Murray has eye on top pick — in 2016

PASabreFan

Agreed. He philosophically disagrees with the new lottery rules, admits that he voted against them, but recognizes that under a specific set of circumstances, his team can benefit greatly from them.

Nowhere does he state that the goal is to finish 9th in the conference. Nowhere does he say the goal is to pick in the top three next season. He merely points out where his team can benefit from a set of rule he fundamentally disagrees with.

If the Sabres are fighting for the 8th playoff spot next February, there is no reason to believe that Murray will tank the effort for the opportunity to win the lottery for a top 3 pick.

Amen. Murray will be happy if we make the playoffs next year, but there's no guarantee we do. I'm sure we'll show improvement, but you don't go from DFL two years in a row to a great team, despite what the Islanders did. I'm sure he'll get us some more pieces in the offseason, but I don't expect him to go nuts to get us to squeak into 8th place when that's not the long-term goal.

Murray is saying it's basically a win-win - if we make the playoffs, great, and if we don't, then we have a chance for the 1, 2, or 3 pick.

Murray can't talk enough for me. I always enjoy what I hear. If you don't like it, then stop reading about it. Maybe cheer on the Lightning or something.

Seriously, isn't anyone else down for two more Kane style trades, maybe a Snow-like poaching of a team with cap troubles, a good free agent signing, a decent goaltender and let's go win some hockey games?!

This is what I'm down for. It's what I expect.

I disagree with your reading of the quote, but if the next six months prove you right, pitchforks and torches baby! 

Murray talks to much. I think after the honeymoon phase is over here that act will get old.

I love Murray and could listen to him to talk for hours.

But as I posted in another thread, all this tank talk has built him a bulletproof vest.

Tank's over. It's time put the Buffalo stampede to Stanley in motion.

Seriously, isn't anyone else down for two more Kane style trades, maybe a Snow-like poaching of a team with cap troubles, a good free agent signing, a decent goaltender and let's go win some hockey games?!

Sure, sign me up. But given the historical frequency with which those types of trades occur should we realistically expect that GMTM can pull off a couple more blockbusters in time to deliver the Sabres to the 2016 playoffs?  Starting 4/11/15 should GMTM be doing everything in his power to get the Sabres back to the playoffs ASAP?  Absolutely.  Is it going to happen next year? Pipe dream.

I'm starting to think that Murray is in over his head.

The optics of this quote are terrible, even if he misspoke, which I'm not buying.

I'm with you PA.  Murray wants improvement, but not much.  He wants and expects to be a lottery team.

Well, I want to the Sabres to be a contender each and every year and to win at least one cup in my lifetime.  Not sure how much time I have left.

This stinks.

Taro, you probably don't want to mothball the CHL thread at the end of this season.

Sure, sign me up. But given the historical frequency with which those types of trades occur should we realistically expect that GMTM can pull off a couple more blockbusters in time to deliver the Sabres to the 2016 playoffs? Starting 4/11/15 should GMTM be doing everything in his power to get the Sabres back to the playoffs ASAP? Absolutely. Is it going to happen next year? Pipe dream.

Chances of being 40-50 pts better next year are not very good.

This team doesn't even have a center with any significant experience as of today.

As for next year,

Better is likely.

Playoffs not very likely. Heck even Kane has only had one 30 goal season. Ennis has had 2 20 goal seasons (probably a third this year) Hodgson 1. Where are the goals going to come from?

Early forecast for next year:

We will be somewhere between suck and it is starting to look like these kids don't suck.

Good news though, the NHL is making Buffalo's chances in the lottery pretty good next year, and we don't even have to try to suck.

Edited by X. Benedict

Well, I want to the Sabres to be a contender each and every year and to win at least one cup in my lifetime. Not sure how much time I have left.

So do I. Up to this point in my 43 years I'd say the sabres have been semi-legit to legit cup contenders maybe 10 times at most? That's not a good rate and I want it to change. I strongly feel that the course GMTM has us on gives us the best chance to increase our yearly contender status....eventually.

Murray talks to much. I think after the honeymoon phase is over here that act will get old. Right now he is enjoying the attention he is getting. I will start paying more attention to what he has to say when he has done more than sell off some UFA'S and be asked to captain the worse team hockey.

Why can't we be next years Calgary or NYI? Why come out and say what he did? I am sick of this loser mentality. If he realistically thinks we are not a playoff team next year THEN DO MORE!! Earn your damn paycheck. Any blind squirrel can sit back and wait for years worth of high draft picks to accumulate.

Expect more from yourself, your coaches, your scouts, and your players. This BS of accepting to not compete for a playoff spot is old. Take TP's nipple out of your mouth and start doing your job. This act is old. What exactly is he saying that DR didn't???? Yet we accept it because Murray GZF's. Give me a break. Put a damn hockey team on the ice and shut the hell up.

Here, here!

Maybe he's just managing expectations.

Lovely.  Another Regier.  #Suffering

Nowhere does he state that the goal is to finish 9th in the conference. Nowhere does he say the goal is to pick in the top three next season. He merely points out where his team can benefit from a set of rule he fundamentally disagrees with.

If he didn't misspeak, then he most certainly did say that he prefers to finish outside of the playoffs.  Unacceptable to spend another season without making the playoffs as the goal.

but I hope we’re on the way up while still having a chance to win the lottery

I am truly (truly) shakin' mah damn head at people being up in arms over the GM forecasting that the team won't be ready for prime time next year.

God almighty. It's a road we're on, folks. And we ain't close to being there yet. The scenery along the way, the quality of the ride are likely to improve next year, perhaps markedly. But we're not going to arrive at our destination. Maybe we could push the thing to get there before we should, but we'd almost certainly end up throwing oil and getting a tow back in the direction we came.

I'm good with the course that's been charted. 

I am truly (truly) shakin' mah damn head at people being up in arms over the GM forecasting that the team won't be ready for prime time next year.

God almighty. It's a road we're on, folks. And we ain't close to being there yet. The scenery along the way, the quality of the ride are likely to improve next year, perhaps markedly. But we're not going to arrive at our destination. Maybe we could push the thing to get there before we should, but we'd almost certainly end up throwing oil and getting a tow back in the direction we came.

Nobody expects us to hit our vacation spot next year, but holy can we at least leave the driveway? 

I don't want a GM with another lottery shot expectation.  

I don't want a GM with another lottery shot expectation.

And I don't want one with his head in the clouds unable to acknowledge reality. To expect to make the playoffs he'd have to expect a 40 point improvement. That's insane.

This is a GM who has traded for players like Kane and Bogosian. And has traded draft picks for older prospects.

But words speak louder than actions here?

Apparently.

Nobody expects us to hit our vacation spot next year, but holy ###### can we at least leave the ###### driveway?

Of course, of course.

If you think GM TM is still idling in the driveway, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

For example, a 22nd place finish next year would likely signal progress, but still qualify the team for the lottery.

Patience, water bugs. Patience.

Day two? OK. I was hoping, this being a major holiday and all, that we'd be like the British and the Germans during the Great War meeting in no man's land and kicking a soccer ball around and singing "We're gonna win that Cup (in 2024)." Thought chz, bio or Jo might even show up with porterhouses.

But if you'd rather have it this way...

This is a GM who has traded for players like Kane and Bogosian. And has traded draft picks for older prospects.

But words speak louder than actions here?

What are you driving at? That Murray's actions signal that he's trying to accelerate the rebuild, maybe even thinking about the Sabres competing for a playoff spot next season, but he wants to keep expectations low, for the benefit of the players, the fans, other GMs who are sizing him up?

And I don't want one with his head in the clouds unable to acknowledge reality. To expect to make the playoffs he'd have to expect a 40 point improvement. That's insane.

I might be hung up on two words here, but my problem isn't that Tim expressed a cold analysis of where he thinks the team will be. It's that he thinks of the new lottery rules "selfishly" while he "hope"s that the Sabres are in the running for it. That tells me, even before he knows if he's getting McDavid or Hanifin, before he knows what free agents might be willing to come, before he knows what trades are available, that his mind is set on what he wants out of next season. That smacks of something he said he didn't want to be, that rebuilding GM who milks a situation for job security. It smacks of the use of losing as a means to an end, and that was supposed to end this season.

Of course, of course.

If you think GM TM is still idling in the driveway, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

For example, a 22nd place finish next year would likely signal progress, but still qualify the team for the lottery.

Patience, water bugs. Patience.

I think if anything he's been waiting in the driveway for his kids to get ready and come outside. 

"GMTM sucks...he's over his head...he wants lottery picks every year...we'll never get better...another GM would have us competing for the President's Trophy next year...I did very poorly on the reading comprehension section of my SAT's...wah wah wah"

Seeing as there was an Official 2015 Draft thread before the 2014 draft even happened, maybe we should start an Official 2016 Draft thread for you guys. It is in Buffalo after all. You should all be fired up for that one as it seems you all care more about draft position than playoff position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.