Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

So, Blues and Isles picks, Moulson, Myers, Pysyk and Enroth/Neuvirth on a sign and trade? That's about the best we can do.

It's time to be afraid that this happens:

2015 #1, Kessel, Phaneuf, Reilly, Bernier, 2016 #1 to Edmonton for McDavid and a contract or two. Edmonton is closer to the cap than you'd think and that's a lot of money to add with none going back.

Edmonton is probably more likely to say... Nylander, Van Reimsdyk, Morgan Reilly, 2015 1st, 2015 2nd, 2016 1st.

That would be the package I would do. Two young but different forwards than what you have. A solid defender who is also young. A chance to add a 2015 first round defender, a hedge your bets 2nd rounder and a 2016 1st that is easy trade bait if needed. Phaneuf is I think older than what EDM should be looking for. Kessel I wouldn't touch with a 10ft electric cattle prod. If you make this move it has to be to shore up as many holes as possible for as long as possible. Now you could argue they need more defense, but I think there are other ways to fix that issue. Bernier is not the answer in goal they need, and with the 2015 picks you can always draft GT and defense late in the first and early in the 2nd.

Edmonton won't trade #1 if they have it but just for poops and giggles those are my thoughts.

Edmonton is probably more likely to say... Nylander, Van Reimsdyk, Morgan Reilly, 2015 1st, 2015 2nd, 2016 1st.

An 8th, a 2nd, a 5th overall, a top-10 1st, and probably a top-15 1st. Plus a top-45 2nd.

For one player.

Jesus.

I think Edmonton takes that trade. I would've thought just about any three of those things and that 2nd rounder would do it.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Sporting News ran a response piece to the puck daddy drivel:

At Puck Daddy, Josh Cooper outlined why McDavid and, by proxy, 1A prospect Jack Eichel, don't belong on the Sabres or Oilers. Cooper's main argument is that the league has more to gain by having those guys land in Glendale, Ariz. and Raleigh, N.C. than Buffalo or Edmonton. He brought other reasons too, though, and also a relevant Wayne's World quote.

Needless to say, lots of people — Sabres fans in particular — disagreed with Cooper's reasoning. Count us in that group; he used a half-measure. Nobody deserves these dudes. No team. No city. No fans. Nobody.

Much better.

An 8th, a 2nd, a 5th overall, a top-10 1st, and probably a top-15 1st. Plus a top-45 2nd.

For one player.

Jesus.

I think Edmonton takes that trade. I would've thought just about any three of those things and that 2nd rounder would do it.

Honestly yea, if you want Connor McDavid you will need to pony up all that. It is why these trades never happen. It is insane to make it.

I thought we agreed not to discuss a mcdavid trade because there is no way it happens. The very outside shot it does is if it's to the team picking second.

Thanks for saying what I am thinking. Its a waste of grey matter to even spend a second thinking about the scenario.

You should spend about the same amount of time thinking about a way to trade for Patrick Kane as you should for anyone giving up the #1 or #2 picks this year.

In actually draft news - the new guy I set my sights onto now that Marner is out of the equation Travis Konecny has performed very well (on and off ice) at the Prospects game testing. he is said to be in group with McDavid and Marner as the top skaters - with and without puck.

Speaking of Marner - he is playing with Strome and Debrusk tonight for Team Cherry.

Speaking of Cherry - said it was a joke that Eichel was ever in the conversation for #1 overall. Said he was a great prospect but that McDavid is special talent that comes around only once every 10 years.

Speaking of McDavid - just read that Konecny is playing on a line with McDavid tonight. A big game could move him back up the rankings and away from potentially being picked up by Buffalo. Thanks again Islanders!!!

Edited by Crusader1969

What are your wants for the Sabres this draft? They should be looking at 4 picks in the top 31 (assuming they hold onto last place)

I could see them looking for a smooth skating D who will QB the Power Play. If he falls into the 20s that could be Kylington be a guy they look at? maybe Jeremy Roy?

Haven't spent a lot of time on D this year outside of Kylington, Hanifin, Werenski and Provorov

I'm really torn on whether they should keep all four picks or try to move two or all three of the later to move back up to 10 to 12 and get a second high end player. In a deep draft like this I will be fine with Tim making all of his picks but if there is a guy he loves that falls a bit he has the ammunition to move up and grab him if he wants.

As for a good pp qb take a look at vandle somple. I'm biased being a generals fan but he is a very high end dman that I think projects to a pp 1 qb. His defensive game has really improved this year as well.

Dan Marr from central scouting was on WGR this morning and basically said that teams drafting in round 1 this year would get a NHL player. I would like to see the Sabres package a 1st & 2nd or other to move up in the 1st round but not both 1s in the same deal. At the end the Sabres still have 3 1st rounders, but they've moved up in the order. I think their holes are so many that I'd like them to keep 3 picks in the 1st round though.

Has their ever been a year like this where there was an absolute clear image of who the number one AND number two pick is? I don't remember one like this recently at least.

Ovechkin-Malkin, Lindros-Falloon, and one other that isn't immediately coming to mind.

I'm really torn on whether they should keep all four picks or try to move two or all three of the later to move back up to 10 to 12 and get a second high end player. In a deep draft like this I will be fine with Tim making all of his picks but if there is a guy he loves that falls a bit he has the ammunition to move up and grab him if he wants.

As for a good pp qb take a look at vandle somple. I'm biased being a generals fan but he is a very high end dman that I think projects to a pp 1 qb. His defensive game has really improved this year as well.

Trading up in the 1st all depends on our success in the CHL and the deadline moves IMO. Pretty much have 4 scenarios, the most preferable and likely of which being:

The Sabres finish 30th, and acquire some 2nd round/late firsts at the deadline for Stewart, Stafford, maybe Crusty Handkerchief. We get McEichel, and have some more ammo to move up into the early teens to take a shot at a guy we want. It probably won't be enough ammo to get a guy like Marner, but it could be enough to ensure Murray is handcuffed in trying to get his guy ala Larkin last year. In this instance I would prefer to keep the majority of our 1sts, and use a few 2nd's to climb back into the late first for a player; basically I don't want to sell the farm to move up 10 picks in such a deep draft.

The other most likely scenario I think would be we miss McEichel, pick 3rd or 4th, and still manage to sell off most of, but not all assets at the deadline. In this instance, the questions start flying. Strome vs. Marner, trading up to get back into the top 10, etc. Without a top 2 overall pick, I could imagine we're not nearly as confident in this turnaround being nearly as quick, or perhaps as successful. So does Murray move the majority of our picks to move up and grab one of those top guys to fill the absence left by McEichel? I would imagine he does. Marner and Strome may be great players, but they would certainly be a huge letdown from what we envisioned. Trying to replace the loss of McEichel with 2 top 10 picks this year might be on Murray's mind

Edited by WildCard

Thanks for bringing up Vandle Somple! Do you know if he is hurt?

just looked at the roster for tonights game and he isn't listed. I remember that he had a really good Ivan Hlinka camp and tournament this past summer. The guy at DraftBuzz who I really enjoy reading has Vande Somple rated higher than Kylington. Also has him listed as one of the top D Skaters in this years draft.

Maybe he could be a bottom pair D for the Sabres and QB their PP for them in 2 or 3 years.

Edited by Crusader1969

Is Vandle Somple hurt? just looked at the roster for tonights game and he isn't listed.

Yep he's been out the past two weeks. Undisclosed injury but being called upper body ( I believe his shoulder). He will likely be back next week.

I'm disappointed he's going to miss this game.

Just looked and central scouting currently has him ranked at 33 so he will be around with one of those three picks and likely our own second. Keep an eye on him as the year goes on because he is a very offensive minded dman. Gens scoring has gone way down the past couple of weeks and their pp seems very off without him.

Edited by Derrico

Ovechkin-Malkin, Lindros-Falloon, and one other that isn't immediately coming to mind.

I wasn't as into the draft then so I wasn't sure how clearcut Malkin was as the number two behind Ovechkin. Same with Lindros-Falloon. Thanks.

Edited by Tank

Ah sorry, misunderstood what you meant. Thought you meant has it been the case where 1 and 2 were a step up from the pack

Yea, it's hard to express what I was going for.

Anyone else watching the prospects game?

Oui. On here at work.