Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

I live in Las Vegas and we don't have enough hockey fans here to fill a 16,000 seat arena on a nightly basis. NHL is stupid for even thinking about Vegas. Why not look at Arizona and Florida and try to help them out instead of adding a third team to that list that would struggle to fill seats.

I live in Vegas and will tell u it's not gonna work. MLS team good chance because of all the Hispanic population but hockey big fat negative.

Don't the ECHL LV Wranglers average around 8K? That's not shabby.

I'm a little curious about Vegas. I want to see it happen, and I think it's going to... and I think the NHL is smart enough to have a contingency plan in case it fails.

The reports are that Vegas, QC and Seattle are very close to getting franchises. Whoever, Seattle will need a stadium first. Their stadium situation right now it required to see an NBA team come first. There aren't any teams with expiring leases and no talk of NBA expansion. So this is what the NHL may be thinking: expand to QC and Vegas who both officially have new stadiums on the way. QC will work. Vegas is a large question mark. They'll make sure to watch closely. If they really aren't working after 5-10 years then you've still got Seattle in your back pocket. They may have an NBA team and stadium by then. If Vegas doesn't work then you can place them there. If Vegas does work then Phoenix and Florida could bite it.

Just a random thought. Might be one way of thinking about it.

@reporterchris: If the NHL were to expand tomorrow, it would still be "two or three years" before the team(s) joined the league, per Gary Bettman.

bettman talking openly about expansion today. Says that the board will be updated about the interested parties in their upcoming meetings. Tried to downplay the talk but it's obvious that it's pretty deep into the process at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-no-one-should-be-caught-off-guard-by-expansion-1.154730

"After an interview with NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly in early November, Minneapolis Star Tribune hockey writer Mike Russo reported Daly met with a potential ownership group in Las Vegas in early November and toured the construction site for the new arena being built by MGM Resorts. Larry Brooks reported in the New York Post a week after that the NHL had gone so far as to have chosen William Foley and the Maloof family as the designated owners of a Las Vegas expansion franchise when or if the NHL gets around to committing to expansion, and that the franchise fee would be $400 million"

If the league expands to Las Vegas they are fools! Fix Florida and Arizona before you try to expand here in Las Vegas. We don't have enough local fans to make this work. We couldn't sell out minor league hockey with far less seats than an NHL arena. It will be another flop. I could see MLS working here because of all the Hispanics.

If the league expands to Las Vegas they are fools! Fix Florida and Arizona before you try to expand here in Las Vegas. We don't have enough local fans to make this work. We couldn't sell out minor league hockey with far less seats than an NHL arena. It will be another flop. I could see MLS working here because of all the Hispanics.

We'll see. Minor league and the real deal are different beasts. The NHL is in a great position financially. I say take the risk.

Bettman's expansipn update:

Nothing formal. They updated the owners on the process and are letting William Foley do a season-ticket drive in Vegas to see if they have enough interest.

This is going to happen. Soon.

If you think 2016 or 2017 is soon than yea I guess.

Maybe the Wranglers didn't sell out but they drew way more fans than, say, the Manchester Monarchs, in the alleged hockey hotbed of New Hampshire, who make Verizon Wireless Arena look like a Panthers game, even on weekends.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• 1 month later...

Just saw a report on twitter that the price for expansion is north of 450million for a new Vegas team.

Here is the TSN Article that breaks it down.

"A prospective NHL team in Las Vegas should generate at least $450 million in expansion fees for the league, two NHL owners told TSN.

“It’s going to be between $450 million and $500 million. I bet it comes in at about $475 million,” one owner told TSN, requesting anonymity because the league does not like owners to speak publicly about such issues.

A second NHL owner subsequently agreed with the prediction."

Just saw a report on twitter that the price for expansion is north of 450million for a new Vegas team.

Here is the TSN Article that breaks it down.

[/size][/font][/color]

Well, we all knew it was there, but it's nice to have a number on it now. Nearly a billion dollars to add two teams...makes sense the league is gung-ho on expansion in spite of the talent dilution problem.

Well, we all knew it was there, but it's nice to have a number on it now. Nearly a billion dollars to add two teams...makes sense the league is gung-ho on expansion in spite of the talent dilution problem.

It's an assumed problem that there would be talent dilution issues. It's by no means a guarantee. It IS a guarantee that the league would make a shitload off of two expansion teams. I'm all for two more teams.

It's an assumed problem that there would be talent dilution issues. It's by no means a guarantee. It IS a guarantee that the league would make a shitload off of two expansion teams. I'm all for two more teams.

It's an assumed problem in the same way it's an assumption I won't win the lottery tomorrow. There isn't enough talent to ice 30 quality teams, and somehow there might be enough talent to ice 32 quality teams? Two more teams means more AHL caliber players in the NHL.

It's an assumed problem in the same way it's an assumption I won't win the lottery tomorrow. There isn't enough talent to ice 30 quality teams, and somehow there might be enough talent to ice 32 quality teams? Two more teams means more AHL caliber players in the NHL.

Here's the thing: there is simply no such thing as a league where every single team is "quality." Every league with any number of teams will have a few bad teams beyond say 14/15 teams in the league. Adding two teams isn't suddenly going to make the number of bad/really bad teams jump from 5-6 to double digits. You'll still have those teams that can't figure out how to scout and draft properly and end up with top picks for ages. You'll have teams that hog up the good forwards and lack defense (and vice versa). You'll still have a few teams that seem to have everything. It's really not going to change a whole lot. Coaching and management will even out the kinks after a few years.

Edited by Tank

KHL is having some financial issues with the dropping oil price, there would be a few decent players considering coming over.

I'm not saying the NHL could ice 32 good teams, but the dilution would not be as bad as some think.

Another couple of homes available for Martin Brodeur types who want to hang on for records, pride, one last chance or payday.

I'm from the original six era so am used to the "dilution".

Dilution is true. More AHL'ers II guess is a natural extension. But for how long? In the last ten years I'm willing to bet Vanek style that in the US ten times more kids have grown up as rink rats as opposed to the prior 100 years. I would expect an tremendous burst of US talent in the next five to ten years.

I'd like to see a 21-team league again, but seriously, adding two teams to 30 isn't going to make much of a difference to us.

It'll spread the top guys a little thinner, but the gap between the Torrey Mitchells and Cody Hodgsons and the top guys in The AHL and the KHL isn't that much.

The fans can absorb another Carolina and Phoenix without blinking.

Just because Buffalo has ahl players doesn't mean every other team does. I think the NHL can handle 2 more teams

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.