The Tank is Done (Now we're just bad)

Johnny DangerFace

I'm alright with this, but what about the signing of free agents this year? How can they add good players and still tank?

Probably for the same reasons we tanked this year with a world-class goaltender plus other assets other teams coveted. I just find it hard to understand how all these teams wanted players from our team, which were good enough to draw plenty of interest, but we still stunk. So, no, going on a shopping spree ain't gonna fix this team, especially now that were without Miller.

That is WGR talk, I heard Joe B. and Mike Schopp saying that the other day and my reaction was the same. "what", they were insistent that 1 or both don't fit (their) plans for success. No need for players that can score.

My initial reaction was "I wouldn't say that they are the same," then my second thought was "but, yeah, if/when the Sabres are really good, they probably won't have both of them on the the team." By "the same", I assume they mean some offensive skill (not elite), but not big, not physical and not strong defensively. One can be on the second line, but not both.

Edited by carpandean

I'll always be a proponent of tanking on some level, even when the Sabres become competitive again if circumstances dictate... like massive injuries to key guys crucial to a Cup run. I see no difference between a 30th place finish and a playoff bubble team in terms of my fan satisfaction score. Give me cup contention or give me tank.

I think the key question about tanking is figuring out when is the right time for Tim Murray to start spending in free agency. Once you have some home grown core young talent, you start using cap space to buy free agents intelligently. With high certainty we aren't buying anything but budget free agents this coming off season, and play with the motley crew of lower cost veterans who won't be floaters. Do we do the same thing in the summer of 2015?

If we plan on building building a new ethos with non-whiny ###### and non-smurfs (Darcy could not find character guys or power forwards who could work as a team) , we will likely be pulling high character/low talent guys to set examples and select reclamation projects off of waivers. If you have enough young guys on the payroll, we will have a relatively cheap team. Hopefully, it is a well coached, motivated group of spirited, competitive young guys getting better and better, and not a dispirited group who turn the talented youngsters into toxic headcases with lousy attitudes. If we have the cap space, we can start spending all at once to start moving in some expensive stars a stockpile of cash for maximum affect. But like a runner in a middle distance race, when is the right time to start your "kick".

I can see 1 scenario with this occurring; risto and Zadorov come up and along with Myers light it up. Armia and Grigs become such an amazing tandem in Rochester and it follows in Buffalo. Enroth and Neuvirth pull off what Crawford/Emery did last year and Stafford scores 30. Hodgson and Ennis have great years, Girgs becomes a consistent scorer and Ott and or Moulson resigns.

Aren't Ott and Moulson a little too young to resign?

Let's be reasonable here, that just isn't true. Everybody wants elite talent, but not everyone wants to deliberately tank to get it. I disagree with them and their reasoning, but there's no reason to distort their position.

There's always an Alexandre Daigle, Bryan Berard, or Patrik Stefan waiting to be taken 1st.

There isn't a single person that doesn't get this concept. The only problem is that ther is no guarantee of the #1 pick. There is also no guarantee that this is the way to build a team. There is also no guarantee that I will not get hit by a bus and die 14 months into this rebuild and never see it to fruition. The only guarantee I have is having to watch painfully bad hockey for seemingly the rest of my life.

Buffalo Sabres- forever in the land of Next Year (only now it's become the land of Two Years From Now :wallbash: )

Like I said, finish last and you ARE guaranteed to draft top 2. Other then that nothing is a guarantee. If you have a better plan go tell it to Pegula maybe you can take Lafontaine some job

Then we need to get some players that are worse. Manipulate the roster so that we finish last. To finish any higher than last would just be foolish. It will take longer to rebuild if we do not finish last next year and get one of the top two picks.

Tanking is over. Soon as all those season ticket holders had Darcy shown the door. Sabres wont be last or even worse 3 next year whomever TN has to work with. We'll just suck, in the worse 5-10 team range.

watch Rochester next year and watch the top prospects for the 2015 draft. How far is it from where you are to either Erie or St.Catharines?

This is actually one of the most exciting periods in Sabres history!

well said, the Ping Pong balls don't fall your way and you miss out on McDavid - you still get Eichel GUARANTEED!!!

Rumours out there that Eichel may play in OHL next year instead of heading to BU. now that would be exciting!

I agree that this is a very exciting time to watch the Sabres. Yes they don't win much on the ice but we are watching the dismantling of a team and the rebuilding of it again. The chance to draft first this year and maybe next year. And we are 10-15 fewer wins next year from watching the Sabres possibly drafting one of the best players to come out in several years. I just don't think 10-15 more wins next year is worth missing out on that possibility.

Hold the line. The tank is on one more year. Stay the course.

I agree that this is a very exciting time to watch the Sabres. Yes they don't win much on the ice but we are watching the dismantling of a team and the rebuilding of it again. The chance to draft first this year and maybe next year. And we are 10-15 fewer wins next year from watching the Sabres possibly drafting one of the best players to come out in several years. I just don't think 10-15 more wins next year is worth missing out on that possibility.

Hold the line. The tank is on one more year. Stay the course.

If you review our last couple drafts, it looks like we've already collected most of the pieces for a very good team. We're loaded on defense and our system has a lot of guys that will look great on our 2nd and 3rd lines.

The Sabres are just missing stars to put on their first line -- the type of guys we haven't had in far too long. Hopefully this draft and the next one finally address that, and we complete the puzzle.

We need a franchise player to get us back on track. Who's it going to be?

sword-in-the-stone-kh.jpg

Edited by Robviously

If you review our last couple drafts, it looks like we've already collected most of the pieces for a very good team. We're loaded on defense and our system has a lot of guys that will look great on our 2nd and 3rd lines.

The Sabres are just missing stars to put on their first line -- the type of guys we haven't had in far too long. Hopefully this draft and the next one finally address that, and we complete the puzzle.

We need a franchise player to get us back on track. Who's it going to be?

sword-in-the-stone-kh.jpg

Duh John Scott and ville Leino!!! Top tier talent

I'm a realist and say that we don't get McDavid next year, but with good picks this and next year and continued motivated play, we will contend in a few years

Duh John Scott and ville Leino!!! Top tier talent

I'm a realist and say that we don't get McDavid next year, but with good picks this and next year and continued motivated play, we will contend in a few years

I'd love to add Connor McDavid, both because he's a ridiculous talent and because we've never had a superstar forward with that much hype, but I'm not as obsessed with him as maybe some other people are.

The next Crosby is awesome but you don't *NEED* the next Crosby to win. Just make sure our high draft picks count, and hit a few other home runs as well.

I'd love to add Connor McDavid, both because he's a ridiculous talent and because we've never had a superstar forward with that much hype, but I'm not as obsessed with him as maybe some other people are.

The next Crosby is awesome but you don't *NEED* the next Crosby to win. Just make sure our high draft picks count, and hit a few other home runs as well.

FWIW, I'm with you. I think Tank Nation is conveniently forgetting the odds do not favour a McDavid slam dunk and could very well be setting themselves up for a disappointment when the Sabres draft, oh, third in 2015.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.