How much would you pay Vanek if you were TP/DR?

nfreeman

44 members have voted

1. 1. What's he worth to ya?

• $6MM x 5 years
    • $7MM x 6 years
    • $8MM x 7 years
    • $8MM x 8 years
    • $9MM x 8 years
    • More than $9MM x 8 years
    • Would rather trade him than re-sign him
  2. 2. Do you think Vanek is willing to re-sign with the Sabres if they start winning and they look like they're on the right track?

• Yes -- he doesn't want to play for a terrible team but if this team looks respectable and the money is right he will re-sign.
    • No -- it's just been lip service and he wants to go to UFA.
  3. 3. Which of the following comes closest to describing your opinion of Vanek?

• He's a truly elite player -- one of the best 7-8 players in the NHL and one of the top 5 Sabres of all time.
    • He's a great player, but probably more like top 20 in the NHL than top 7-8.
    • He's a really good player, but not a franchise player. I could list 30 players in the NHL I'd rather have.
    • He's a gutless Euro wuss who exemplifies everything that's been lousy about this franchise since Black Sunday. Whenever I look at him I think of that stupid hood he wore in the Winter Classic and I get PO'd.

OK, so everyone seems to want to keep Vanek -- including TP -- but Vanek seems to want to go to UFA, or at least to wait and evaluate this Sabres team before deciding. But cooler heads might prevail once it's time to write the check.

A few relevant facts:

- Vanek will be 30 in January.

- In Vanek's last 5 seasons before the lockout, he put up 64, 64, 53, 73 and 61 points.

- The Sabres can give him an 8-year deal; the rest of the NHL can only give him a 7-year deal (although I suppose if he's traded at the deadline, whoever gets him gets the right to give him the 8-year deal.

- There are 15 players in the NHL under contract currently who will have cap hits next year of $7.25MM or more. Only 1 of them (Datsyuk) is over 29.

- There are 8 players under contract who will have cap hits of $8MM or more next year (Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Giroux, Getzlaf, Perry, Staal and Kessel).

- The cap is $64.3MM this year and anticipated to rise next year. It will probably hit $70MM within 2-3 years. At that point, an $8MM cap hit would be 11.4% of the cap.

- The Sabres are $3MM under the cap this year.

Having said that: if you were TP/DR, what would be the maximum you would pay Vanek?

From age 35-38 you are comfortable giving a guy 8m a year? You can see him still on the top line in 5 years? Do you want him on the top line in 5 years? If your answer is no then no way in hell you give him 8x8.

8 is his cap hit. His salary would likely be less as the contract goes on, making him tradeable if we decide we don't want him for the full 8 years. I expect Vanek would be a viable top six player for most of that contract barring some major injury or drop off.

He probably doesn't stick around unless it's an 8 year deal. I'd give him the 8x8. In 8 years, the Cap hit won't be that big a deal. I'd like to see him finish his career as a Sabre. I think he can be productive in his mid 30's.

I really didn't expect myself to be arguing for keeping Vanek. I know my position up through the summer was that we should be trading him. But I think now that would be a mistake. Like it or not he's our most talented forward and could really look good if we put a good line together around him.

The last question is a challenge because to accurately assess his talent level we need to see him on a team that doesn't suck.

He could very well be elite, but time's a wastin' and his "elite" skillz may pass the Sabres by if he stays.

The last question is a challenge because to accurately assess his talent level we need to see him on a team that doesn't suck.

He could very well be elite, but time's a wastin' and his "elite" skillz may pass the Sabres by if he stays.

He may very well go full Hossa. I wouldn't blame him if he did

LOL

He's a gutless Euro wuss who exemplifies everything that's been lousy about this franchise since Black Sunday. Whenever I look at him I think of that stupid hood he wore in the Winter Classic and I get PO'd.

LOL

He's a gutless Euro wuss who exemplifies everything that's been lousy about this franchise since Black Sunday. Whenever I look at him I think of that stupid hood he wore in the Winter Classic and I get PO'd.

I feel as though you are holding back a bit , beerme1..let it out.....lol...

I really didn't expect myself to be arguing for keeping Vanek. I know my position up through the summer was that we should be trading him. But I think now that would be a mistake. Like it or not he's our most talented forward and could really look good if we put a good line together around him.

I think he is going to be key in the development of some of the newer Sabres. He's still young, he's got 5-6 very productive years left, and maybe a few more semi-productive seasons. Now that the 'core' is gone I think Vanek might enjoy the fact that this is now his team.

If i want a shot at keeping him, i give him a 2year deal, by then he isn't to old to go chase a cup elsewhere if we don't make enough progression.

Sell it to him that way 2yrs 7 mill. Don't think he is interested in a long term deal that might get him stuck here forever if things don't pan out.

I'm at 5 years, 6M. He might be a 40 goal scorer again somewhere, but it won't be here.

IMO, this is pretty accurate.

This franchise at this time, Vanek just doesn't have the value. He needs to go to a team that has matured NHL level talent that he can play with. Right now he is a man among boys and would simply be wasting years off of his career if he resigned with the Sabres.

I have a feeling he wants to move on so I think it's a moot point what to give him. You can't buy just someone, especially if he's sick of the Sabres "culture." It's probably time for him to go. He's talented but nowhere near a 100 point man, consistently. So why overpay? Just get what you can for him like Jason Pominville and turn the page.

If i want a shot at keeping him, i give him a 2year deal, by then he isn't to old to go chase a cup elsewhere if we don't make enough progression.

Sell it to him that way 2yrs 7 mill. Don't think he is interested in a long term deal that might get him stuck here forever if things don't pan out.

There is NFW he takes a 2-year deal anywhere, let alone here.

May I be naive? Unless something has gone horribly wrong in his life, he already has all the money he needs for the rest of his life, and then some. He'll take a "hometown discount" to go play in Minny.

Besides he misses his Pomer.

Definitely not a "truly elite" (top 8) player and definitely not a "gutless Euro". Probably top-20, but I could also name 30 players that I'd rather have, because the list would include young players that I'd rather have long-term.

- The cap is $64.3MM this year and anticipated to rise next year. It will probably hit $70MM within 2-3 years. At that point, an $8MM cap hit would be 11.4% of the cap.

The cap may very likely hit $70MM next year. I'd actually bet on it.

May I be naive? Unless something has gone horribly wrong in his life, he already has all the money he needs for the rest of his life, and then some. He'll take a "hometown discount" to go play in Minny.

His name isn't on the Stanley Cup. I think, especially after his time here, that might be about the only motivation he has beyond earning a good paycheck.

When was the last time this happened in the NHL?

Archived