Murray has eye on top pick — in 2016

PASabreFan

This thread promises to be a real head-desker because PA and a few others read the quote one way and many other another.

You can't have a good discussion if you can't agree on the premise of that discussion,

I guess. There's really nothing else to say. It'll be interesting to revisit this quote after we've heard Murray say more after the season, especially after the draft. I continue to find it puzzling that he'd make a statement like that before knowing if a generational talent the likes of which the NHL rarely sees will be in the lineup on opening day. Or not. Leave it to the Sabres to make Connor McDavid earn his keep in Rochester for a season.

I guess. There's really nothing else to say. It'll be interesting to revisit this quote after we've heard Murray say more after the season, especially after the draft. I continue to find it puzzling that he'd make a statement like that before knowing if a generational talent the likes of which the NHL rarely sees will be in the lineup on opening day. Or not. Leave it to the Sabres to make Connor McDavid earn his keep in Rochester for a season.

McDavid would have to play in the OHL again next year.  Eichel could play for Rochester though.

2 scenarios that will not happen.

Can't figure out how to post a picture on the mobile. I'm thinking Veruca Salt screaming I WANT IT NOW!

How about just wanting it before the '17-'18 season? Is that too immature and impatient? It's a serious question because I just don't know anymore how long I'm supposed to wait for me to like my team again. And to Ted Black and Terry, I won't and haven't spent a cent on them in the interim. Maybe that will get their attention.

Edited by SumpfV

How about just wanting it before the '17-'18 season? Is that too immature and impatient? It's a serious question because I just don't know anymore how long I'm supposed to wait for me to like my team again. And to Ted Black and Terry, I won't and haven't spent a cent on them in the interim. Maybe that will get their attention.

I think they'll be likable next season, they just won't be especially good. But I do expect some entertaining hockey.

Day two? OK. I was hoping, this being a major holiday and all, that we'd be like the British and the Germans during the Great War meeting in no man's land and kicking a soccer ball around and singing "We're gonna win that Cup (in 2024)." Thought chz, bio or Jo might even show up with porterhouses.

Agreed. No more posting in this thread until everyone gets their steak and bj out of the way.  I already sent my wife out to the butcher and will report back later.

Edited by Claude_Verret

And I don't want one with his head in the clouds unable to acknowledge reality. To expect to make the playoffs he'd have to expect a 40 point improvement. That's insane.

Apparently.

That quote wasn't an expression of his interpretation of reality.  It was an expression of what he wants.  If we take his words at face value, apparently he wants to be in the lottery again next season.  

This thread promises to be a real head-desker because PA and a few others read the quote one way and many other another.

You can't have a good discussion if you can't agree on the premise of that discussion,

Truthi-ness.

Day two? OK. I was hoping, this being a major holiday and all, that we'd be like the British and the Germans during the Great War meeting in no man's land and kicking a soccer ball around and singing "We're gonna win that Cup (in 2024)." Thought chz, bio or Jo might even show up with porterhouses.

But if you'd rather have it this way...

What are you driving at? That Murray's actions signal that he's trying to accelerate the rebuild, maybe even thinking about the Sabres competing for a playoff spot next season, but he wants to keep expectations low, for the benefit of the players, the fans, other GMs who are sizing him up?

I might be hung up on two words here, but my problem isn't that Tim expressed a cold analysis of where he thinks the team will be. It's that he thinks of the new lottery rules "selfishly" while he "hope"s that the Sabres are in the running for it. That tells me, even before he knows if he's getting McDavid or Hanifin, before he knows what free agents might be willing to come, before he knows what trades are available, that his mind is set on what he wants out of next season. That smacks of something he said he didn't want to be, that rebuilding GM who milks a situation for job security. It smacks of the use of losing as a means to an end, and that was supposed to end this season.

Everything after the bold is pretty wild speculation.

I'm in the the third party of I don't try to analyze what someone's subject motives are from a sports interview. Then again I'm not a crazy person xd

You all are crazy haha. Keeps the board interesting

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

I couldn't find the interview, but a while ago GMTM said that if the rebuild was just about making the playoffs, he could go out in free agency and sign a bunch of veterans and make the playoffs in seventh or eighth place every year. But that isn't what he's doing. He's building a team that will compete for the top of the league and the Stanley Cup year after year. You can't do that overnight. 

That is what makes this rebuild so painful, but so tremendously exciting for the educated and true Sabres fan. We've lived with being "just good enough" for almost our entire hockey lives. Yeah. we made the Stanley Cup Finals in 1999, but without Hasek that team had no place being in the Finals. We've never had a Chicago or a Detroit or a Pittsburgh or Los Angeles type hockey team that gets talked about year after year as one of the most likely teams to win it all. That is what this is about.

I look forward to the day where THE SABRES are the team everyone fears, and other fans keep wondering where we keep getting this great talent that we can plug into our lineup and keep winning, and where hockey free agents put Buffalo at the top of their list of destinations because of our culture and our successes. We've always been also-rans. This isn't about just making it - this is about being THE TEAM.

I'd rather wait for the ultimate result than be impatient and reactionary and unreasonable and demand successes NOW.

I have full trust in Tim Murray and I know we're doing the rebuild the correct way. And I suspect we'll be close to making the playoffs next year as a result of our young players replacing bad ones, adding McEichel and Reinhart and Kane, and a few smart free-agent signings and moves from GMTM this offseason. But I don't expect the President's Trophy - YET. Neither does GMTM. 

So, AGAIN, what GMTM meant by his quote was IF we don't make the playoffs next year - and without a more than 40 point leap in the standings in one year, we won't - then we'll have a chance at a top 1, 2, or 3 pick. That is all.

And if you don't like it, root for the Lightning or some other team with worse fans.

If we come out of these two drafts with Reinhart and Marner/Strome does anyone think we are remotely on our way to be a Cup contender?? Both would be a year or two away. Reinhart - ???. We would need multiple more lottery style drafts.

So Murray better pray to God he ends up with McEichel or else he is screwed. I think if we don't get McEichel the rebuild might take a different direction. Just building an average team within 3 years might be considered a huge accomplishment. Nevermind any pipe dream Cup contender crap.

That quote wasn't an expression of his interpretation of reality. It was an expression of what he wants. If we take his words at face value, apparently he wants to be in the lottery again next season.

Truthi-ness.

I just don't think a guy intent on deliberately icing a terrible team again does the Kane trade. I just don't. Why trade futures for a 1st liner if your mission is to get good odds to win the lottery? This leads me to believe the literal words that came out weren't exactly what he meant.

If we come out of these two drafts with Reinhart and Marner/Strome does anyone think we are remotely on our way to be a Cup contender?? Both would be a year or two away. Reinhart - ???. We would need multiple more lottery style drafts.

So Murray better pray to God he ends up with McEichel or else he is screwed. I think if we don't get McEichel the rebuild might take a different direction. Just building an average team within 3 years might be considered a huge accomplishment. Nevermind any pipe dream Cup contender crap.

Marner/Strome combined with Reinhart absolutely puts us on the path to contention; it's just going to take longer that way. I think McEichel shaves a year off the rebuild, but not getting one does not even come close to dooming us.

If they missed out on McDavid and Eichel, I might take one more shot at trying to get Auston Matthews...he's putting up better numbers than Eichel did with the US development team.

Sean Day, Jakob Cychrun, Jesse Puljujarvi, Luke Kirwan, Max Jones, Matthew Tkachuk...there's a lot of good talent coming out next year too.

I just pray it doesn't come to that. Lol. I (most of us) have waited 2 years for this now...they got Reinhart, now get McDavid and my 2-3 year dream will come true!

(Casey Bailey and Matt O'Connor factor into that dream now too...I desperately want them, and feel like it would be two extra first, or at least second, round picks! Lol.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I just don't think a guy intent on deliberately icing a terrible team again does the Kane trade. I just don't. Why trade futures for a 1st liner if your mission is to get good odds to win the lottery? This leads me to believe the literal words that came out weren't exactly what he meant.

Marner/Strome combined with Reinhart absolutely puts us on the path to contention; it's just going to take longer that way. I think McEichel shaves a year off the rebuild, but not getting one does not even come close to dooming us.

I agree with this, but if we're drafting 3rd/4th, choosing one of Marner/Strome/Hanifin as the last major piece of the puzzle is going to be agonizing.  You want the best forwards but Hanifin seems much closer to being a "lock" than Marner/Strome.  I hope it doesn't come to that.

We'd also need to hit a home run with one of our other picks this year.  I don't think adding Hanifin/Marner/Strome to what we currently have in the pipeline is enough.

:lol:

Here's the other thing - you can be angry at the Sabres and Pegula - I would't agree with your anger, but go for it - but being angry with GMTM for our current state makes absolutely no sense. He's barely been the GM for more than a year. He inherited this situation. He didn't trade Vanek. He didn't trade Pominville. He traded Miller and Ott but they were both going to leave anyway - at least Miller was. The Sabres were already the worst team in the league when he got here. He really didn't have a choice other than to finish the rebuild and then build the team back up.

Like I said, he talked about how he could go ahead and just get a bunch of players in here and gun for 8th place. Lots of teams do that. Look at Florida. Look at TORONTO. But he's doing what is best for the long-term success of the franchise. I'm glad he does what he thinks is best and doesn't listen to the few who want to win now and not worry about the future. Luckily, most fans are on board with what he's doing.

I guarantee the same fans whining about GMTM now are going to be right on the Sabres bandwagon when they're carrying the Cup down Delaware Avenue. And they'll STILL probably be complaining.

Edited by MBHockey13

Here's the other thing - you can be angry at the Sabres and Pegula - I would't agree with your anger, but go for it - but being angry with GMTM for our current state makes absolutely no sense. He's barely been the GM for more than a year. He inherited this situation. He didn't trade Vanek. He didn't trade Pominville. He traded Miller and Ott but they were both going to leave anyway - at least Miller was. The Sabres were already the worst team in the league when he got here. He really didn't have a choice other than to finish the rebuild and then build the team back up.

Like I said, he talked about how he could go ahead and just get a bunch of players in here and gun for 8th place. Lots of teams do that. Look at Florida. Look at TORONTO. But he's doing what is best for the long-term success of the franchise. I'm glad he does what he thinks is best and doesn't listen to the few who want to win now and not worry about the future. Luckily, most fans are on board with what he's doing.

I guarantee the same fans whining about GMTM now are going to be right on the Sabres bandwagon when they're carrying the Cup down Delaware Avenue. And they'll STILL probably be complaining.

You need an editor. Your posts are great, but there's always one line that kills them, usually at the end. Heartbreaking.

:lol:

I can't tell if that's your smiley face or your vomit face.

We're here now. We're not bandwagon fans. The real bandwagon fans are the ones not watching until the Sabres are good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.