GDT USA v Russia

Eleven

great game . Do not care for shootouts. But one positive is that you don't want your team getting beaten down playing to many over long games in preliminary round. Who is to say how long that game could have gone. Great entertainment , but put a few long overtimes together a good team would not have as much in tank for medal round. Unfortunate medal round tie games resolved in this fashion though.

Oshie looked like a young college professor out there specializing in shootouts. He might have been tired, but he sure looked like he was enjoying himself. Kovalchuk looked awesome in those shootouts too.

I'd give player of the game to Datsyuk.

Kane's pass setting up our second goal was a beauty (too bad he botched the break away).

Gutsy performance by US-- blocking shots, etc. I hope they aren't too banged up.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. Good game for both sides.

That's stupid. This is tournament play. Either it ends in a tie or you play a billion overtime periods. The shootout has no place in the Olympics.

While I'm no shootout fan, I'd say the only place the shootout makes any sense, is in the knockout stages of a tournament.

You need to finish the game within a reasonable time frame.

Imagine one semi-final ending in regulation, and another going to 3OT. You can make the argument than the team winning in regulation has earned the right to be better rested, but ultimately the sport is about entertainment, and a fresh team beating a dead tired team in the final isn't very entertaining.

It's different in the NHL playoffs, as you're playing a series and not true knockout games - If you go to 3OT, your opponent suffers equally, or you get a few days off before the next series starts.

Yeh that whole deal was silly... I would rather have 4 on 4 than a shoutout. Anti-climatic. Oshie had to be getting tired, gotta admire his perseverance.

How could he be tired? He was skating slower than Putin.

Interesting:

Dmitry Chesnokov@dchesnokov 12m

Voynov on Quick dislodging the net before the Tyutin disallowed goal: "I play with him. I know that's his style." #USAvRUS

Is there video evidence of that? If so, that is clearly 'un-olympian'..

While I'm no shootout fan, I'd say the only place the shootout makes any sense, is in the knockout stages of a tournament.

You need to finish the game within a reasonable time frame.

Imagine one semi-final ending in regulation, and another going to 3OT. You can make the argument than the team winning in regulation has earned the right to be better rested, but ultimately the sport is about entertainment, and a fresh team beating a dead tired team in the final isn't very entertaining.

It's different in the NHL playoffs, as you're playing a series and not true knockout games - If you go to 3OT, your opponent suffers equally, or you get a few days off before the next series starts.

I guess if that's the other side of the coin then just end the game in a tie. If a team speed skating race ended in a tie they wouldn't make one guy from each team race alone. They wouldn't put the two skips from a curling rink up against each other head to head. This is supposed to be a TEAM event.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.