How much would you pay Vanek if you were TP/DR?

nfreeman

44 members have voted

1. 1. What's he worth to ya?

• $6MM x 5 years
    • $7MM x 6 years
    • $8MM x 7 years
    • $8MM x 8 years
    • $9MM x 8 years
    • More than $9MM x 8 years
    • Would rather trade him than re-sign him
  2. 2. Do you think Vanek is willing to re-sign with the Sabres if they start winning and they look like they're on the right track?

• Yes -- he doesn't want to play for a terrible team but if this team looks respectable and the money is right he will re-sign.
    • No -- it's just been lip service and he wants to go to UFA.
  3. 3. Which of the following comes closest to describing your opinion of Vanek?

• He's a truly elite player -- one of the best 7-8 players in the NHL and one of the top 5 Sabres of all time.
    • He's a great player, but probably more like top 20 in the NHL than top 7-8.
    • He's a really good player, but not a franchise player. I could list 30 players in the NHL I'd rather have.
    • He's a gutless Euro wuss who exemplifies everything that's been lousy about this franchise since Black Sunday. Whenever I look at him I think of that stupid hood he wore in the Winter Classic and I get PO'd.

Shane Doan comes close to meeting this...

Good call, although the difference in absolute dollars isn't that high. If rumors are to be believed he took about $9MM less over 4 years to stay in Phoenix. When you factor in the difference in taxes, cost of living, moving expenses, etc., it's probably closer to $7MM. I could see Vanek taking $7MM less to go to a team he preferred for one reason or another -- i.e. $60MM vs $67MM -- but he isn't going to take $20MM less to go to Minny -- especially when Minny just gave Suter and Parise $100MM each.

IMO, this is pretty accurate.

This franchise at this time, Vanek just doesn't have the value. He needs to go to a team that has matured NHL level talent that he can play with. Right now he is a man among boys and would simply be wasting years off of his career if he resigned with the Sabres.

On the money post , Deluca... I would love to see what we have missed over his career here by watching him play with equal or better talent on a really good team with a awesome power play.. Second line Detroit ? With him...they probably upset Chicago last year and he goes on to kill Boston single handed..lol. I wonder what Vanek would look like with more space and time than he gets from opposing teams here

Miller is in the same exact boat..What do you think his numbers would look like behind a Boston,Sharks or St Louis d with some real protection... better or worse?

When was the last time this happened in the NHL?

Alex Edler deal is pretty sweet for Vancouver. Canucks players have openly talked about taking a little less to play there. I'm not sure if it actually works out that way but he was approaching ufa status and at 5 million per for an all star d man entering his prime over 6 years isn't bad,

I want to keep Vanek and would be willing to give him the 8 x 8 deal if that's what it takes to sign him but I'd offer it now and give him till xmas or new years to sign it. After that I'd be working the phones and setting the market for the upcoming trade deadline rather than waiting for other teams to set it.

Alex Edler deal is pretty sweet for Vancouver. Canucks players have openly talked about taking a little less to play there. I'm not sure if it actually works out that way but he was approaching ufa status and at 5 million per for an all star d man entering his prime over 6 years isn't bad,

Also a good call.

Still: it's worth mentioning that both examples cited have related to players staying with their teams.

On the money post , Deluca... I would love to see what we have missed over his career here by watching him play with equal or better talent on a really good team with a awesome power play.. Second line Detroit ? With him...they probably upset Chicago last year and he goes on to kill Boston single handed..lol. I wonder what Vanek would look like with more space and time than he gets from opposing teams here

Miller is in the same exact boat..What do you think his numbers would look like behind a Boston,Sharks or St Louis d with some real protection... better or worse?

Miller's numbers would be better IMO.

Also a good call.

Still: it's worth mentioning that both examples cited have related to players staying with their teams.

I wouldn't consider Doan's and Edler's situations similar. Doan's I would consider closer to Vanek's situation. Edler is getting paid well to stay with a perennial Stanley Cup contender in what is considered the nicest city in North America which, IMO, makes it a bit different.

I feel as though you are holding back a bit , beerme1..let it out.....lol...

Sorry. Should have used quotes. It was the last line in the poll question.

May I be naive? Unless something has gone horribly wrong in his life, he already has all the money he needs for the rest of his life, and then some. He'll take a "hometown discount" to go play in Minny.

the kind of discount Parise and Suter gave them? They cant afford anymore hometown discounts.

8 is his cap hit. His salary would likely be less as the contract goes on, making him tradeable if we decide we don't want him for the full 8 years. I expect Vanek would be a viable top six player for most of that contract barring some major injury or drop off.

The lowest his salary could possibly be is $5.2 mill. Not terrible, but the eight mill cap hit will kill most teams anyways. 8x8 is an absolutely terrible deal.

The lowest his salary could possibly be is $5.2 mill. Not terrible, but the eight mill cap hit will kill most teams anyways. 8x8 is an absolutely terrible deal.

You're forgetting how much the cap is expected to climb. 8 mil will feel like nothing in a few years.

You're forgetting how much the cap is expected to climb. 8 mil will feel like nothing in a few years.

I agree and stand by my previous comments that some dumb gm wii up it to 9 mil. Get Slats or Homey on the phone.

I agree and stand by my previous comments that some dumb gm wii up it to 9 mil. Get Slats or Homey on the phone.

I'm not sure about $9MM, but I can definitely see someone giving him $8.5MM x 7 years -- and in fact I think this is about where he will end up.

#1 - Vanek is GONE !! there is no way he will sign with the sabres.

#2- good riddance, while there is no denying he is a top scorer/finisher, THIS IS A TWO WAY GAME and he plays one way. you can't win with this type of player.

ESPN ranks Vanek the 31st best "forward"

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/page/2013_nhlrank_forwards/forwards

Don't you think Kessel money is pretty much the ballpark?

Yes, but Kessel got an 8-year deal, which Vanek probably won't get because only the Sabres (or whoever gets Vanek at the deadline) can offer him an 8-year deal. I can also see the free agent frenzy and the anticipated increase in the cap bumping Vanek up a bit higher than Kessel.

After a lot (see: too much) thought, I'd give the $8x8. I don't like giving forwards over 30 big money long term deals, and I sure as hell don't like it when you're starting a lengthy rebuild. Wait, what? Then why would I pay Vanek? First, unless you can get a few generational talents, I don't think a rebuild completely devoid of veteran talent works too well. Secondly, we have nothing to replace Vanek in the pipeline. The only possible top liners we have are Grigs and Armia, both of whom have a fair amount of risk. Nobody else projects above the second line.

Taken together, not only might we have holes on the first line, we may have holes on the second line too. Even when Vanek declined he'll likely produce enough for second line duty, so he fills a need either way.

Which brings me to the dollars, which may very well matter. Sure the cap us going to go up, but if enough of our prospects hit, then their salary inflation coming off of ELCs or bridge deals will almost certainly out-pace cap growth. Deal with it. Every team has some player who is overpaid and a little bit of a financial burden, and I'd be fine with Vanek being ours.

FWIW, if we had drafted a couple of prime forwards instead of Dmen, I'd be much more inclined to trade Vanek. But as the current system stands, I think it would leave too big of a hole in the organization.

Archived