Buffalo Ranked #3 in No-Trade Clause Cities

RonHextallsShoulderPads

I don't doubt it now, and with Buffalo's reputation around the US. Hopefully when the Sabres are "good" (or great) that'll outweight the negatives and folks will see that Buffalo really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Especially for these guys, I doubt they're shoveling their own snow before work which is really the major down-side.

I don't doubt it now, and with Buffalo's reputation around the US. Hopefully when the Sabres are "good" (or great) that'll outweight the negatives and folks will see that Buffalo really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Especially for these guys, I doubt they're shoveling their own snow before work which is really the major down-side.

How many live in Buffalo anyway? When you have that much money, you're going to live in a really nice house in a really nice suburb and your kids are going to go to good schools, no matter what city you're attached to.

How many live in Buffalo anyway? When you have that much money, you're going to live in a really nice house in a really nice suburb and your kids are going to go to good schools, no matter what city you're attached to.

Case in point, I know a bunch of the Flyers (Danny and Biron in the past) lived in CAMDEN NJ, since the practice facility is over on that side of the river. There's no way you can make an argument that Camden is more attractive* than Buffalo.

* Well, I will say that the Camden waterfront is turning around in a gentrification move, I assume it's a lot cheaper than downtown Philly and only a 3/4 mile ride across the Ben Franklin Bridge.

You get that with any city.  Buffalo has a lot less to offer than most NHL cities.  Also that drive from the airport to the rink is negative advertising.... brutal stretch. 

Case in point, I know a bunch of the Flyers (Danny and Biron in the past) lived in CAMDEN NJ, since the practice facility is over on that side of the river. There's no way you can make an argument that Camden is more attractive* than Buffalo.

* Well, I will say that the Camden waterfront is turning around in a gentrification move, I assume it's a lot cheaper than downtown Philly and only a 3/4 mile ride across the Ben Franklin Bridge.

No but being close to a major US and fairly close to NYC is a big sell. 

Well, this is really here nor there.  You're essentially positing that there is no difference between any city and any other city.

I was shocked to see Toronto on that list. I know Toronto sucks but there was an earlier discussion about Babcock coming to Toronto vs Buffalo, and at that time, I thought Toronto would be much more favorable. One thing mentioned regarding Babcock and Toronto is that it is "home" for him, but it sounds like it's really not the hockey paradise that the NHL makes it out to be. I would have thought the top 5 best destinations would have been Montreal, Detroit, Chicago, New York (Rangers) and Toronto. Interesting. Some one did a marvelous job marketing me on Toronto being a good hockey destination. My original hunch that they truly suck was apparently spot-on.

They had to live in the Victor Building and yes it has nice views of Philadelphia at a fraction of Center City prices.  However, getting in and out of there is....interesting. Particularly late at night when these guys travel sometimes. I wouldn't want my wife and kids rolling through there by themselves in my hockey player SUV on the way out to the suburbs to go grocery shopping or to Pre-K or really to much of anything.

I worked in the neighborhoods of Camden for 4 years. I wouldn't live in the Victor if it were free, not even if they paid me.

I think Camden would be in my top 5 no-go list.

I think in 5 years Buffalo will be nowhere to be seen on this list.  Two reasons:

1. The Sabres will be a top-contending team.

2. The Buffalo renaissance.

(You may scoff at #2, but as a Buffalo ex-pat I pay close attention to national coverage of the city and it's totally changed over the last year or two from "Ha ha Buffalo!" to "Oooh look - Buffalo.  How cool!"  And when I've traveled there recently it's actually kind of a night-and-day shock with how much better the city is than what it was, say, 10 years ago.) 

I think in 5 years Buffalo will be nowhere to be seen on this list.  Two reasons:

(You may scoff at #2, but as a Buffalo ex-pat I pay close attention to national coverage of the city and it's totally changed over the last year or two from "Ha ha Buffalo!" to "Oooh look - Buffalo.  How cool!"  And when I've traveled there recently it's actually kind of a night-and-day shock with how much better the city is than what it was, say, 10 years ago.)

Hopefully the Sabres will become a top contending team.  I am not convinced because we cannot see into the future.  There is still a crap load of variables that will go into making this team a contender. 

I have to admit that downtown is changing a quite a bit.  That will definitely help change the attitude of the players, especially once Pegula builds the Bills stadium downtown.

OP makes most egregious error in confusing "cities" with "teams."  

No trade clauses are not for city's.  Our city is desirable. 

Owner does us great slight to mire our city's name through mud.  It has been stupid not to call them Pegula Sabres.

Look at the recent track record under the new owner, for why outsiders are not "buying (unlucky to get drafted) in" to the story you are hearing locally.

This is graph.

\

\

\

\

\

\

\/

I have said what I want to say, sheep.

Edited by Anna Akhmatova

Hopefully the Sabres will become a top contending team.  I am not convinced because we cannot see into the future.  There is still a crap load of variables that will go into making this team a contender. 

I have to admit that downtown is changing a quite a bit.  That will definitely help change the attitude of the players, especially once Pegula builds the Bills stadium downtown.

Welcome, and props for the avatar. :thumbsup:

#2 is exactly why I am leaving DC, and moving back. #1 is well Buffalo is home.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.