Insight Into Pegulas' One Buffalo Philosophy

K-9

I just hate the design of the onebuffalo.com website.

It is supposed to be a collection of twitter feeds and some youtube videos, but the way it is laid out is awful. When you load it up, it is just hard to follow/look at.

I guess its not a big deal, but It would be better if they simply loaded the most recent items at the top and wen down from there, or purely left to right. The way its set up..just a mess.

Edited by mjd1001

I just hate the design of the onebuffalo.com website.

It is supposed to be a collection of twitter feeds and some youtube videos, but the way it is laid out is awful. When you load it up, it is just hard to follow/look at.

I guess its not a big deal, but It would be better if they simply loaded the most recent items at the top and wen down from there, or purely left to right. The way its set up..just a mess.

That's what you took away from the article?

Very good read. It doesn't make me feel any better about the Sabres, and there's a bit of fodder for the Trial Thread, but it's certainly interesting, the Kim/Terry angle.

I thought for sure you'd run out and get a Pegula #1 jersey. Guess I was wrong.

My focus at this stage of my life is on the Sabres and a Cup, the same focus Terry seemed to have at the beginning. If he wanted to make money... we're not in the real estate business, maybe just to get an assist on someone else's goal, etc. Harbor Center and the Bills and Kim and OneBuffalo are nice stories, they just don't move my needle. I feel like I'm over here in the corner waving, "Hello!!! Helllllloooooo!!!! I'm Stanley, your in-bred crackerjack nephew. Remember me????? Hellloooooooooooo... ok, I'll stop.

My focus at this stage of my life is on the Sabres and a Cup, the same focus Terry seemed to have at the beginning. If he wanted to make money... we're not in the real estate business, maybe just to get an assist on someone else's goal, etc. Harbor Center and the Bills and Kim and OneBuffalo are nice stories, they just don't move my needle. I feel like I'm over here in the corner waving, "Hello!!! Helllllloooooo!!!! I'm Stanley, your in-bred crackerjack nephew. Remember me????? Hellloooooooooooo... ok, I'll stop.

That's a funny description. Great stuff, PA. We all understand your frustration. I think TP wants that cup as much as us and once he committed to the total rebuild, I was convinced more than ever.

But some things transcend the cup, like an enduring commitment to the renaissance of a once great city.

GO SABRES!!!

That's what you took away from the article?

No, that is not all I took form the article, just there wasn't much to add from my point of view on the article.

Since the article DID bring up the topic of OneBuffalo, I thought it would be a great time to make the comment I did on the website.

The podcast associated with the story has the reporter talking about his extensive access to Kim (sorry Smell). The News must have loved that. The Pegulas' handlers must have known the end result would be as gushing as it was. Not that there was any Woodward and Bernstein material to be uncovered. The whole thing does have that wash mine-wash yours feel to it.

The podcast associated with the story has the reporter talking about his extensive access to Kim (sorry Smell). The News must have loved that. The Pegulas' handlers must have known the end result would be as gushing as it was. Not that there was any Woodward and Bernstein material to be uncovered. The whole thing does have that wash mine-wash yours feel to it.

It's funny. The first time I read the piece -- I thought it was linked from here -- it went to Buffalo Business First's re-publication of it, not to the site of the original publication (and when I clicked it just now, it went to the original publication).

Anyhoo. Buffalo Business First is, for the most part, a glorified clearinghouse for the press releases of the region's business interests. So, no surprise that they published a fairly glowing profile.

Moreover, the fact that a national guy wrote the piece seems to be further confirmation that the Pegulas are careful to deal with media other than local media.

Does that stem from Terry's experience in the sit-down with the Buffalo News editorial board? Hard to say.

One other thing comes to mind: Drew Magary recently deconstructed (to hilarious effect) the WSJ's knob-job-profiling of Roger Goodell (link below). I'm not trying to link Pegula's PR strategy to (one of) his commissioner's, but it does seem clear that the wealthy and powerful have learned that they can deal with the media on their own terms.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2014/12/wsj-to-help-roger-goodell-get-everything-wronger.html

The article has a mistake... or I am mistaken... but we only have 5 picks in the opening 2 rounds of the draft. we traded one of those 2nds back to LA in the Fasching/Deslauriers deal.

That was a really great article. It always makes me sad how much better than National articles are over what the local guys usually produce.

Don't most people with the argument you are making want Terry getting out of the way of the hockey folks and not meddling? Isn't building an entertainment complex and hotel exactly what should be wanted with that angle? I'll never understand the no win situation people put him in. Spending the only private money in that area in like 30 years to attract outsiders for the first time in ages. Buying the Bills for a premium.

Don't most people with the argument you are making want Terry getting out of the way of the hockey folks and not meddling? Isn't building an entertainment complex and hotel exactly what should be wanted with that angle? I'll never understand the no win situation people put him in. Spending the only private money in that area in like 30 years to attract outsiders for the first time in ages. Buying the Bills for a premium.

The article suggests those are Kim projects and that Terry is a "personnel guy" who sits with Murray and Brandon at games. So, no, it doesn't support the argument that the side stuff will distract him from "meddling." Again, I have no problem with Harbor Center. I just don't care, mainly because I don't live there and will probably never really enjoy it. And I don't buy the argument that it helps the Sabres win a Cup.

The article suggests those are Kim projects and that Terry is a "personnel guy" who sits with Murray and Brandon at games. So, no, it doesn't support the argument that the side stuff will distract him from "meddling." Again, I have no problem with Harbor Center. I just don't care, mainly because I don't live there and will probably never really enjoy it. And I don't buy the argument that it helps the Sabres win a Cup.

Too bad the record's closed on the trial -- Kim's statement may have come in.

The fact that Kim's the one driving the development, the experiential stuff, though, tends to take more force out of the gripe (which I never understood anyway) about how Terry "went back on his word" when he started in with this major side project.

Edited by That Aud Smell

One Buffalo to rule them all?

One side benefit of the Sabres eventually winning the cup will be the mental image of Terry Pegula curled up in a chair on the balcony of the penthouse suite at Harbor Center, vacantly staring out over his empire while caressing his Championship Ring and repeating "my precious" over and over.

One side benefit of the Sabres eventually winning the cup will be the mental image of Terry Pegula curled up in a chair on the balcony of the penthouse suite at Harbor Center, vacantly staring out over his empire while caressing his Championship Ring and repeating "my precious" over and over.

Doesn't he want to buy the HSBC tower? I would think the unblinking eye would go up there.

One Buffalo to rule them all?

Doesn't he want to buy the HSBC tower? I would think the unblinking eye would go up there.

I love you nerds. :wub:

^^^^ The Eye of Pegula atop the HSBC Tower - perfect!!!!!!

I can almost here T-Peg's booming, disembodied voice instructing Saruman.... err.... GMTM.....

"Build me a hockey team worthy of Buffalooooooooo!!!!!"

haha!!!!!

Edited by Jsixspd

That's a funny description. Great stuff, PA. We all understand your frustration. I think TP wants that cup as much as us and once he committed to the total rebuild, I was convinced more than ever.

But some things transcend the cup, like an enduring commitment to the renaissance of a once great city.

GO SABRES!!!

This.

Also: excellent article. Thanks for posting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.