Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I think zadorov should be in the nhl right now realistically.  In a perfect world he would be in the AHL, but that isn't an option.  NHL v. OHL for him, I think it would be a tough argument to make that him being in the ohl would be better for his development.  So I think he is exactly where he should be

He's playing top four minutes on a team that has Benoit, Strachan, Weber, and Meszaros.

A year in the A would have been perfect for him.

If you want to look at it from the perspective of who is beneath him on the depth chart you lose the fact that he's in the same company as Ristolainen, Myers and Georges. Those are top pair defenders.

If you want to look at it from the perspective of who is beneath him on the depth chart you lose the fact that he's in the same company as Ristolainen, Myers and Georges. Those are top pair defenders.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Virtually any defenseman would be in the same company as Ristolainen, Myers, and Gorges.

I like Zadorov and I think he's going to turn out to be a very, very solid player.  But I think he and Reinhart both would be better off in the A this year than where they are.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. Virtually any defenseman would be in the same company as Ristolainen, Myers, and Gorges.

I like Zadorov and I think he's going to turn out to be a very, very solid player. But I think he and Reinhart both would be better off in the A this year than where they are.

So why isn't Zadorov playing on the third pair?

d4rksabre I believe he can play and hold his own in the NHL same as you. But on a personal note, those years 18-19-20-21, were great for me. Made great friends and did stupid kid/adult stuff, he's missing that, and I feel sorry for him if he's not getting that experience. Not sure if this makes sense, but to much on someone so young, that should be having the best years of his life, that he will never get back. 

Edited by Woods-Racer

If Zadarov, Risto, Myers, and Gorges are your top 4 your probably one of the worst teams in history.......ummmm.

He doesn't belong in any teams top 4 and you know enough but hockey to know that. Man crush or not.

I think he has played just fine in a top four role this year.

I think Gorges, Myers and Ristolainen are also an NHL top three on any team.

Because he is better than Benoit, Strachan, Weber, and Meszaros, none of whom are legitimate NHL defensemen.  And it hurts me to say that about Weber.

You've come around!!! :)

Myers, probably. Gorges absolutely not (a contending team dumped him for a 2nd round pick), and Risto not yet. We must be watching different hockey.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I 100% agree those guys are NHL defense calibre, top-4 on many teams.. But it's foolhardy to say those three are better than all the other D in the league (Chara, S Weber, Ekblad, Karlsson, etc.).

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I 100% agree those guys are NHL defense calibre, top-4 on many teams.. But it's foolhardy to say those three are better than all the other D in the league (Chara, S Weber, Ekblad, Karlsson, etc.).

The argument is that Zadorov doesn't belong in the NHL. If the guys he's playing with can constitute a top defense on many teams then Zadorov is a top four d man on many teams by the same relation. I won't allege he's an elite NHL defender, but to say he belongs in the AHL is to wish for another tank next season.

The only reason I liked him is because he's mean--I never thought he was the second coming of Bobby Orr or anything.  And he is still mean.

The argument is that Zadorov doesn't belong in the NHL. If the guys he's playing with can constitute a top defense on many teams then Zadorov is a top four d man on many teams by the same relation. I won't allege he's an elite NHL defender, but to say he belongs in the AHL is to wish for another tank next season.

That's illogical.  If the Sabres were to put Benoit with Gorges, Myers, and Ristolainen, would that make Benoit a top four d man on many teams?

Cut it out before nfreeman comes in here and calls you obtuse!

Edited by Eleven

Myers, probably. Gorges absolutely not (a contending team dumped him for a 2nd round pick), and Risto not yet. We must be watching different hockey.

Georges is top four on most teams.

The whole defense gets a pass from me this season anyway since our forwards can't keep the puck on the other side of the blueline.

The only reason I liked him is because he's mean--I never thought he was the second coming of Bobby Orr or anything. And he is still mean.

That's illogical. If the Sabres were to put Benoit with Gorges, Myers, and Ristolainen, would that make Benoit a top four d man on many teams?

Cut it out before nfreeman comes in here and calls you obtuse!

Benoit isn't a top four defender on any team. So that takes care of that statement.

Zadorov is clearly ready. Armia will crack the line-up next year and, he has top 6 potental, not based on what I read, but by what I observed. Zadorov will be much better  next year, as will Ristolainen. They are top prospects. and yes i consider them prospects based on their age. I think your guys idea of how good these players are are skewed due to this historically bad team. Ignore Ristolainen's and Gorges +/-. Gorges is actually a fairly good player.

Being in the top 120 defenders in TOI means top four defender right? Being in the top 120 defenders in points means top four defender right?

Zadorov is 119th in TOI and 96th in points and he's played less than 40 games.

He's a top four defender.

Yes yes. And we could afford to lose Briere and Drury because we had two more top-20 centers.

Zadorov's ice time is purely a function of being on one of the worst teams of the last 20 years and having an abnormal contract situation. He wouldn't be getting those minutes on even a mediocre team.

Yes yes. And we could afford to lose Briere and Drury because we had two more top-20 centers.

Zadorov's ice time is purely a function of being on one of the worst teams of the last 20 years and having an abnormal contract situation. He wouldn't be getting those minutes on even a mediocre team.

This argument holds no water. Yes, the Sabres were forced to keep him with the team. But they didn't just give him his spot. He established himself in that role. They could easily plug that hole, as you're suggesting his role is labeled, with any number of journeyman defenders. Instead they've chosen not to. And the numbers suggest his placement, maybe just barely, fits.

This might have already been stated, but without the KHL-CHL Transfer Agreement, we would not be having this discussion because Zadorov would be playing for the London Knights. As Eleven stated some time in the A would do him good and it would not surprise me if he starts the year in Rochester next season

This argument holds no water. Yes, the Sabres were forced to keep him with the team. But they didn't just give him his spot. He established himself in that role. They could easily plug that hole, as you're suggesting his role is labeled, with any number of journeyman defenders. Instead they've chosen not to. And the numbers suggest his placement, maybe just barely, fits.

I'm sorry, but the argument that he's a top-4 defenseman because he's getting #4 minutes on the worst team in the league is the one that doesn't hold water. He's getting those minutes not because he earned them, but because he can't play anywhere else and we're not trying to win games. If we were trying to improve he'd be on the 3rd pair with Pysyk in his spot on the second pair.

This might have already been stated, but without the KHL-CHL Transfer Agreement, we would not be having this discussion because Zadorov would be playing for the London Knights. As Eleven stated some time in the A would do him good and it would not surprise me if he starts the year in Rochester next season

And yes, this. If he could be in the CHL he would be.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

There's a lot we don't know, but to sum up:

- Zadorow would be in London if not for the KHL stuff

- He has played reasonably well for the Sabres so he's a top-4 on this team

- I don't think he'd be top-4 on many other teams

- He might be getting the time here since there's no point in keeping him here and scratching him every night

- The bottom half of Buffalo's D seems to rotate in and out at random, so it's probably fair to say they're all close enough to throw a net over

-- Or, Nolan is just playing "In this crap season, everyone gets a turn"; I think if the Sabres were on the bubble the line-up would be more static as "win win win" would be the primary thought

Zads is top four in Buffalo and would not be in the league in most organizations.

So far, I don't get the sense being rushed has hurt him, but I do expect a lot of ups and downs in the next few years.

I think it is almost guaranteed that the fan base will turn on him at some point.

Edited by dudacek

Again, I don't understand the argument that he would not also be in the top four on other teams. He's well within the scoring range and his numbers reflect that if anything he'd be even more solid in a top four role on a team that isn't the Sabres.

He's almost definitely a top four defenseman on a team that actually has an offense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.