Rip Simonick to be Inducted into the Buffalo Sports HoF

26CornerBlitz

Parts and pieces:

Rip plans on writing a book, he jokes that it may possibly be several books.

About 15:00 in, Rip has a great, succint line about Sabres that have passed on, including Rick Martin, his best friend:

They all can't be here, but I'm with them.

Best all around players, not just skill, but work ethic:

Gil Perrault

Michael Peca

Cody Hodgson

Greatest individual performance against the Sabres:

Lundqvist eliminating the Sabres about seven years ago in the playoffs. Also, Bernie Parent in the 75 finals.

George Babcock once hid in the overhead bin on an airplane and scared the ###### out of Craig Rivet when he opened the bin and George jumped out at him.

On the Sabres next year:

Don't give up hope. Because I haven't. That's why I'm staying around.

Rapid fire questions:

Best captain: Gil Perrault

Best coach: Lindy Ruff

Best guy in the locker room: Danny Gare

Most unsung player: Michael Peca

Toughest player: Christian Ruutu. He played four games with a broken arm.

Player with most surprisng career/most unexpected to make it in the NHL: Dwayne Roloson

Player that would make the best coach: James Patrick. Helped out a lot, was runner up for the Norris trophy five straight years.

Always picks up the check: Rick Jeanneret

Never picks up the check: His partner, Rob Ray

Rip was interviewed on Sports Radio 1270 today: http://www.sportsrad...13613&is_corp=0

Good lengthy segment. Good stuff from Rip. Nice to get Marty on too.

"You've been in the league since 1970 and been to every city. What are the Sabres thought of around the league as a franchise?"

There's no doubt in my mind, by far, they're the most supported team on the road in the National Hockey League. It's not even close. When we played Carolina in '99, the fans, you could hear them in an afternoon game screaming outside, "Go Sabres Go!" I mean, some rinks in Florida, half the attendance is Buffalo Sabre fans. You go into Tampa, you go into Florida, it's all Buffalo Sabres fans. I mean, they're all over the place. Which is great for us. Go to California. Go to Canada. It's awesome! You could pick up the paper today- when the kid won a million-three in Vegas gambling, he's wearing a Buffalo Sabres sweatshirt, which is really good! I mean, he just showed the passion for the Buffalo Sabres.

"In terms of league people league-wide, how is the Sabres organization thought of?"

The franchise, obviously, has made immense strides in the last twenty years. We're well-respected. We, as a group and the guys I work with and the medical staff and the people in the building, try to treat the teams with respect. So we expect respect when we go to their city, because we give them everything they need here to play, and whatever happens on the ice happens on the ice. But we have good transportation in and out of the building. We have good people that work in the visiting locker room, and we try to get them everything that's necessary for the game to go on. So they know when they come to Buffalo, they're going to have everything they need to play the game. We don't try to shortcut anybody.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.