World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

Studs up stomp towards the opponents knee is generally a sending-off offense.

So is biting someone.

Studs up on a sliding tackle yes, but not even sure what you would call that incident.

wasn't that bad because he lifted his leg from ground, if he kept it on ground he could have broken it.

No where near enough force to come close to breaking his leg.

Guest Sloth

The U.S. shouldn't be looking at the tie breakers. Play for the win. A W will put the U.S. against Algeria or Russia. Odds of playing South Korea are slim. If the U.S. finishes second in the group, they'll have to play Belgium. Sure, the U.S. played a great game against Portugal. Possibly the best game ever for the U.S. in a World Cup game. Possession was just shy of 50/50 and they had around 15 shots. Almost double the amount they had against Ghana. Minus two bone headed mistakes, the U.S. played a great game. And to do that against Portugal is very impressive. Klinssman is doing a lot for U.S. soccer.

The U.S. shouldn't be looking at the tie breakers. Play for the win. A W will put the U.S. against Algeria or Russia. Odds of playing South Korea are slim. If the U.S. finishes second in the group, they'll have to play Belgium. Sure, the U.S. played a great game against Portugal. Possibly the best game ever for the U.S. in a World Cup game. Possession was just shy of 50/50 and they had around 15 shots. Almost double the amount they had against Ghana. Minus two bone headed mistakes, the U.S. played a great game. And to do that against Portugal is very impressive. Klinssman is doing a lot for U.S. soccer.

Don't worry we aren't impressing anyone at the moment :P

@NYTSports

Breaking: Luis Suarez banned for 9 games, suspended from all soccer-related activity for four months.

Good. He will miss the rest of this tournament, most if not all of Uruguay's next competitive tournament, and the four month part means he can't start the Premier League season with Liverpool.

Edited by Eleven

Guest Sloth

@NYTSports

Breaking: Luis Suarez banned for 9 games, suspended from all soccer-related activity for four months.

He deserves everything thrown at him. Suarez is an embarrassment to the game.

I think Klinsman is going to play for the win.

The difference in the path for the group winner and the group runner up is stark. Neither of these teams wants to land in the bracket with Belgium and Messi. They'll want Algeria/Russia and France.

Good. He will miss the rest of this tournament, most if not all of Uruguay's next competitive tournament, and the four month part means he can't start the Premier League season with Liverpool.

the jurisdictional piece of that is interesting to me. does FIFA hold sway over the EPL?

FIFA > EFA > EPL.

i'm sure that's right as a practical matter.

that said, FIFA's lawyers are looking into whether their ban can bar a transfer to a new club. and liverpool just issued a statement saying they're going to take time to consider what FIFA has done before making any further comment on the situation.

FIFA > FA > EPL

right?

I think it's the English Football Association and we're just used to seeing it as "The FA" but I may be wrong. In any event, that's how it flows.

i'm sure that's right as a practical matter.

that said, FIFA's lawyers are looking into whether their ban can bar a transfer to a new club. and liverpool just issued a statement saying they're going to take time to consider what FIFA has done before making any further comment on the situation.

Yeah, he's been the subject of a rumor regarding a transfer from Liverpool to Barca so they need to straighten that out.

Edited by Eleven

Yeah, I think it's just as stupid as the whole "the" Ohio State University thing.
Nothing is quite that stupid.
your right. I should have said, almost. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one. That being said, I went to THE State University of New York at Buffalo. ;)

Edited by MattPie