GDT:Washington at Buffalo. 3/16/2015 7:00 NBCSN

Brawndo

So how much of this do you credit Ted Nolan with ? The guys playing smart hockey. For each other. 

For the record I agree with your post. I'm seeing the same things. Frankly its been happening for a while without much results but the team truly seem to care. They play hard most nights. Haven't seen too many passengers. Perhaps we're beginning to witness the culture change TN and GMTM have talked about ?

I think we saw it in December too but then the injury bug disrupted things.  I also think that Nolan has, at times, purposely manipulated lines an playing time to maximize the tank.  I think that either Nolan is a buffoon who can't coach at all, or a mad genius who'll win us McEichel then catapult the team into the playoffs.  The timetable on his contract is perfect (he's there through next season, right?) to give him a shot to show what he can do with some talented players.  

On the other hand, if they can pry Babcock out of Detroit, they'll kick Nolan upstairs.

I can't really say what I believe (buffoon or genius) or which I prefer (Nolan or Babcock).

After this season.... just win, baby.

I think we saw it in December too but then the injury bug disrupted things.  I also think that Nolan has, at times, purposely manipulated lines an playing time to maximize the tank.  I think that either Nolan is a buffoon who can't coach at all, or a mad genius who'll win us McEichel then catapult the team into the playoffs.  The timetable on his contract is perfect (he's there through next season, right?) to give him a shot to show what he can do with some talented players.  

On the other hand, if they can pry Babcock out of Detroit, they'll kick Nolan upstairs.

I can't really say what I believe (buffoon or genius) or which I prefer (Nolan or Babcock).

After this season.... just win, baby.

Nice. I'm all in for the win next season. Its full on rah rah rah for me.

I thought the Sabres looked smaller than the Rangers. In fact, I recall, recently, being a little surprised at how much smaller the Sabres still look playing against some teams. I'm sure there has to be a "how-you-play-the-game" factor to these impressions.

Ennis, Varone, Larsson, Hodgson, Benoit, Ruhwedel are small. I expect only 2 of them to be regs nest season.

Kane, Deslauries, Foligno, Risto, Zadorov, Bogosian, Girgensons, Grigerenko, Weber are not small guys and will be regulars as will a couple of thumpers that GMTM will bring to the roster. No need to worry.

I thought that was a masterful tanking touch by Nolan to put the kid in there to tie the game.

See this is the genius of Nolan.  Gets the 65 minute effort and then gives the extra point away in the shootout.  (It has to be genius because no one could be that bad of a bench boss.)

Entertaining game.

Foligno (finished every check, always moving forward), Risto (loved how he wanted Ovechkin) and Larsson (finally, a guy who can play puck possession hockey) were beasts tonight.

Gives me hope.

Edited by dudacek

The Sabres looked pretty good tonight. Granted the Caps were playing a back-to-back, but I felt we even controlled the play at times. Hope to see the guys rewarded with a couple of wins down the stretch for their hard work. And I hope the Yotes and Oil come up with a few wins for themselves too. Best to finish this thing off, now that we are so far down the "tank" road.

Yeah, Larsson has been a revelation these last few games, eh?

Damn right. If he keeps this up, I could see him as a great third-line centre, maybe with Zemgus and Foligno on his wings.

Yeah, Larsson has been a revelation these last few games, eh?

I actually don't think that Larsson looks all that different than he ever has. I think people are just coming around to the fact that it doesn't matter if you keep your feet as long as you keep the puck.

Foligno has looked great, also.

Loved the skirmish between Weber and Ovechkin.   The NBCSN clowns were prattling something like "OMG!!!!  He's punching the NHL's leading scorer!"   Do I gather that in NBCLaLa Land, apparently one is supposed to be attacked and not respond, just stand there and take it,  if it's "The NHL's Leading Scorer" doing the attacking?

Edited by Jsixspd

Loved the skirmish between Weber and Ovechkin.   The NBCSN clowns were prattling something like "OMG!!!!  He's punching the NHL's leading scorer!"   Do I gather that in NBCLaLa Land, apparently one is supposed to be attacked and not respond, just stand there and take it,  if it's "The NHL's Leading Scorer" doing the attacking?

Why did the refs get in there so quick? He wants to go let 'em go!

Why did the refs get in there so quick? He wants to go let 'em go!

Yeah, I agree.  He wanted to fight, and Mike Weber was clearly happy to oblige.  :)   Ovechkin made the error of letting Mike get braced against the boards, so he had better leverage to throw punches too!  

Apparently, like in the NFL, there are certain players to be protected via unwritten directives.  Usually don't see the officials get in there when players are still throwing punches.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.