2013 / 2014 World Junior Championship

Derrico

Germany ties it up at 4:02 of the first on the powerplay. 2-2

Canada responds quickly 3-2. and follows that up with another less than a minute later 4-2. Tsn doesn't display the scorer or who got the assists so its hard to credit which player was in on the goals not knowing their numbers.( I have the sound off so as not to wake the wife and kid ) After one period Mantha has 2. Canada leads 4-2.

Canada v Germany few random observations,

Ekblad did not seem comfortable on the big surface, his passing angles seemed off...

Reinhardt has a very instinctive game, was in the right place alot

Drycycle (no offense intended) seems to have the same skating coach as Vanek. Same stride and strained style. Great hands.

I want McDavid!!!! He simply sees things others don't, and not in a "I see dead people" way. The Petan goal on replay showed he threaded a pass and not simply a shot and rbound. The stage does not look too big for him. There is some good talent available in the draft that can really help us.

Ahh, okay thanks man! I was pretty sure that it was posted yet! Must of been wrong! Sorry boys!

My apologies to everyone!! I didn't exactly understand what you guys were mad about! Now I see that I posted what someone else had already posted haha! I won't let it happen again and I'm sorry for coming off like a jerk!!

Sorry buddy, thought you meant I should of posted a link instead of copy pasting! Hadn't realized that someone else beat me to the punch!! Still don't like being called a kid though! I have 2 kids I'm not a kid anymore!

Cheers!

What part of Canada are you in?

I want McDavid!!!! He simply sees things others don't, and not in a "I see dead people" way. The Petan goal on replay showed he threaded a pass and not simply a shot and rbound. The stage does not look too big for him. There is some good talent available in the draft that can really help us.

Dude is a baller too. Played a game most would be proud of and was buzzin' all game long, then says "I missed a whole bunch of chances that I'm pretty embarrassed about. I thought I played an alright game." in postgame.

Is it just me and my growing up on 80s action movies, or do the Germans uniforms make them look like the bad guys?

....probably just me.

Anyway, these kids are entertaining and I love having this to watch all day!

Is it just me and my growing up on 80s action movies, or do the Germans uniforms make them look like the bad guys?

....probably just me.

Anyway, these kids are entertaining and I love having this to watch all day!

They reminded me of the old Canuck flying V's. So so fugly on many levels.( the canucks unis )

I missed the American Game. Any observations ? My brother told me they looked really good.

They reminded me of the old Canuck flying V's. So so fugly on many levels.( the canucks unis )

I missed the American Game. Any observations ? My brother told me they looked really good.

I'll be watching them tonight at 7.

Today was the first time I have watched Reinhardt play. He does seem like a great all-around player. I did notice that he didn't seem to be a natural skater. On the breakaway he actually looked slow (maybe it was end of shift). Either way I look forward to watching more games. This is the first time I have really given this tourney any thought.

If we do get Reinhardt I can see us keeping him in Jr's another year. No need to rush him. I do not see him being a high impact 18 year old. Same for any player they may pick of they end up anywhere in the top 5.

Next year we have to give Grigo a fair shot. Either he is going to be a top 2 center or he is not. His development, I would think, will go a long ways in our 2015 draft plans.

Today was the first time I have watched Reinhardt play. He does seem like a great all-around player. I did notice that he didn't seem to be a natural skater. On the breakaway he actually looked slow (maybe it was end of shift). Either way I look forward to watching more games. This is the first time I have really given this tourney any thought.

If we do get Reinhardt I can see us keeping him in Jr's another year. No need to rush him. I do not see him being a high impact 18 year old. Same for any player they may pick of they end up anywhere in the top 5.

Next year we have to give Grigo a fair shot. Either he is going to be a top 2 center or he is not. His development, I would think, will go a long ways in our 2015 draft plans.

Reinhardt's breakaway was at the end of his shift. My favorite part about that breakaway was that he got stuffed. Instead of skating by the goalie and getting all mad, he stuffed it through the skate and the post.

But you are right, he's not a great skater, butt he's not as bad a skater as Grigorenko.

Connor McDavid is great.

Features: 2014 WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP DAY ONE

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Zadorov and Grigorenko record multi-point games in Russian victory

Two Buffalo Sabres prospects helped Russia steamroll Norway on the first day of the IIHF World Junior Championship in Malmo, Sweden.

Defenseman Nikita Zadorov scored a pair of goals Thursday and center Mikhail Grigorenko added a goal and two assists as Russia struck five times in each of the first two periods to cruise to an 11-0 win over Norway in their opening game of the tournament.

Zadorov put the Russians ahead 2-0 at 6:26 of the opening frame when he accepted a centering a pass and buried a wrist shot from the left faceoff circle high over the shoulder of the Norwegian netminder.

Grigorenko earned a secondary helper on the Zadorov marker.

Russia kept their foot on the gas with two more first-period goals before Grigorenko got one of his own. Cruising through the neutral zone, the talented centerman took a feed at the blue line, skated in 1-on-1 with a defender and quickly released a wrist shot to give Russia a 5-0 lead.

http://youtu.be/Bb-aqbCDeLA

With Russia well in control of the action, Zadorov put forth a great individual effort to score his second goal of the game, stealing the puck in his own zone while on the penalty kill and skating all the way down the left side to score a short-side marker and give Russia a 9-0 lead with 2:42 to play in the second period.

In addition to notching three points, Grigorenko would finish the game with a plus-4 rating and six faceoff wins on 14 tries. Zadorov scored on both of his shots on goal while logging a plus-3 rating.

Russia, who dominated all facets of the game including a 35-14 shot advantage, moves on to face an underrated Switzerland squad on Saturday.

On Friday, Rasmus Ristolainen is expected to be in the lineup as Finland opens round robin play against Norway. The smooth defensive anchor – who hasn’t seen any game action since sustaining an upper-body on while playing for the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League – should play a pivotal role for Finland’s Under-20 squad for the third straight year.

I know I should be excited about their performances, but I'm not. It's against Norway, and at home. And damn, a bunch of posters here could have potted one of those. I appreciate the highlights and updates, though.

They're actually in Sweden, but it was definitely inferior competition. More difficult contests lie ahead that will give us a better sense of where their respective games are.

They're actually in Sweden, but it was definitely inferior competition. More difficult contests lie ahead that will give us a better sense of where their respective games are.

How I got the IIHF WJC confused with the Olympics will be the subject of a new topic concerning my mental health.

I know I should be excited about their performances, but I'm not. It's against Norway, and at home. And damn, a bunch of posters here could have potted one of those. I appreciate the highlights and updates, though.

It's no shock that they are dominating. They should be. That's the key. It'd be worrysome if they were not having big games, essp against an opponent such as Norway. But i get what you're saying.

How I got the IIHF WJC confused with the Olympics will be the subject of a new topic concerning my mental health.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you may not be losing it as badly as you may think, afterall, last years WJC were held in Ufa, Russia. ;)

Archived