SPOILER GDT: CANADA v USA MEN'S SEMIFINAL

Eleven

Although I think there is somewhat more holding/interference than there was in 2005-06 -- because there are somewhat fewer penalties called for those infractions -- I also think there is much, much less than there was pre-2005 lockout. More broadly, I don't think holding/interference is the problem. I think having 3-5 defenders in the slot blocking shots in the problem.

It may be a problem without a solution, because it's hard to see the NHL adopting something as radical as a 3-second rule or prohibition on shotblocking.

I know there are a lot of people here that don't like the NBA, and I have issues with the NBA too. There are far too many NBA regular-season games where everyone looks like they can't wait to get back to the hotel to get baked, play xbox and then father children with skanky groupies.

However, one fundamental facet of the NBA that the NHL could learn something from is this: although good defense is essential to win a title, good offense usually beats good defense. That is not true in the NHL. As a result, there are still far too many important games between good teams where not only is the score 2-1 or 2-0, there just aren't many scoring chances.

Absolutely. The NBA took conscious steps to make (and enforce) rules that allow its stars to shine. I know many complain about ticky-tack officiating and how "that wasn't a foul 20 years ago"...but I think on balance, it has made for a more entertaining game. The NHL would be wise to follow suit...but I don't think they will until all of the old crusty hockey men are no longer in charge of things.

USA didn't control the puck much in the 2nd or 3rd periods. A lot of bouncing and off target passes. They looked a bit Sabres-esque.

I'm glad it didn't come down to Quick, who was absolutely fantastic today (except for that one play where he batted it away from his own player right in the crease).

Yesterday and today hurts. And it hurts a lot. ###### Canada.

And congratulations to all the Canadians here. :censored:

It's weird, I was way more upset about the women losing yesterday than the men today...and ordinarily, this would be completely the opposite. I think part of it is the women were up 2-0 and really should have won, whereas the men were out-classed from puck drop IMO...plus I didn't even expect the US to medal going into the games, so the disappointment has been nullified quite significantly.

I still think the women's loss yesterday was a factor in energizing the Canadian team today, who could ride the coattails of that huge Canadian comeback and maybe demoralizing the US men's a smidgen?

I think vanek partying did this. The Americans wanted to drink Wednesday night, but when they learned getting drunk could hurt them 24-36 hours later, they abstained. But without alcohol in their body, they lacked the pop they needed

One thing that, I think, was made clear: Patrick Kane is a winner. He wants to win, and he does so often. He wants it, and is heartbroken like a little baby when he doesn't get it. I absolutely love it.

I know that chances are he will NEVER play in Buffalo in a single second of his prime, but I seriously don't want to see a single comment for the rest of eternity saying that somebody doesn't want Patrick Kane in Buffalo. I think if he came to Buffalo he would give every single drop of effort he has to bring the first championship to this city, and he increases our chances tenfold... Even after his prime ends.

I know his history off the field. I know about a lot of the stories of his buddies and their partying... But he's a leader on the ice. He wants it, and he'll do what he wants to take it.

I'm looking forward to him putting on a US sweater in 2018. If they don't pull NHLers out.

It's weird, I was way more upset about the women losing yesterday than the men today...and ordinarily, this would be completely the opposite. I think part of it is the women were up 2-0 and really should have won, whereas the men were out-classed from puck drop IMO...plus I didn't even expect the US to medal going into the games, so the disappointment has been nullified quite significantly.

I'm with you, but the way I staved off depression yesterday was saying to myself "We're going to force the Canadian men to take bronze at best. We're going to still beat them in hockey."

During the game today that fantasy levee was destroyed and I was flooded with the disappointment of yesterday's game. Two of the worst kinds of losses. A game you have in hand slipping away at the last moment and a complete shutout 1 goal loss. The last moment of sheer joy was that 2nd goal for the women. Ughh.

And NS, I didn't read about the treaty and it's a lot easier to win graciously than it is to lose graciously, you bum :P But seriously. You guys earned it. Enjoy silver :devil:

I'm with you, but the way I staved off depression yesterday was saying to myself "We're going to force the Canadian men to take bronze at best. We're going to still beat them in hockey."

During the game today that fantasy levee was destroyed and I was flooded with the disappointment of yesterday's game. Two of the worst kinds of losses. A game you have in hand slipping away at the last moment and a complete shutout 1 goal loss. The last moment of sheer joy was that 2nd goal for the women. Ughh.

And NS, I didn't read about the treaty and it's a lot easier to win graciously than it is to lose graciously, you bum :P But seriously. You guys earned it. Enjoy silver :devil:

General Patton said it best - "I could give a hoot in Hell for a man who could lose.... and laugh about it!" I think everybody should be pissed off - it's the American way. Also as Patton said "Americans play to win... ALL the time!!!" and "Losing is HATEFUL to Americans!"

I think part of it is the women were up 2-0 and really should have won,

And just up 2-0 at the end of the first period, or at the halfway point, or at the start of the 3rd. They were up 2-0 with 220 seconds left in the game. Especially in such an important game, that is a collapse of just unimaginable proportions. The media should really rip into that coaching staff.

I've never understood the glorification of the bad loser. What's so hard about giving every ounce of yourself for the 60 (or more) minutes of play, but then being an adult after the fact?

Big big BIG difference between a bad/poor loser and a guy who left it all out on the ice and is truly deflated afterwards.

I'm hearing rumblings of the Olympics going back to amateurs possibly as soon as as the next Olympics.... Something like the Nhl won't allow their players to go..... If this has any truth, I would really really enjoy it because I still think pros in the Olympics is a disgrace

That's what they say after every olympics.

You think the SHL, SM-Liiga and KHL are gonna follow suit? Nope, me neither.

Let's face it, the NHL is not as significant a league as it was 20 years ago.

Edited by Kristian

That's what they say after every olympics.

You think the SHL, SM-Liiga and KHL are gonna follow suit? Nope, me neither.

Let's face it, the NHL is not as significant a league as it was 20 years ago.

Nope, I know that the chances are slim, but it would be a real treat to have it go back to the way it was.... I can dream

I look at the money spent (51 billion) by the host country alone, the corruption of politicians, The money spent on athletes etc by other nations, and can't help but wonder if the Olympic ideal is even worth carrying on. A two week sporting event thats largely overhyped and overexposed that benefits very few individuals but indebts generations of people in the host countries. Its hard to justify. As much as I enjoy olympic hockey I could really care less if the N.H.L. goes back in Korea.

I look at the money spent (51 billion) by the host country alone, the corruption of politicians, The money spent on athletes etc by other nations, and can't help but wonder if the Olympic ideal is even worth carrying on. A two week sporting event thats largely overhyped and overexposed that benefits very few individuals but indebts generations of people in the host countries. Its hard to justify. As much as I enjoy olympic hockey I could really care less if the N.H.L. goes back in Korea.

Sadly very true.

Nope, I know that the chances are slim, but it would be a real treat to have it go back to the way it was.... I can dream

I would agree, to a certain extent - The problem with the old format, was that there was always a certain team that weren't amateurs.

And if you have pros in every other competition, then why should the hockey tournament be different?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.