Insight Into Pegulas' One Buffalo Philosophy

K-9

Why can't we have Harbor Center/buy the Bills AND Cup Pegula?

No reason. I'm not optimistic about it, to say the least. The either/or seemed to be suggested by the OP's "some things transcend the Cup" comment. It sure would be interesting to go back in time to Feb. 22, 2011 and ask everyone here if they would be happy with a basement dwelling team in four years — but, oh yeah, this guy buys the Bills and builds a donut shop (attached to some other stuff) downtown.

No reason. I'm not optimistic about it, to say the least. The either/or seemed to be suggested by the OP's "some things transcend the Cup" comment. It sure would be interesting to go back in time to Feb. 22, 2011 and ask everyone here if they would be happy with a basement dwelling team in four years — but, oh yeah, this guy buys the Bills and builds a donut shop (attached to some other stuff) downtown.

The either/or is not what I meant to suggest at all. What I meant was that even if he never ends up winning a cup or a superbowl, Pegula still will have done something for the city of Buffalo that far surpasses both. By light years.

Edited by K-9

Oh, OK. So of two Pegulas, you'd rather have the Harbor Center/buy the Bills/no Cup Terry than the physically distant/emotionally distant/Stanley Cup Terry (think Golisano-ish).

Would I rather the city of Buffalo both keep the Bills and have a revitalized downtown with thousands of new jobs (which may very well be the ultimate result of TP's efforts) than the Sabres win a Cup?

Yes.

Do you still think TP is going to have the Bills playing a game in Toronto every year?

Would I rather the city of Buffalo both keep the Bills and have a revitalized downtown with thousands of new jobs (which may very well be the ultimate result of TP's efforts) than the Sabres win a Cup?

Yes.

Do you still think TP is going to have the Bills playing a game in Toronto every year?

I never thought that.

And thousands of new jobs from the Harbor Center? Hasn't it been pretty well established that sports franchises don't generate nearly the economic impact that the franchises themselves and their supporters think they do?

I never thought that.

And thousands of new jobs from the Harbor Center? Hasn't it been pretty well established that sports franchises don't generate nearly the economic impact that the franchises themselves and their supporters think they do?

You're right a multi million dollar sport/entertainment and hotel complex isn't really generating jobs.

I never thought that.

Didn't you post multiple times that TP might keep the Toronto series going?

And who said anything about sports franchises generating jobs? I was referring to Harbor Center, the hotel, the restaurant, etc. -- and, more importantly, that these moves might trigger other private development, both downtown and elsewhere in WNY.

Hasn't it been pretty well established that sports franchises don't generate nearly the economic impact that the franchises themselves and their supporters think they do?
You're right a multi million dollar sport/entertainment and hotel complex isn't really generating jobs.
And who said anything about sports franchises generating jobs? I was referring to Harbor Center, the hotel, the restaurant, etc. -- and, more importantly, that these moves might trigger other private development, both downtown and elsewhere in WNY.

As my oldest was once fond of saying (before I adopted it (and sent him scurrying for new slang)): Shakin' mah head.

Some, but thousands?

Didn't you post multiple times that TP might keep the Toronto series going?

Stop moving the goal posts. I questioned whether the series would continue, so I guess implicit in the question was the idea that Terry might keep it going. My main point, IIRC, was that he'd want to end it but would have his business people arguing for it, and his decision would be telling. Not unlike his not wanting to raise ticket prices for the Sabres but ultimately doing so, in spades.

Some, but thousands?

Stop moving the goal posts. I questioned whether the series would continue, so I guess implicit in the question was the idea that Terry might keep it going. My main point, IIRC, was that he'd want to end it but would have his business people arguing for it, and his decision would be telling. Not unlike his not wanting to raise ticket prices for the Sabres but ultimately doing so, in spades.

I'm not sure about thousands, but HarborCenter is going to indirectly create jobs downtown. We can argue whether the development around the Naval park was already started or if HC was needed to really cement it, but I would think there are people that are scrambling to come up with legitimate new business plans for the blocks around HarborCenter. Swannie House will certainly need to hire a few extra staff. :)

One puzzling thing about the article is where Cliff Benson thinks the Bills stadium could go. Between Harbor Center and the ballpark. Is there room? Is Terry going to raze The News building?

The Indy Stadium sort of kind of fits, without having to raze much.

http://www.19ideas.com/stadium/

I suppose the Bills wouldn't need a fieldhouse or anything, since they could practice in the dome. I'm sure Benson will figure out the parking.

The Indy Stadium sort of kind of fits, without having to raze much.

http://www.19ideas.com/stadium/

I suppose the Bills wouldn't need a fieldhouse or anything, since they could practice in the dome. I'm sure Benson will figure out the parking.

That's a cool site. I put the stadium on Goat Island. It fits.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.