Ted Nolan "I learned last week I can't say what/how I feel."

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I'm prepared to start a website to compete with the Blue and Gold Club.

Instead of paying $100 a year to be on a season ticket waiting list.....I am willing to offer FREE BUFFALO SABRES STANLEY CUP TICKETS to every home game for $100 a year per seat if you sign up for a 5 year option and pay up front.

It will be properly insured through a AAA underwriter, which should cost me about 1.3%

I will have to limit it to 8,000 seats, since that is the average amount of Toronto fans in the building that were sold tickets by Sabres season ticket holders. I know my marks.....

Sorry, Ghost. I honestly have no idea WTF you are talking about here.

But good luck with it, whatever it is.

GO SABRES!!!

Probably worse than just having to watch them.

X.Benedict has solved the equation..........

At least Nolan gets paid for having to watch them.

Nicely played sir.....nicely played. I'd put in the hand clap video clip, but I can never seem to remember how.

Great turn of phrase.

While I was typing it I actually thought of a question Sully might ask :)

I still think Murray will wait until the coach matters before making a decision.

Then again, Nolan could walk.

If the season continues as is, some fans may actually make sure Nolan doesn't walk.........

If Murray wants to bring in "his guy," can anyone argue this mess of a season is a good time to do it? If the answer is no, then nolan should stay

No, and I agree, keep Nolan for the entire season. Hey, maybe he'll hit the right note on one of his motivational speech moments to the players just after Jan. and the record, while still last place, won't look so bad. Then again, maybe it's not butter...........

take dom off the nolan teams and you have last place teams, no coach of the year award, and no longing to right the wrong of nolanpasts. I said last season if nolan wants to be succesful he better bring in some good assistants that can coach and put some systems in place...

Take Dom off the Ruff team and Drury/Briere off the Ruff team and you have no Stanley Cup run in 99 and no ECF's in 05/06, 06/07.

You say tomato I say tomato.........................

Take Dom off the Ruff team and Drury/Briere off the Ruff team and you have no Stanley Cup run in 99 and no ECF's in 05/06, 06/07.

You say tomato I say tomato.........................

I will give you the no 99 scf. However, that team was not being outplayed game in and game out like the Nolan teams did. to even remotely compare Drury/Briere to Dom borders on negligence. Drury and Briere where replaceable players Dom was one of a kind.

I say tomato you say tomato i say no that was a apple

*edit to replace a word with less meanness to it*

Edited by drnkirishone

I will give you the no 99 scf. However, that team was not being outplayed game in and game out like the Nolan teams did. to even remotely compare Drury/Briere to Dom borders on stupidity. Drury and Briere where replaceable players Dom was one of a kind.

Why can't I replace them? Was the run toward the Cup not nearly equal in length? Was the outcome not the same? Based on Lindy having such an extended tenure here I believe it common sense that the 99 scenario led in to the bankruptcy and subsequent 2 years following the lock out whereby Ruff benefited greatly not from coaching style, but from talent. That should be more than obvious I would have thought.

Why can't I replace them? Was the run toward the Cup not nearly equal in length? Was the outcome not the same? Based on Lindy having such an extended tenure here I believe it common sense that the 99 scenario led in to the bankruptcy and subsequent 2 years following the lock out whereby Ruff benefited greatly not from coaching style, but from talent. That should be more than obvious I would have thought.

because take away the greatest goalie ever and nolan coaches his teams to top 3 draft picks what was the worst lindy drafted without the greatest goalie ever? 5?

Some coaches are great teachers, some coaches are great strategists, some coaches are great improvisers, some coaches create disciplined systems, some coaches are great motivators.

Motivation gets us 2 points and 8 goals in 6 games. I'm open to someone good at the other 4.

Lindy was only good at the 4th one from what I remember....

Sorry, Ghost. I honestly have no idea WTF you are talking about here.

But good luck with it, whatever it is.

GO SABRES!!!

No problem. I'm pretty much saying there is no chance in hell this team sniffs a Cup run in the next 5 years.

The culture rotted this franchise to a point I didn't think possible.

Ghost, what are your thoughts on TM? is he strong enough to overcome the culture, or is he in over his head?

I am not sure there is anyone to overcome this culture. To watch Nolan after only 3 games make those comments on the team....then the past 2 games.....something is seriously rotten.

I like Murray. I don't think it is as simple as he will have a bunch of picks and bring "his" coach in. I also think that if ownership/management is a cluster-f....Murray doesn't have the personal patience to stay long. He knows for his professional well-being he has to smile and tapdance, but at a certain point, he probably would be willing to go back being an assistant in a good organization.

I'd be a little nervous about the Bills purchase as well. They are a shiny new toy for the family, and he just spent 8x the amount on it than he did the Sabres. It's easy for Pegula to say, "wake me up when we draft all those great, elite players and we are good again."

I am not sure there is anyone to overcome this culture. To watch Nolan after only 3 games make those comments on the team....then the past 2 games.....something is seriously rotten.

I like Murray. I don't think it is as simple as he will have a bunch of picks and bring "his" coach in. I also think that if ownership/management is a cluster-f....Murray doesn't have the personal patience to stay long. He knows for his professional well-being he has to smile and tapdance, but at a certain point, he probably would be willing to go back being an assistant in a good organization.

I'd be a little nervous about the Bills purchase as well. They are a shiny new toy for the family, and he just spent 8x the amount on it than he did the Sabres. It's easy for Pegula to say, "wake me up when we draft all those great, elite players and we are good again."

This would be for the best, though, right? For the sabres? Or is ownership pressure an important part of the trigger to go from build to win?

because take away the greatest goalie ever and nolan coaches his teams to top 3 draft picks what was the worst lindy drafted without the greatest goalie ever? 5?

I submit to you without Drury/Briere the same happens.

While I don't disagree with you Ghost, I will say we've seen this before, on a lesser scale. The mid 80's. And I agree with your assessment on the time line. I've been saying since last year prepare to eat 5 years of bad hockey.

The only saving grace is this, talent is there in the pipe line and with the youth in the line up now. How those players view the culture of Buffalo hockey is indeed the key. I'm wagering it improves, but I still don't like the fact TM himself was stating he didn't think a rebuild need take 5 years, 2 to 3 wasn't out of the realm of reason. That bothers me, he obviously didn't do his home work before accepting the job then spoke to something he can't give in the process. Is GM TM the right man for the job? I don't believe he is, in so far as the culture is concerned..............that will take more time.

Lindy was only good at the 4th one from what I remember....

You remember him as a stick swinging, head cracking sadist, if I remember......

But I really didn't have ruff in mind at all. I was actually wondering about Guy Boucher and how he'd handle this team.

Edited by X. Benedict

You remember him as a stick swinging, head cracking sadist, if I remember......

But I really didn't have ruff in mind at all. I was actually wondering about Guy Boucher and how he'd handle this team.

I'm just saying.....can you honestly say he was good at anywhere near 4 of 5? Nolan's had what?...60 games? You saw Lindy for 1,300 or so and nary a protest!

Lindy "thinks" he is a teacher.....that's the funny part.

Nolan is shot here.....nobody will handle anything i am afraid.

I submit to you without Drury/Briere the same happens.

While I don't disagree with you Ghost, I will say we've seen this before, on a lesser scale. The mid 80's. And I agree with your assessment on the time line. I've been saying since last year prepare to eat 5 years of bad hockey.

The only saving grace is this, talent is there in the pipe line and with the youth in the line up now. How those players view the culture of Buffalo hockey is indeed the key. I'm wagering it improves, but I still don't like the fact TM himself was stating he didn't think a rebuild need take 5 years, 2 to 3 wasn't out of the realm of reason. That bothers me, he obviously didn't do his home work before accepting the job then spoke to something he can't give in the process. Is GM TM the right man for the job? I don't believe he is, in so far as the culture is concerned..............that will take more time.

I agreed with Murray. I think in a solid ownership/management environment, he could expect to be solid sooner than later. There was such a stench of rotten garbage here however.

I still think they all have to go. Weber, Ennis and Enroth have shown solid effort and wouldn't mind them on my team....but Myers, Hodgson, Stafford, Foligno......hell, that's 1/4 of your salary cap.....get them out. I would probably burn the first 3 down as well to cleanse the village.

This would be for the best, though, right? For the sabres? Or is ownership pressure an important part of the trigger to go from build to win?

As far as actual on-ice decisions.....sure. But as far as concern and overseeing management and throwing resources in......

Pegula, Battista, Benson, Black, Gibby, Snow

Murray

Coach

Players

I'm pretty sure Craig Patrick calls once a month or something to make sure the team still supplements his Medicare with Blue Cross Blue Shield........

I agreed with Murray. I think in a solid ownership/management environment, he could expect to be solid sooner than later. There was such a stench of rotten garbage here however.

I still think they all have to go. Weber, Ennis and Enroth have shown solid effort and wouldn't mind them on my team....but Myers, Hodgson, Stafford, Foligno......hell, that's 1/4 of your salary cap.....get them out. I would probably burn the first 3 down as well to cleanse the village.

I don't see how this is debatable. Especially now.

I was going to ask the question "will management do it?" Then it occurred to me the question is ridiculous: Pegula has upped the ante by purchasing the Bills. He owns both major sports teams in WNY. If one, or both, of these teams don't wind up competitive, dare I say don't wind up bringing home a championship, the guy's name...his entire family, will be f*&king mud forever from here to NYC, south beyond Pennsylvania, up into Toronto and beyond, and west who knows how far. More so for the football team, of course, but, it holds for the Sabres. I think Pegula is motivated to be Sports King of the East.

So, then, what signs are there that Murray is the savant hockey wizard who knows exactly what he's doing? Where his plans too good? The team sucks as bad as last season - I don't think it was supposed to look that way, but it was supposed to end up that way. And Teddy is all upset. He admitted the other day to having meetings after each game with Murray, and the last one he suggested he freaked out before talking to the media.

I'm thinking maybe Teddy feels as though a fast one was pulled on him - I could see him pulling a WTF Picard on Murray:

wtf_is_this_shit.jpg

What is Murray replying with?

A) "This is what you have to work with for now..."

B) "I know, crazy..."

C) "Sucks to be you..."

D) "I am the beginning, the end, the one who is many..."

I will give you the no 99 scf. However, that team was not being outplayed game in and game out like the Nolan teams did. to even remotely compare Drury/Briere to Dom borders on negligence. Drury and Briere where replaceable players Dom was one of a kind.

*edit to replace a word with less meanness to it*

Ruff made Briere.

60? This isn't Nolan's first go round. Tell me how Nolan's coaching has evolved in 20 years and I'll listen.

It wasn't about Nolan....it was about Lindy. I don't mind you saying that you'd rather have someone else than Nolan...but you listed 5 criterion and said you wanted someone good at 4 of the 5. My question is....which ones did Lindy excel at, and if not close to the max, why did there not seem to be much of a protest over the years that he was leading the ship?

I agree that Nolan's strength is motivation. It isn't happening. For him to throw verbal switchblades so early in the season....I am very concerned that this is going to be a disaster. I decided I would only chime in on this board for important reasons this year. The vibe I'm getting from Nolan should be pretty scary if you are a fan of this team. As much as I am willing to identify weakness in the Gods of fans over the years, the goal was to get a good team that we could respect in here. Pegula made the right move by cleaning house.....but Darcy is like nuclear waste. We are going to have to wait this out for years for the half-life to get to a point where we actually have a chance.

It wasn't about Nolan....it was about Lindy. I don't mind you saying that you'd rather have someone else than Nolan...but you listed 5 criterion and said you wanted someone good at 4 of the 5. My question is....which ones did Lindy excel at, and if not close to the max, why did there not seem to be much of a protest over the years that he was leading the ship?

I agree that Nolan's strength is motivation. It isn't happening. For him to throw verbal switchblades so early in the season....I am very concerned that this is going to be a disaster. I decided I would only chime in on this board for important reasons this year. The vibe I'm getting from Nolan should be pretty scary if you are a fan of this team. As much as I am willing to identify weakness in the Gods of fans over the years, the goal was to get a good team that we could respect in here. Pegula made the right move by cleaning house.....but Darcy is like nuclear waste. We are going to have to wait this out for years for the half-life to get to a point where we actually have a chance.

FWIW - I thought Lindy was a good coach all categories, by the end I was ready to see him go. But why are we talking about Lindy at all?

These aren't his players, and this isn't his team.

Many guys here are fond of remembering who throws who under the bus.

As for Nolan calling the team Pee Wee....and saying only 2 out of his 12 forwards are trying, that had legs well beyond Buffalo when it hit the national hockey media, and somehow Nolan has been wronged? By who?

It seems to me the most obvious thing to suspect is that Murray told Nolan that if he is upset, take a 5 minutes breather before you go out to meet the press gaggle so you don't say things everyone will regret. The press will wait for you.

Note. Yes, this may take longer than planned. I'm not optimistic about next year either.

Edited by X. Benedict

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.