Your Ideal Roster - Cap Compliant $64.3 million

Unquestionably strong up the middle, the strongest proposed by far. Nice defense, good goaltending, and maybe the best third line put together. A team I'd expect to still be around come conference finals time.

Again I doubt they score enough.

That's the ultimate in depth. If you have enough talent to play Datsyuk on a third line you are strong up the middle. And it keeps a 35 year old center fresh come playoff time.

But there is 0 depth at wing. Absolutely none.

Gerbe? Is there another one in the league I am not aware of?

Fourth line and very cheap. When you are spending $21 mil on centers you have make sacrifices elsewhere. I would rather see it done on the fourth line than cutting corners on the blueline.

That's the ultimate in depth. If you have enough talent to play Datsyuk on a third line you are strong up the middle. And it keeps a 35 year old center fresh come playoff time.

Playing Datsyuk in a defensive role doesn't do anything to keep him fresh. Even if that line can score it's a waste to have him there. Until he starts showing his age he is undoubtedly on your first line. The guy is magic.

Fourth line and very cheap. When you are spending $21 mil on centers you have make sacrifices elsewhere. I would rather see it done on the fourth line than cutting corners on the blueline.

There are legitimate NHL players you could put on the fourth line for that money. Gerbe there is a joke.

If your goal is to draft #1 overall. Norris winner, a Lindstrom understudy, one of the best young defensemen in hockey, a hammer, and two playoff proven Stanley Cup winning veterans. There is no weakness there.

There is no weakness on my roster. Scoring, toughness, defense and goaltending. It's all covered.

Schenn has already been dealt once by a GM you would die for and has been such a disappointment in Philly that they continue to search for a top 4 guy with him being one of the pieces they would like to move. Orpik is on the downside of a pretty solid career, Hamilton had a so so rookie season and sat quite a bit toward the end so the jury is still out. Scuderi is a solid number 4, Kronwell has the ability but has yet to show consistency to be a top end guy. Sub an obviously has the ability but is a lockerroom cancer and melted down again in the playoffs and I think the last guy was Seidenberg who I like but may be a product of the system

Landeskog 3.6/Tavares 5.5/Callahan 4.3

Drouin 3.22/Giroux 3.75/Williams 3.6

Wilson 1.3/Bergeron 5/Ott 2.95

Lapierre 1.1/McClement 1.5/Miller 1.35

Keith 5.6/Subban 2.875

Seidenberg 3.25/Brodin 1.5

Boychuk 3.4/Alzner 2.8

Pysyk 1

Quick 5.8

Khudobin .8

Total cost 64.2

Playing Datsyuk in a defensive role doesn't do anything to keep him fresh

The third line plays against the third line on most teams. My intent was to create a situation like the 2006 Sabres where the other team couldn't defend Vanek. Here we get to send out Datsyuk while Ghost's team defends with Weber, this is the mismatch I am looking for

The third line plays against the third line on most teams. My intent was to create a situation like the 2006 Sabres where the other team couldn't defend Vanek. Here we get to send out Datsyuk while Ghost's team defends with Weber, this is the mismatch I am looking for

The third line usually plays against the first line.

Playing Datsyuk in a defensive role doesn't do anything to keep him fresh. Even if that line can score it's a waste to have him there. Until he starts showing his age he is undoubtedly on your first line. The guy is magic.

There are legitimate NHL players you could put on the fourth line for that money. Gerbe there is a joke.

I don't see the third line a a traditional 3rd line. You have Datsyuk and a Couture who is one of the best young snipers in the league and a good young winger in Hagelin. Looking at the lines a little closer, his third line is likely to be the most offensively prolific.

Gerbe? You're talking fourth line minutes. Who would you replace him with? Keeping in mind the salary of 550K and the remaining $1.235 in cap space.

I'd put any of my defense pairs and 3rd line out against Datsuk, Hagelin and Couture. I agree with Deluca that your 3rd line could potentially be your #1. Now Zemgus def has some growing to do in that case but I think the physicality of that line with the talent would make it difficult for Datsuk to do his thing. The thing I like about my roster is that I could easily swap Backes down a line and put Clutterbuck in his 2nd line spot for a game. It isn't ideal but my 2nd line has enough talent that I think Clutterbuck would still work with E.Kane - Hodgson - Clutterbuck

Everybody at 21 players? Most teams carry 23 during the season. Most of these are over the cap.

I am at 21 and I will add Pat Kaleta as my extra skater at 1.25 that brings my total to 62.903

leaves 1.397 for moves. To fill the remaining option I will add... Johan Larsson to my team for .87 leaving 0.527 in capspace.

I don't see the third line a a traditional 3rd line. You have Datsyuk and a Couture who is one of the best young snipers in the league and a good young winger in Hagelin. Looking at the lines a little closer, his third line is likely to be the most offensively prolific.

Gerbe? You're talking fourth line minutes. Who would you replace him with? Keeping in mind the salary of 550K and the remaining $1.235 in cap space.

$1.235 cap space could get you any of the following off the free agent list right now:

Jody Shelley

Brad Boyes

Anthony Stewart

Andreas Nodl

I'd also eliminate Kassian's salary and potentially Stepan. Or move Stepan up a line and Datsyuk to the second line.

Schenn has already been dealt once by a GM you would die for and has been such a disappointment in Philly that they continue to search for a top 4 guy with him being one of the pieces they would like to move. Orpik is on the downside of a pretty solid career, Hamilton had a so so rookie season and sat quite a bit toward the end so the jury is still out. Scuderi is a solid number 4, Kronwell has the ability but has yet to show consistency to be a top end guy. Sub an obviously has the ability but is a lockerroom cancer and melted down again in the playoffs and I think the last guy was Seidenberg who I like but may be a product of the system

I have a Captain of a Cup winning team and a total of 7 guys that have rings, no concerns about any player rocking the boat. I have leadership on all levels. We get that you don't like Schenn, the guy is a Hammer and has a place on my championship roster. Orpik and Scuderi bring 100% leadership, grit and rings. Hamilton is a big kid and I want him around guys like Schenn and Orpik to avoid hi turning into another Tyler Myers. Kronwell is solid defensively and can get you 30+ points from the back end. Kronwell and Subban give me a great top paring especially on the PP where I'll have a left handed shot and right handed shot.

$1.235 cap space could get you any of the following off the free agent list right now:

Jody Shelley

Brad Boyes

Anthony Stewart

Andreas Nodl

I'd also eliminate Kassian's salary and potentially Stepan. Or move Stepan up a line and Datsyuk to the second line.

Not sure if any of the four guys you mentioned are enough of a value where being pinned against the cap ceiling would be worth it.

He has three strong centers, if you move Datsyuk up you have to drop Bergeron down to the third line.

Wasn't sure of we are doing 23 or 20 man rosters, but here is mine. Little concerned about team speed but being close to the cap is not a concern.Good teams know how to maneuver when they have to.

1 C1 Jonathan Toews $6.300

2 C2 Patrice Bergeron $5.000

3 C3 Sean Couturier $1.375

4 C4 marcus krueger $1.325

5 L1 Johann Franzen $3.950

6 L2 Logan Couture $2.875

7 L3 Janik Hansen $1.350

8 L4 marcus foligno $0.900

9 R1 Claude Giroux $3.750

10 R2 Dustin Brown $3.175

11 R3 Cal Clutterbuck $2.750

12 R4 matt martin $1.000

13 X Vladimir Tarasenko $1.750

14 X2 Girgensons $1.369

15 D1 Brent Seabrook $5.800

16 D2 Ehroff $4.000

17 D3 Duncan Keith $5.530

18 D4 Karl Alzner $2.800

19 D5 Jonas Brodin $1.440

20 D6 Dougie Hamilton $1.490

21 D7 Pysyk $0.870

22 G1 Corey Crawford $2.670

23 G2 Jonas Enroth $1.250

Cap hit $ 62.719

Is there an easy way to make teams on NHL13? I would like to try some of these out?

Create a team and then cherry pick your roster. Designing a good jersey is the hardest part, as the logos suck.

I formed my team honest to my views. Hartnell is an awful contract signed right before the new CBA and he was disgusting offensively last year. Kesler is an injury trainwreck. There are plenty of other good players out there that people mentioned and at better contracts, but I wanted to be honest with myself with guys I have touted over the years and who were recently signed.

I actually like LGRs team, as he has 5 guys who didn't make the cut for me but really wanted. Guys like Keith, Pietrangelo, Evander Kane....to me Karlsson was the only must have.

And in reality my team is short on pure offense, but these guys can all play. It's about winning 16 games in late spring. They will get to the dance, and scare the crap out of everyone once the games are for real.

I don't mind people ripping other's teams....but let's see who YOU value!

I formed my team honest to my views. Hartnell is an awful contract signed right before the new CBA and he was disgusting offensively last year. Kesler is an injury trainwreck. There are plenty of other good players out there that people mentioned and at better contracts, but I wanted to be honest with myself with guys I have touted over the years and who were recently signed.

I actually like LGRs team, as he has 5 guys who didn't make the cut for me but really wanted. Guys like Keith, Pietrangelo, Evander Kane....to me Karlsson was the only must have.

And in reality my team is short on pure offense, but these guys can all play. It's about winning 16 games in late spring. They will get to the dance, and scare the crap out of everyone once the games are for real.

I might have been ovey critical of your team but I do acknowledge they would be tough against. Over a 7 game series,however, unless your goalie stands on his head there is just not enough goals to stay with my team.

I do want to say that I enjoyed this excercise and for me it reinforced the notion that there is just not a huge difference between teams.

I might have been ovey critical of your team but I do acknowledge they would be tough against. Over a 7 game series,however, unless your goalie stands on his head there is just not enough goals to stay with my team.

I do want to say that I enjoyed this excercise and for me it reinforced the notion that there is just not a huge difference between teams.

It is fun. That's why I started the thread. I was thinking about it a bit and they shut DeLuca down. It's easy for people to root for the Sabres and scoff at detractors...so...let's see their teams!

The Olympics firmly entrenched my view that a big, hard nosed team that has some offense, a bit of skating, and a good goalie, can win a tourney style process. Canada had a bunch of "superstars", and the US had a lot of "muckers". Winnipeg probably has the most similar build, and Phoenix when they went to the conference finals last year. I agree though that you need balance in real life. Boston and Chicago were pretty darn balanced.

The first thing I did was take every player you picked off the board. This roster I picked is a little closer to the cap (61.646) than I would like.

C: Brown 3.175/ Huberdeau 3.194/Couturier 1.75/ Brian Boyle 1.7

LW: James Neal 5.0/Lucic 6.0/ Matt Martin 1.0/ Rich Clune .537

RW: Giroux 3.75/ Ryan 5.1/Chris Neal1.9/ Ryan Reaves .600

D1: Kronwell 4.75/ Luke Schenn 3.6/ Orpik 3.75

D2: P.K Subban 2.875/ Hamilton 1.494/ Scuderi 3.375

G: Quick 5.8/Crawford 2.67

I have achieved real balance. I have a ton of high level skill and more than enough grit and toughness to make apposing teams uncomfortable. I have some of the better young players in the game and more than enough veterans including some with Cup rings. I have at least 5-6 strong candidates for captain.

Was that so tough?

Karlsson almost made my team actually. Wanted someone a bit bigger though

Archived