• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

So our trade returns will be high draft picks and low end grinders, no marquee players acquired through trade or free agency... Interesting, Mr. Murray must not be getting the responses he thought he would get for our assets

Nobody said this

The only chance is #1 overall? 6 of the top 20 point scorers in the NHL as of today were taken 1st overall. So it hardly seems like the only way. Most are first round guys though.

I agree, mostly, but simple math tells us we aren't going to see a huge number of 1st overall picks amongst the scoring leaders. There's only been 10 of them picked over the last 10 years. They're rare birds, so nothing much statistically can be said about them.

The only chance is #1 overall? 6 of the top 20 point scorers in the NHL as of today were taken 1st overall. So it hardly seems like the only way. Most are first round guys though.

To be fair, there's a good amount of players on that list that are only on their because one of those 6 #1 overall picks: Kunitz, Backstrom, Okposo, etc.

Though there are certainly other guys that weren't number 1 overalls and still on that list entirely on their own merit: Perry, Getzlaf, Karlsson (which is incredible), etc.

So I do agree with you, it may seem like the most likely way but it is hardly the only way.

Edited by WildCard

In the sportsnet radio interview, TM says he's pretty confident he can improve the bottom six or bottom nine from within the organization and through free agency, but he said the first-line guys have to come from the draft.

This is what I was referring to. For some reason I cannot quote from my laptop, otherwise I would have included this in my post. I feel he is saying this to condition us to accept that our assets will not be valuable enough to grab marquee players from other teams, but gobs of draft picks. So in other words, dont expect to end up with Oshee or OReilly after all the dust has cleared. ..

This is what I was referring to. For some reason I cannot quote from my laptop, otherwise I would have included this in my post. I feel he is saying this to condition us to accept that our assets will not be valuable enough to grab marquee players from other teams, but gobs of draft picks. So in other words, dont expect to end up with Oshee or OReilly after all the dust has cleared. ..

I think you're reading that completely wrong. I don't think it's anything about who he can and can't get in trades.

But, just to be clear, we were NEVER going to get Oshie. He hasn't been, isn't and won't be available.

Edited by Tankalicious

I'm not surprised that he would say it, I would be more surprised if he has received offers from other teams that don't include one though.

The Blues would have to work a multi team deal (or swing a trade before) to unload one of their guys before taking on Miller, but a team like the Wild, or Flyers could work out a deal were they wouldn't have to move any goalie to bring in Miller.

I could see if they don't get one back in the deal they either are negotiating getting someone back in a different deal, or they will wait til the offseason and FA

No real need to get a goalie in return from St. Louis. Both Halak and Elliot are UFA's at the end of the year, if Murray wants one of them he can wait until the offseason. Not like they need another goaltender to finish off this year, start Enroth 80% of the time and bring up Hackett.

Not sure if this is true, but some are now pointing out the Ryan Miller and Steve Ott will NOT play tonight. Anybody confirm/deny? Andy Strickland (radio host in St. Louis with many connections) is the one that said it, but he changed the tweet to just "Some late scratches in Buffalo?"

Edited by Tankalicious

John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl

Before every start, Ryan Miller comes to Sabres' bench to lean on his stick and think about the game. He has not shown up. Not playing?

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

If you're at SJ/BUF tonight, check the warmups -- I can't watch them on-line. Some rumblings BUF may have a couple guys out.

•  

Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford

Confirming reports that Ryan Miller is a late scratch tonight. It's believed that a deal is imminent and STL is the likely destination.

John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl

Before every start, Ryan Miller comes to Sabres' bench to lean on his stick and think about the game. He has not shown up. Not playing?

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

If you're at SJ/BUF tonight, check the warmups -- I can't watch them on-line. Some rumblings BUF may have a couple guys out.

•  

Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford

Confirming reports that Ryan Miller is a late scratch tonight. It's believed that a deal is imminent and STL is the likely destination.

Whoa, interesting. I wonder if Stl said umm hey Buffalo, don't take a chance of getting our guy injured. Lol

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

Amid reports Ryan Miller/Steve Ott scratched tonite, much speculation BUF is close to trading one or both. STL? Or just asset protection?

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 58s

Not saying this is it, but one scenario that has definitely been discussed: 3-way trade involving BUF, STL and OTT. A # of variations.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

STL would get Miller, OTT would get Chris Stewart, BUF would get prospects from OTT. If Ott (the player) included to STL, 1st rder to BUF.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 47s

That scenario I laid out is speculative but has been discussed this week by the teams.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Partly my bad. I didn't see the new thread start up. Let's keep it all there.

Ironic that my focus was directed at the "other" mass poster. I think someone needs to go to the bathroom and rub one out so they can settle down a bit. :P

Ironic that my focus was directed at the "other" mass poster. I think someone needs to go to the bathroom and rub one out so they can settle down a bit. :P

Me? Well considering the trade was reportedly on the verge and actually happened, the new thread was needed.

John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl

Sabres GM Tim Murray on Stewart, Halak: "if somebody feels he’s a missing piece, then I have to talk about it, and the same with the goalie"

So, let's reset things and look at the trade assets we still have. I'll order them by likeliness to move and value mixed:

1. Matt Moulson

2. Christian Ehrhoff

3. Chris Stewart

4. Jaro Halak

5. Drew Stafford

6. Hank Tallinder

7. Tyler Myers

8. Tyler Ennis

9. Jamie McBain

10. Alex Sulzer

11. Zenon Konopka

12. Cody McCormick

Crazy that all twelve of those players have been mentioned in trade talks with some level of seriousness.

I would still keep Myers

I'm not willing to say I would or wouldn't keep anybody. Not even Girgensons. If somebody picks up the phone and offers an Eberle/RNH or somebody similar to Myers then I probably take it.

Latest...

Miller to St. Louis for Rattie, Halak and a 1st round pick.

I would say "BIG" would be...Miller to St. Louis AND Moulson to LA...BOTH TOMORROW! ;)

Nobody special.

Word is all over St. Louis.

Are you in St. Louis?

No "word" is

If St. Louis gets Miller they are going to be tough to beat. Might start an arms race in the west.

If Straw was full of crap Sal C from WGR and the Buffalo Sabres likely would not follow him

No doubt, and I am not trying to be a jerk...just saying what I know is out there, and not just from that guy.

I don't have "sources" per se (like a GM or scout), but I do have people "in the know" whom I trust with information.

Whether that information turns into facts, I have no clue...I will wait and see like all the rest of us, but I trust this one.

holding out for Halak, 1st, 2nd (conditional becomes 1st if they make finals or re signs), rattie

Ohhh so you actually have a source who says we've made that deal with the Blues

Some of you owe Michael Straw an apology...but, while I was NOT in St. Louis, Miller now is...exactly like it was speculated exactly one month ago.

Some of you owe Michael Straw an apology...but, while I was NOT in St. Louis, Miller now is...exactly like it was speculated exactly one month ago.

Nobody owes Straw ######. The writing was on the wall for this trade for a LONGGGG time. We got Halak and a first. Where's Rattie?