Sabres to induct Hasek into the Sabres Hall of Fame on March 29th

Hoss

Hamilton goes so far out of his way to say Hasek is the best "regular season goalie" he's ever seen. It's super annoying and unnecessary. If that's his opinion fine but in evey interview I've listened to in the last week, Hamilton has been sure to qualify his praise of Dom with that regular season crack.

Here's where I disagree.

Your argument works today because the gap between the Lundqvists and the Rasks to the next tier of goalies today is not huge.

The gap between Hasek and Rask or Lundqvist is far greater.

Hasek was special. He dominated. He made a bigger difference in more games than Lidstrom or Forsberg ever did.

During his heyday, he would have been picked first overall.

I agree that Dominik was a force of nature. I think though that Forsberg was also one, as was Lidstrom in a different way. I also think that if I were building a team, I'd choose having a force at center, and maybe D, over having one in net. (So I'd take Forsberg and Stastny over Dom but not sure about Lidstrom. I'd definitely take Orr over Dominik.)

Hamilton goes so far out of his way to say Hasek is the best "regular season goalie" he's ever seen. It's super annoying and unnecessary. If that's his opinion fine but in evey interview I've listened to in the last week, Hamilton has been sure to qualify his praise of Dom with that regular season crack.

I have not heard him say that, but I trust you that he did. Nonsense. Complete nonsense. If there's a better goalie in the entire history of hockey, it's Tretiak, and even that is a good debate.

I have not heard him say that, but I trust you that he did. Nonsense. Complete nonsense. If there's a better goalie in the entire history of hockey, it's Tretiak, and even that is a good debate.

You're not addressing Hamilton's point though, that there was some kind of dropoff in his game in the postseason. Statistically probably nonsense, but Dom certainly had his moments in the playoffs.

You're not addressing Hamilton's point though, that there was some kind of dropoff in his game in the postseason. Statistically probably nonsense, but Dom certainly had his moments in the playoffs.

His statistics were better in the playoffs, actually. And with respect to GAA, I'd say the difference (about 10 percent) is significant: http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hasekdo01.html

Hamilton really doesn't have a point to address, IMO.

His statistics were better in the playoffs, actually. And with respect to GAA, I'd say the difference (about 10 percent) is significant: http://www.hockey-re.../hasekdo01.html

Hamilton really doesn't have a point to address, IMO.

He does if you consider the phantom injuries and times where it was perceived that he walked out on his teammates.

He does if you consider the phantom injuries and times where it was perceived that he walked out on his teammates.

The thought did occur to me that Hamilton might have been going there.

Meltdown vs. Caps. Kasparaitis. Maybe even weak goal against Stars in Game 6, but that's getting awfully picky.

Can't win 'em all, as Tretiak himself showed us once!

Playoffs are tougher than the regular season and our various owners, bless em, have never loaded for bear for the playoffs. So we've had a tough time. But we'll never know if Hasek let up any crucial playoff goals on purpose. Seems to me the way he skated off the ice after the Kasperaitus goal, he knew he wasn't coming back.

Playoffs are tougher than the regular season and our various owners, bless em, have never loaded for bear for the playoffs. So we've had a tough time. But we'll never know if Hasek let up any crucial playoff goals on purpose. Seems to me the way he skated off the ice after the Kasperaitus goal, he knew he wasn't coming back.

I was at that game. What an empty feeling after it was over.

Well, league scoring in Dom's heyday was actually a bit (not much) lower than it is today: http://www.hockey-re...gues/stats.html

I think you're looking at this incorrectly:

League Scoring 1992-2001 2.97gpg.

League Scoring Last 5 years: 2.77 gpg.

But that's not even why I'd want Hasek, presumably if everyone is scoring more, so would your team. Why I'd want hasek is how much better he was than all the other goalies.

Looking at his heyday (1993-1999) Hasek lead the league in sv% every year. His average over that time was .930. The average of the second place starting goalie (keep in mind that this was 5 different guys over that time) was 0.922. In other words hasek was about 12-14 goals better than the next best guy you could have put in net every year. The average 5th place finisher was 0.916, so Hasek was more than 20 goals a season better than all but 4 other guys in the league. And you knew Hasek was going to be #1, you had no idea who the next 4 were going to be year to year.

Looking at the last 5 years, average #1 sv% was 0.935 (4 different guys) average #2 was .931, average #5 was 0.926. The best guys are putting up as good or better numbers than Hasek, but the field has totally caught up.

League average save percentage 1993-1994: 0.902

League average sv% for the last 5 seasons: 0.913

Even the average guys have gotten better.

Hasek was a huge difference maker. Most years, the difference between him and the next best guy (in terms of goals) was as big or bigger than the typical difference between Gretzky and the Next best guy. Certainly bigger than the difference between any of the Euros you mention, and the next best guy at their position.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

I think you're looking at this incorrectly:

League Scoring 1992-2001 2.97gpg.

League Scoring Last 5 years: 2.77 gpg.

But that's not even why I'd want Hasek, presumably if everyone is scoring more, so would your team. Why I'd want hasek is how much better he was than all the other goalies.

Looking at his heyday (1993-1999) Hasek lead the league in sv% every year. His average over that time was .930. The average of the second place starting goalie (keep in mind that this was 5 different guys over that time) was 0.922. In other words hasek was about 12-14 goals better than the next best guy you could have put in net every year. The average 5th place finisher was 0.916, so Hasek was more than 20 goals a season better than all but 4 other guys in the league. And you knew Hasek was going to be #1, you had no idea who the next 4 were going to be year to year.

Looking at the last 5 years, average #1 sv% was 0.935 (4 different guys) average #2 was .931, average #5 was 0.926. The best guys are putting up as good or better numbers than Hasek, but the field has totally caught up.

League average save percentage 1993-1994: 0.902

League average sv% for the last 5 seasons: 0.913

Even the average guys have gotten better.

Hasek was a huge difference maker. Most years, the difference between him and the next best guy (in terms of goals) was as big or bigger than the typical difference between Gretzky and the Next best guy. Certainly bigger than the difference between any of the Euros you mention, and the next best guy at their position.

Yup, the influence a great goaltender can have on your team is much greater then the influence of one of the better forwards or defencemen who are only on the ice for 30 minutes a game (at the most).

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to get my hand slapped for creating a new one...

Anyway, I got word that the Hasek banner is already made and its black and red... but Terry might have it remade since he isn't sure he likes it. I really hope they make it blue and gold.

I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to get my hand slapped for creating a new one...

Anyway, I got word that the Hasek banner is already made and its black and red... but Terry might have it remade since he isn't sure he likes it. I really hope they make it blue and gold.

He's a Banner-Meddler. I knew it.

It had better ###### be blue and gold.

If they put up black and red, I'm going to FNC with my Zebco reel and putting spinner hooks in that sucker.

Yep.

It's not like he didn't have accomplishments in b&g. 1st sub-2.00 since Parent was b&g. 70 save SO was b&g.

It's not meddling when it's fixing something that's broken.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.