Rip Simonick to be Inducted into the Buffalo Sports HoF

26CornerBlitz

@BuffaloSabres

PHOTO: #Sabres Equipment Mgr. Rip Simonick, 2014 inductee into @BuffSportsHall, during the 1984-85 season. (@BWipp)

BowM7gMIYAA67RA.jpg

Rip Simonick- Buffalo Sports HOF (5/28/14) <1:59>

The Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame announces Sabres' equipment manager, Rip Simonick, will be inducted as a part of its 2014 class.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I highly approve. I hope this doesn't mean he's retiring soon. That guy has sweated and bled more Blue and Gold than many of us ever could.

Rip highlights:

Haunting interview about the first post-9/11 game at MSG: http://video.sabres....nsole?id=186048

Dave Andeychuk on Rip's influence on his development

Rick and Rip on Hasek

Edited by IKnowPhysics

So Korab was traded for a first round pick that turned into Phil Housley, then came back to the Sabres and appeared in this pic with Phil Housley. Cool.

Of course that's Mike Ramsay (Edit: I'm calling myself on that one!), but who's the player seated far left? And is that Joe Crozier behind the bench? Under Scotty? I don't remember that.

Edited by PASabreFan

So Korab was traded for a first round pick that turned into Phil Housley, then came back to the Sabres and appeared in this pic with Phil Housley. Cool.

Of course that's Mike Ramsay (Edit: I'm calling myself on that one!), but who's the player seated far left? And is that Joe Crozier behind the bench? Under Scotty? I don't remember that.

Looks like a '2' to me on his left shoulder? If that is the case then....

http://www.hockey-re...s/BUF/1985.html

It must be one of the following players..

25 Andreychuk..nope.

29 Mal Davis

24 Bill Hajt...nope

26 Dave Maloney

23 Gates Orlando

26 Steve Patrick

20 Brent Peterson.... remembering a 'stache so no.

27 Larry Playfair....nope

21 Claude Verret

my guess is Dave Maloney

He's sitting next to a 0, so it's either CRam or...Brent Pederson. Just as easily a forward?

right! that has to be either one. Hard to know, same line.

It is Maloney...someone asked Whippert on Twitter.

I remember Maloney looking much more Guido....

I'll have to get on twitter someday. Whippert is on there. Man. I've searched for tweets, but I've never learned how to use the thing.

Here's the induction writeup: http://buffalosports...t-rip-simonick/

Congratulations, Rip.

He is the longest serving equipment manager in the NHL, dating back nearly to the club's inception in 1969. Rip was there for it all...

Rip was instrumental in saving Malarchuk. Spoiler tags for expectedly gruesome:

St. Louis Blues winger Steve Tuttle sliced Malarchuk's external jugular vein in a pileup in the crease. Malarchuk amazingly never lost consciousness and skated off the ice under his own power. Sabres trainer Jim Pizzutelli, who was a medic in Vietnam, and equipment manager Rip Simonick were the first to reach him.

"The biggest thing I remember is both Pizza and Rip actually having their hands inside his throat," said Sabres assistant coach Scott Arniel, who was a forward on that team. "The scene of the blood squirting straight out like a hose is very vivid in everybody's mind.

He remembers almost not making out of Buffalo alive during B77:

His favorite memory involving Saturday’s opponent – Montreal – was the Sabres’ visit Jan. 28, 1977. The legendary blizzard was in full swing in Buffalo.

“We ended up getting out with 12 hockey players,” Simonick said. “Players got to the airport in snowmobiles if their neighbor or friend had snowmobiles. This was in the ’70s, so there weren’t that many four-wheel drives. Some emergency vehicles took guys to the airport, and we just took off. There was nothing we could do.

“When we’re taking off, the wheels on the prop plane hit a snow bank. We thought we were going down. The plane just tilted forward, the pilot pulled it back up and we got up. Those were harrowing moments.”

Despite being undermanned, the Sabres earn a 3-3 tie against the Canadiens.

He's been used as a spokesman for Blademaster (ice sharpening) equipment.

He's got a fan-made parody twitter account: https://twitter.com/Not_Rip

Rip was inducted into the Sabres Hall of Fame in 2000, before many notable Sabres alumni.

As of 2009, he was asked to work three NHL All Star games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.