Casey Bailey, Matt O'connor. Any other college free agents?

tom webster

You're both right. His value might be hurt a little bit, but I don't think the teams interested in him are going to completely ignore his availability. Everybody that planned on calling him will probably still do so. He'll still have quite a few bidd 

cmon.. norwood had talent but lost trust... who would trust that goalie until he proved he was over his issues.. he was shaky on every save... like that lions kicker (he was talented enough to get one of 32 jobs but f'd it up)....  if he was a forward or defenseman.. yr right... but only a team that knows him and his family will touch him now..

I don't think so

maybe i'm wrong but that was astonishing... and its clearly a pattern..  i'll be curious to see what happens...for the kids sake i hope you are right but its like he blackballed himself...

Edited by K8prisoner

cmon.. norwood had talent but lost trust... who would trust that goalie until he proved he was over his issues.. he was shaky on every save... like that lions kicker (he was talented enough to get one of 32 jobs but f'd it up).... if he was a forward or defenseman.. yr right... but only a team that knows him and his family will touch him now..

He needs significant time in the AHL. I don't want to write him off, but I also don't want anyone to think he is an immediate savior.

He needs significant time in the AHL. I don't want to write him off, but I also don't want anyone to think he is an immediate savior.

i'll be curious... i have never seen anyone nuke their future like that.. and he dropped three bombs on himself in consequetive games... its an unusual case...

i'll be curious... i have never seen anyone nuke their future like that.. and he dropped three bombs on himself in consequetive games... its an unusual case...

He will get a nice deal because that's the way it works, but yeah, he certainly created a massive cloud that will hover over his head for a long time. Even that GWG hit him in the shoulder.

I can't pretend to know, but I'll guess that if you went back through all of his game film you'll find some more flaky moments. There's a reason he went undrafted in the first place. Undrafted forwards/defensemen usually have size/speed issues. Goalies either aren't stopping the puck or are having weird moments that give people significant pause.

Goalies are such a strange position. I will never understand the scouting involved with them. To the day, the best college goalie I ever saw was a guy who couldn't city it at even the ECHL level. They're an odd breed that I have long since given up trying to understand.

He will get a nice deal because that's the way it works, but yeah, he certainly created a massive cloud that will hover over his head for a long time. Even that GWG hit him in the shoulder.

you guys know more than me but that lions kicker is selling insurance now,  and is way more talented than that shaky goalie... let me know if he does,,, im not being a jerk, just believe he set any chance of playing at a higher level back significantly...  and now i am curious what team would trust him...  the kicker, goalie analogy is not that great but i think he is a special case.. peace .. goodnight

I can't pretend to know, but I'll guess that if you went back through all of his game film you'll find some more flaky moments. There's a reason he went undrafted in the first place. Undrafted forwards/defensemen usually have size/speed issues. Goalies either aren't stopping the puck or are having weird moments that give people significant pause.

i agree with this.. it will be interesting... i am curious now

Goalies are such a strange position. I will never understand the scouting involved with them. To the day, the best college goalie I ever saw was a guy who couldn't city it at even the ECHL level. They're an odd breed that I have long since given up trying to understand.

Hammond (the Hammburglar) was horrible in the AHL this year, and then comes up and saves the Senators season. Dubnyk was done as an NHL'er at the end of last year, and he comes in and single-handedly puts the Wild in the playoffs. Lindback is the worst goalie in the NHL, then comes here and almost blows the Tank. Who knows.

I love this post. I wonder if there will eventually be some advanced stat for college goalies that explains "weird moments."

Hammond (the Hammburglar) was horrible in the AHL this year, and then comes up and saves the Senators season. Dubnyk was done as an NHL'er at the end of last year, and he comes in and single-handedly puts the Wild in the playoffs. Lindback is the worst goalie in the NHL, then comes here and almost blows the Tank. Who knows.

you are right on with that... hasek is another great example.. didnt he almost quit...

what got me worked up was just how much BU and Eichel panicked and tried to do it alone after that nightmare... truly amazing..

i bet they were all drafted though.. they had real promise or technique etc

Can we stop with the football analogies ? Surely the N.H.L. or some lesser HOCKEY league has some comparable situations that can be used. 

oh forgive me,  but seriously sshirley,  i could only think of kickers who f'd up their lives so convincingly that they had to sell insurance because of 'nerves'

Right on.

On Nebulon 7  in the Andromeda galaxy where goalies are first created in petri dishes before being forwarded on to their earthly  "uterine" mothers they have a saying,which pretty much translates "They are an odd breed that we've given up understanding" 

Edited by X. Benedict

I don't know what else to call it. There seem to be guys that have an inordinate number of bizarre soft goals or incredible brain cramps with stretches (sometimes long stretches) of great play in between.  Miller had a bit of this in him, not to the degree that O'Conner displayed tonight but frequently enough that we started talking about Ryan Miller shutouts when he'd give up a badish 3rd period goal to blow the SO. It just plants that seed of doubt in your mind that's hard to shake once it's there.

first period ryan miller... you might be onto the new corsi

first period ryan miller... you might be onto the new corsi, the ckoke/insanity quotient

im an idiot posting like oconnor and quoted myself ...  ryan did do it in the third as you said, as well.. i was lazy and didnt finish reading the entire post, although if miller was weird that way.. oconnor is weird without the upside..

surely you can't be serious ? ;)

well, exxxxcuuuuuuse meeeeee... it feels like a spy vs spy episode but im game and i did try to be imaginitive without football metaphors or spellcheck and look where we are..

Edited by K8prisoner

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.