ennis with an upper body injury :D

happiness over a injury, this could be a new all time low,wow, as forgive and forget, I forgive, but at the same time I don't forget,  not sure if I am in the majority or minority, I just am

Edited by rumblefish

Here's a vision. I am curious as to whether you think the same as I do.

There are many fans who desire to finish last to have a guarantee of drafting one or the other of McEichel. Others think the whole concept of tanking to get one of them sucks. Easy to understand both sides. (Disclosure: I happen to want one of them very badly).

IF we end up last, I think the long path of discord among Sabres fans is over. For me, with one of those players, it is all about WINNING and only about WINNING from that point on. I do not anticipate an instant turnaround. But, dammit, I expect this team to make progress quickly and aggressively with all the prospects and draft picks we have. I will be angry if they do not show a lot of forward progress... and, like, next year.

So I think we all reunite on common ground right after the draft. I think the bickering stops and we are all of one mind at that point. Agree?

The level of acrimony will dwindle for sure but the tank vs. Anti tank will always lurk below the surface.

For example...if we blow the shart you can be damn sure the McEichel or bust crowd won't let it die.

If we are fortunate enough to have McEichel in a Sabres uniform next year and he goes pointless in his first game, then we all know what we'll be hearing. At the end of the day it's all par for the course internet nonsense.

Yes.  The fans behavior is both rational and sophisticated.  Look at the economics of it. 

The goal is to win the cup each year.  Next, make the playoffs.  When it became clear that neither would happen-- and there was a brief moment when folks were talking playoffs in late 2014--what is the consolation prize, getting a generational player. Finishing say 24th is meaningless. Fans in many cities would not get that because they lack a deep understanding of the game(although because it is McDavid and Eichel, it is not that hard).  Sabres fans are taking the long view because, well there is no other view to take.  The current team is an embarrassment, the fans did not put that team on the ice, the team did.

Look at the NFL and the QB position.  Indy gets Manning and the Luck because they sucked at the right time.  Did they tank?  Who knows and who cares because they got Manning and Luck.  McEichel is just one more piece in a rebuilding puzzle.  Looking forward to next year when a team with more talent-- McEichel, Reinhart, Ennis, Kane, Girgensons, Risto, Bogosian, etc-- takes the ice.

Edited by Devjid Drychovny

Wow. Howard Simon going off on Bucky Gleason.

Yeah--I just posted in the SHH thread about it.  He went absolutely nutso.  Rare to see a media person criticize another like that, but I really enjoyed it.

In other news, is this the longest GDT of the season?

I don't mean this personally, but why in the world would you care some hack like Vogl or Harringtom or Gleason from another city are writing? I am 100% confident you have more hockey knowledge in your pinky than all 3 of them combined. I think as Buffalonians, and Buffalo sports fans, we have always had such an inferiority complex, worried about what the "big boys " think about us as a fan base and a city. Think Boston fans care we , or some goofball writer,think that they are pompous pricks or are they more concerned with counting rings in that city.

Screw em, we got us a " big boy" owner now, the city is coming back, screw everyone else. I am not a season ticket holder, but I can't be prouder to be a Sabre fan than after these last two years. That building has been packed for 3 years of awful hockey, packed, and I mean truly awful hockey. Those fans going night in and night out are to be commended.

And correct me if I am wrong, their coach has preached all year about he has had"passengers" , even said post game last night he had some guys who were not "ready to

Play".

And if it was the "other" fans, only there for last night, then You know they are not the heart of the fan base, so don't sweat what hear or read.

I am 52, never ever rooted against a Buffalo team or booed a Buffalo team, and I am pretty damn sure I would have let out a hearty cheer when that OT goal went in.

I didn't mean this to sound like I'm bothered by it, because I'm not. I knew long ago what we were in for. It's just that the buildup to this game bothered me because everyone in hockey nation said that IF the Sabres lose, it's because they tried to on purpose. That is total horse and it pisses me off that everyone thinks that way about the Sabres. These players have not given up one iota. They may suck as a team, but you can't question their compete level.

I can't really understand why some fans, apparently, cheered the Coyotes winning goal.

I know why they did it, but I could never do it.

I hope we (all Sabre fans) can put this all behind us.  The mending needs to start now.

Couldn't have said it better. We are family....

I didn't mean this to sound like I'm bothered by it, because I'm not. I knew long ago what we were in for. It's just that the buildup to this game bothered me because everyone in hockey nation said that IF the Sabres lose, it's because they tried to on purpose. That is total horse ###### and it pisses me off that everyone thinks that way about the Sabres. These players have not given up one iota. They may suck as a team, but you can't question their compete level.

From the third period I saw, the Sabres were definitely playing to win.

I rarely listen to WGR, but it seems the Buffalo News has long taken a pass on roster moves and what actually happens in the game. A couple hundred yahoo fans are simply much more interesting. Their coverage this morning struck me as cheap and lazy.

The whiff of a fart in a mitten.

From the third period I saw, the Sabres were definitely playing to win.

Absolutely. I played in many a beer league and no matter how bad the teams I played on were, I always wanted to win. And all I got paid per game was maybe a beer or two and a case of chlamydia on occasion.

The bottom is hit at the end of the season.  The slate is clean and we start building with a bunch more good draft picks, a handful of guys worth keeping, a pile of picks to trade if necessary for established vets with good attitudes, open cap space for free agents, and a few guys coming back from injury who look to be difference makers.  

I will start watching again in July when the off season starts,  In the meantime, this was what needed to happen, and we traded away everything we could so we could start clean.  This is what decisive, unsentimental people do.  

Absolutely. I played in many a beer league and no matter how bad the teams I played on were, I always wanted to win. And all I got paid per game was maybe a beer or two and a case of chlamydia on occasion.

This wins the internet today.   Laughing my ass off....

SabresBuzz ‏@SabresBuzz 9m9 minutes ago

Kaleta: "I play for the fans who root for us and the little kids who come to the game & root for the Buffalo Sabres. Thats who I play for"

You also play for a paycheck that's 20 to 50 times larger than the fans cheering you. Boo-frickin-hoo, Pat.

You know I clearly recall days on Sabrespace when this team was fighting for 8th place year after year, and people here demanded management blow the team up. It was "unbearable" watching the Sabres flounder in the middle of the pack. Good times.

Now here we are about to turn the corner, in sight if the finish line, and people are talking ethics?? Spare me.

Edited by Promonov Robotnik

You also play for a paycheck that's 20 to 50 times larger than the fans cheering you. Boo-frickin-hoo, Pat.

You know I clearly recall days on Sabrespace when this team was fighting for 8th place year after year, and people here demanded management blow the team up. It was "unbearable" watching the Sabres flounder in the middle of the pack. Good times.

Now here we are about to turn the corner, in sight if the finish line, and people are talking ethics?? Spare me.

It's hard to rip on a guy who gives 110% night in and night out no matter what. I mean how many players are willing to block a slapshot with their face playing for a last place team.

Awesome, cant wait to listen in a bit. I posted on OTW as well, i am one of the idots that actually pays for digital access, just cause i do. Cancelled this morning, told them i can come here to get insulted for free :w00t:

HAHA. Remind me to stay away from your fanbase!

..i look at this like a football team letting the other team score a touchdown so they can get the ball back and hopefully tie the score up. Seems un-natural, but its just the way it is.

Since I am not going to give them views of their obviously crappy article, what did Bucky write or say?

They read part of the article over the air and the audio will be on the GR website soon, but it was something about how fans are compromising their values by rooting for the Sabres to lose.

I don't know what world that idiot (Gleason) lives in, but my values have next to nothing to do with the Sabres or with spectator sports in general.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.