Confirmed: Sabres Acquire Winger Linus Omark from Edmonton

26CornerBlitz

I know points don't mean everything, and I'm aware 66 games isn't near enough to sample from, but this kid has a better ppg average then anyone on our bottom 6. I believe this was a steal of a deal

Yea I am really excited to see how this plays out and he definitely has potential. Also welcome to the forum naulter :beer:

I know points don't mean everything, and I'm aware 66 games isn't near enough to sample from, but this kid has a better ppg average then anyone on our bottom 6. I believe this was a steal of a deal

IMHO, your third line should be composed of grinders and sound two way players that log heavy minutes against teams top lines. See Paul Gaustad. Fourth line players are usually energy guys who hit and fight. Omark doesn't fit those roles but with the way Ted has this team constructed, Omark may have a place.

Yea I am really excited to see how this plays out and he definitely has potential. Also welcome to the forum naulter :beer:

Yeah me too!! Also I'm pumped to be here, I've been reading all the time but my acct wouldn't let me comment until lately!! Thanks!

IMHO, your third line should be composed of grinders and sound two way players that log heavy minutes against teams top lines. See Paul Gaustad. Fourth line players are usually energy guys who hit and fight. Omark doesn't fit those roles but with the way Ted has this team constructed, Omark may have a place.

Very good point! Usually that's how it's run but Nolan likes to spread it out by the looks of it! And while omark needs to work on the flip side of the puck I believe he can and will contribute offensively! Plus at the very least the change of management and acquisition of players has given us something to talk about in whats been a rough year in Buffalo! Love the fact that we're taking the steps to improve

16 points in 71 games Paul Gaustad? Paul Gaustad is not a two-way player. He's a defensive player. A fourth liner.

Anyone have info on the conditions of that sixth round pick?

Haven't seen anything, but it's probably based on games played.

Edited by DStebb

Goose averaged more ice time than Vanek. He wasn't a good offensive player but he plays a much larger role than any 4th liner.

He averaged more TOI once which was 07-08, but I get your point. I'm just saying that Goose is a different type of third liner than what you explained haha.

Goose averaged more ice time than Vanek. He wasn't a good offensive player but he plays a much larger role than any 4th liner.

Just look at Gaustad's stats, and it's impressive that he's eeked out a 10 year NHL career with his skillset. I've never understood his value to the game though, especially with the talk that faceoff wins really don't matter.

Why bother trading for a guy who hasn't made it past the AHL at age 26?

At age 26 you throw the word "potential" out the window. He is what he is, which is an AHL level talent that fills in for you on the fourth line when injuries pile up.

Looks like we have our Ales Kotalik back

Yeah, he's just like Kotalik except 3 inches shorter, 30 lbs lighter and zero amount of Kotalik's goal scoring ability. They are mirror images of each other. :blink:

A 6th round pick is almost valueless these days. Why not take a look at Linus? My only wish is that he was a RW where we're relatively weak instead of a LW. But, give him a look.

Agreed.....the bulk of our bottom 6 are AHL types. Why not plug in the leading AHL scorer to see if he gives you more. My expectations are low, but entertainment level may go up for us as his hands are elite.

Turning over a few rocks to see if they can find a hidden nugget is what bad teams should be doing.

He does have skill and God knows we need someone who can create offence.

Maybe he'll be better than Leino, or Stafford, or D'Agostini.

Probably not, but what do they have to lose?

@BuffaloSabres

The #Sabres have acquired winger Linus Omark from the @EdmontonOilers in exchange for a conditional 6th round pick in the 2014 #NHLDraft.

@TBNbucky

Just getting word that #Sabres acquired Edmonton winger Linus Omark in a swap for a draft pick. Omark 29 GP in AHL, one in NHL, this yr

SMART. Not a great player, but a guy who can fill an NHL uniform, and cheap.

My view of this is: it's a conditional sixth round pick. The guy does have more potential than a guy at age 26 should have purely because he just hasn't cracked the lineup in Edmonton. A lot of hockey people have talked about how this guy still needed a real chance.

This can't hurt. It can only help or basically have a neutral impact on the organization. We already have so many draft picks in recent and coming years that the sixth round pick likely would've been just another young body, so why not get a guy in Linus who has shown he CAN produce at a nearly .5 PPG pace and may be able to do more.

He is Leino's replacement for a lot less money and we only have to change the name plate on the number 23 jersey. The savings will allow us to go after the next Shane Doan.

Sarcasm. On the last part.The next guy will be better than Doan! :angel: We are going to be spending some money after all. Honestly though I don't see any downside other than the guy is leaving for home if he doesn't stick with Buffalo.

He is Leino's replacement for a lot less money and we only have to change the name plate on the number 23 jersey. The savings will allow us to go after the next Shane Doan.

Sarcasm. On the last part.The next guy will be better than Doan! :angel: We are going to be spending some money after all. Honestly though I don't see any downside other than the guy is leaving for home if he doesn't stick with Buffalo.

You might be on to something with the Leino replacement.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.