WildCard

How much will the Sabres get in return for trading these players?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who will get the best return if traded?

• Ott
    • Miller
    • Ehrhoff
    • Moulson
    • Stafford
    • Myers
    • Ennis
  2. 2. Who do you want to see traded?

• Ott
    • Miller
    • Ehrhoff
    • Moulson
    • Stafford
    • Other
    • Nobody
  3. 3. Preference for return

• All high picks (Early1st & 2nd)
    • High level prospects
    • Mid-level prospects and draft picks
    • Veteran players
    • Veteran players and draft picks
    • Veteran players and prospects

Sorry, negotiated down by his lawyers. I understand there is a distinction from a lawyers perspective, but in reality this was a negotiated deal and there is none.

There was no negotiated deal. There wasn't enough proof of the kidnapping. Court's decision.

Don't mean to pile on but Court has no say at this point, it's in prosecutor's hands and if you don't think his lawyers had a hand in what was eventually charged, you are being naive .

Exactly, this was done before the judge ruled and was agreed to ahead of time.... Probably some other stipulations we may or may not be made aware of publicly. Happens frequently.

Yup. You and the other lawyer figure it out and the judge will 99% of the time go with it. They like quick cases. Especially one's already done when you walk in.

Same thing for player negotiations. Team and agent work it out and the player (judge) just gives the final ok.

There was no negotiated deal. There wasn't enough proof of the kidnapping. Court's decision.

I thought the same of the kidnapping charge (really--one room into another room?)--but did the court dismiss it or did the prosecutor drop it? I can't find an answer to that.

I thought the same of the kidnapping charge (really--one room into another room?)--but did the court dismiss it or did the prosecutor drop it? I can't find an answer to that.

The only thing I saw on the matter was that the court announced that there wasn't enough evidence. Obviously the lawyers would've had to have argued that, but I don't really consider it a negotiated deal. A negotiated deal, to me, means that he got something in exchange for something else. As far as we know, that's not the case. Just the dropping of a charge.

I say this out of experience in a family members case where multiple charges turned into one when one was dropped without "negotiation."

The only thing I saw on the matter was that the court announced that there wasn't enough evidence. Obviously the lawyers would've had to have argued that, but I don't really consider it a negotiated deal. A negotiated deal, to me, means that he got something in exchange for something else. As far as we know, that's not the case. Just the dropping of a charge.

I say this out of experience in a family members case where multiple charges turned into one when one was dropped without "negotiation."

Where? I can't find anything either way.

EDIT: Now I'm finding some sources saying the kidnapping charge was not brought, and not that it was dismissed by the court:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24265816/semyon-varlamov-formally-charged-with-thirddegree-assault

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10019702/semyon-varlamov-colorado-avalanche-charged-domestic-assault

Where? I can't find anything either way.

EDIT: Now I'm finding some sources saying the kidnapping charge was not brought, and not that it was dismissed by the court:

http://www.cbssports...ddegree-assault

http://espn.go.com/n...omestic-assault

It was based on a tweet by this guy: https://twitter.com/ryanparkerdp He has since removed it and tweeted it as charges dropped. His original tweet said the court dropped the assault charge due to lack of evidence. Then tweeted that the district attorney said they couldn't prove it so it was dropped.

It was based on a tweet by this guy: https://twitter.com/ryanparkerdp He has since removed it and tweeted it as charges dropped. His original tweet said the court dropped the assault charge due to lack of evidence. Then tweeted that the district attorney said they couldn't prove it so it was dropped.

. Understand your point, but getting to the point where the prosecution decides not to pursue a charge while getting an agreement to plead guilty to a lesser offense is often a negotiated deal behind the scenes. As Chz says it settles the matter quickly from a judges point of view as long as any concerns are met. It is informal v. what you are stating as a more formal thing. Both are negotiated... just saying.

Also gives prosecution some leverage should something along these lines occur in the future.

. Understand your point, but getting to the point where the prosecution decides not to pursue a charge while getting an agreement to plead guilty to a lesser offense is often a negotiated deal behind the scenes. As Chz says it settles the matter quickly from a judges point of view as long as any concerns are met. It is informal v. what you are stating as a more formal thing. Both are negotiated... just saying.

Also gives prosecution some leverage should something along these lines occur in the future.

There was no deal to drop charges here; Varlamov would have to have pleaded guilty to something in return. Either the prosecution simply didn't think it had a case that would survive dismissal, or that charge was brought and dismissed, and we're not hearing all of the story.

There was no deal to drop charges here; Varlamov would have to have pleaded guilty to something in return. Either the prosecution simply didn't think it had a case that would survive dismissal, or that charge was brought and dismissed, and we're not hearing all of the story.

Did I say drop. Show me, please read. I said pursue. Different terms. That being said I agree not hearing whole story.

Wouldn't not pursuing a charge already filed be the exact same thing as dropping a charge already filed?

I'm not a criminal law expert by any means, but I think there are some differences.

Did I say drop. Show me, please read. I said pursue. Different terms. That being said I agree not hearing whole story.

Take it easy; I'm not arguing with you. I'm agreeing with you.

Whole lot of time between Saturday's game and next Thursday's game. Maybe they amp up the GM search then along with possible trade takes. Moulson going down tonight has to catch their eye a bit. Don't want your assets taking themselves off the market by getting hurt.

Archived