Tyler Myers

papazoid

He got suspended for 3 games in 2012 as well for a hit on Gomez. He definitely has had his share of injuries but he hasn't exactly been Tim Connolly either.

Right you are, Connolly actually produced when healthy.

I have said it before and I will say it again, even with the injuries, Myers is an excellent 2nd pairing defenseman and his contract will slit him there in years to come.

So, if you get offered top line talent, you move him. If you get offered borderline top 6 forward top 4 dman, you pass.

There is no urgency. No cap concerns. No reason to take anything less at this time.

What is his cap number? $6 million? Is that what you want to pay your #3/4 defender?

The Sabres don't have cap concerns and the actual cash outlay is reasonable given Pegula/Darcy handing him $12 million before the ink dried....but I just think everyone looks past everything on this guy because he is a giraffe.

I would want more for Zadorov at this point.

5.5mil is his cap hit

Thank you.

I'd still move this guy as quick as possible. He has some sort of HarryPotter/Hobbit fascination from people that adds a premium. Take advantage of it while you still can. I see him interviewed....he will never be a leader. He is a nice kid, but just tries to spit back what he is being told in order to keep it all together. He played at a 60 his rookie year....people were hoping and projecting he would end up at a 90....the next 3 years he was in the 20-40 range, and the past year has climbed back to the 45-55 range.....never getting back to his original performance while blowing 5 years of development.

People overvalue him because of his original hope and his "courageous" climb back from the levels he was playing at to servicable top 4 defender. On a traditional Cup team, he is just a part and probably your 8th to 13th best player....

Thank you.

I'd still move this guy as quick as possible. He has some sort of HarryPotter/Hobbit fascination from people that adds a premium. Take advantage of it while you still can. I see him interviewed....he will never be a leader. He is a nice kid, but just tries to spit back what he is being told in order to keep it all together. He played at a 60 his rookie year....people were hoping and projecting he would end up at a 90....the next 3 years he was in the 20-40 range, and the past year has climbed back to the 45-55 range.....never getting back to his original performance while blowing 5 years of development.

People overvalue him because of his original hope and his "courageous" climb back from the levels he was playing at to servicable top 4 defender. On a traditional Cup team, he is just a part and probably your 8th to 13th best player....

I mildly disagree. Myers has tended to play about as well as his cast.

Imagine Myers on the top pairing with Keith on the Hawks instead of Seabrook - he would put up numbers, and probably play better with less responsibility on his shoulders.

I mildly disagree. Myers has tended to play about as well as his cast.

Imagine Myers on the top pairing with Keith on the Hawks instead of Seabrook - he would put up numbers, and probably play better with less responsibility on his shoulders.

Top Numbers?

He plays almost 30 minutes a game here including the power play and has as many points as Karlsson did by game 9.......you know...on that awesome Ottawa Senators team.......

Top Numbers?

He plays almost 30 minutes a game here including the power play and has as many points as Karlsson did by game 9.......you know...on that awesome Ottawa Senators team.......

Maybe he'd have better numbers shooting at a soccer net.

What is his cap number? $6 million? Is that what you want to pay your #3/4 defender?

The Sabres don't have cap concerns and the actual cash outlay is reasonable given Pegula/Darcy handing him $12 million before the ink dried....but I just think everyone looks past everything on this guy because he is a giraffe.

I would want more for Zadorov at this point.

With top-pairing Dmen getting $7MM+ in the new CBA, paying $5MM+ for the second pair is probably going to be the norm, especially if he's high-end in that slot (which I think Myers fits--if he's your #1 you are probably a bad team, but if he's your #3 I think you're in pretty great shape). I will grant that he was given that contract with the expectation he'd become a legit #1 and it would be a bargain, but with cap inflation and the term limits on deals, it ends up being reasonable anyway.

I'm still open to trading him in the right deal, but it's not because the contract is unreasonable.

Top Numbers?

Karlsson has more Points on the power play then Buffalo has power play goals! Maybe that comparison doesn't work so well

With top-pairing Dmen getting $7MM+ in the new CBA, paying $5MM+ for the second pair is probably going to be the norm, especially if he's high-end in that slot (which I think Myers fits--if he's your #1 you are probably a bad team, but if he's your #3 I think you're in pretty great shape). I will grant that he was given that contract with the expectation he'd become a legit #1 and it would be a bargain, but with cap inflation and the term limits on deals, it ends up being reasonable anyway.

I'm still open to trading him in the right deal, but it's not because the contract is unreasonable.

I didn't say the contract is unreasonable....people are saying he has a "great contract" and would put up "top numbers" if paired on a top line of a better team. I'm saying people are Chasing the 2009 Tyler Myers Dragon......

I didn't say the contract is unreasonable....people are saying he has a "great contract" and would put up "top numbers" if paired on a top line of a better team. I'm saying people are Chasing the 2009 Tyler Myers Dragon......

People like Ken Holland?

I wonder if Myers size is a negative in terms of fan perception. Stay with me here: fans want him to be some sort of Chara who can actually skate. Would we be as upset if he was exactly the same player but 6'2" and 210 lbs? A puck-moving D that can skate, shows *some* grit here and there and is prone to make mistakes once in awhile. That sounds like a prototype 3/4 D and his contract will be average in a year or two for that role.

I wonder if Myers size is a negative in terms of fan perception. Stay with me here: fans want him to be some sort of Chara who can actually skate. Would we be as upset if he was exactly the same player but 6'2" and 210 lbs? A puck-moving D that can skate, shows *some* grit here and there and is prone to make mistakes once in awhile. That sounds like a prototype 3/4 D and his contract will be average in a year or two for that role.

I think you're spot-on, and I think you can generalize this to most good-but-not-great players. I think we as fans tend to evaluate players in terms of what we want them to be rather than what they are, which can lead us to emphasize weaknesses and overlook strengths.

Top Numbers?

I never said "top numbers," but he would certainly put up good if not great numbers if he was on Chi, paired with Keith, and on their PP instead of Seabrook.

Not sure why you randomly drew the comparison with Karlsson. You might as well have picked Lindstrom, for effect.

Not sure why you randomly drew the comparison with Karlsson. You might as well have picked Lindstrom, for effect.

To answer your question.......in the voice of James Lipton on a certain Bravo show........."You know his genius......most recently from a series of advertisements as a Nordic neanderthal....for Capital...One.............but before that......he thrilled us..as......."Doctor.......Death!!"......the loveable linebacker in an underrated HBO production known as....1st and 10........ But make no mistake.....by far....his brilliance was allowed to radiate as brightly as the rays of the sun...in his portrayal of a cinematic masterpiece of a character..........Ogre..........in Revenge of the Nerds...........where his simplistic view of the world was indeed no doubt molded by his own self conciousness..............and in one of his most memorable scenes........as he ravishes the whipped cream out of a foil pie tin......... in hasty fashion.........only to reveal the bare bossoms of his friend's....main squeeze.........and utters to his friend in workmanline.....direct...tone......

"HERE'S WHY"

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21084-tyler-myers-vs-erik-karlsson/page__hl__%2Bmyers+%2Bkarlsson

PS.....look at the results and then understand only 130 regular season games have passed since it was taken........................

PS.....look at the results and then understand only 130 regular season games have passed since it was taken........................

only 130 regular season games ago? That's a lot of rotations of the hamster wheel and three hamsters ago. :P

For context, over 50% of players that make it to the NHL never play 100 games.

I think you're spot-on, and I think you can generalize this to most good-but-not-great players. I think we as fans tend to evaluate players in terms of what we want them to be rather than what they are, which can lead us to emphasize weaknesses and overlook strengths.

This is so true. The fan lens warps our sense of reality. We can look at players on other teams somewhat dispassionately - unless someone on another team is a real standout or slug, my default impression of most players is "a decent player who makes mistakes sometimes." If it's one of our own, we want them to be great players and when they do make mistakes it rips our heart out. If you're a passionate fan, it's hard to see it any other way.

This is so true. The fan lens warps our sense of reality. We can look at players on other teams somewhat dispassionately - unless someone on another team is a real standout or slug, my default impression of most players is "a decent player who makes mistakes sometimes." If it's one of our own, we want them to be great players and when they do make mistakes it rips our heart out. If you're a passionate fan, it's hard to see it any other way.

It is true. But also works the other way. We see an Eric Karlsson put up huge numbers and until you've seen him 7 or 8 times, you think it is an aberration.

only 130 regular season games ago? That's a lot of rotations of the hamster wheel and three hamsters ago. :P

For context, over 50% of players that make it to the NHL never play 100 games.

I got called out for comparing him to Karlsson. 1 1/2 seasons of games ago, the majority of this board wanted Myers over Karlsson. I think it was a fair point.

I love reading through that thread. People are still trying to use the same reasoning in overvaluing Myers.....meanwhile Karlsson looks like a 90% HOF'r

I got called out for comparing him to Karlsson. 1 1/2 seasons of games ago, the majority of this board wanted Myers over Karlsson. I think it was a fair point.

I love reading through that thread. People are still trying to use the same reasoning in overvaluing Myers.....meanwhile Karlsson looks like a 90% HOF'r

Who are you talking about?

I reread the thread and thought nearly everyone agreed with you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.