Your Ideal Roster - Cap Compliant $64.3 million

Ok....everyone gets a shot. Who do you put on your team? Do whatever you want...if you want to stack RFA guys who may producer for cheaper....fine. It's more about seeing who everyone wants on their team that would be a Cup winner. I am mad the other thread got closed because I actually thought about this early in the day.

Here we go....I tried staying true to spirit and taking guys who have been signed recently and who aren't obvious for pay raises.

C: Kesler 5.0/ Backes 4.5/ Hanzal 3.1/ Talbot 1.7

LW: Landeskog 3.6/ Kunitz 3.7/ Pyatt 1.5/ Moen 1.8

RW: Callahan 4.5/ Hartnell 4.7/ Kassian 0.9/ Condra 0.8

D1: Karlsson 6.5/ DelZotto 2.5/ Girardi 3.3

D2: Seidenberg 3.3/ McQuaid 1.5/ Weber 1.6/ Stralman 1.7

G: Price 6.5/ Biron 1.3

There are plenty of bargains out there, but I'm not going to cherry-pick all 22 year olds on an entry deal. These are all guys I respect and would have the Sabres trade for in a heartbeat.

Most of the bottom 2 lines were available in free agency the past 2 years. This team is going to kill you for 60 minutes. They may not put up 5 goals a game, but they won't let in 3 either. The whole team can play defense and penalty kill. 90% will hit you, many frustrate you. There are 2 viable PP units with Karlsson maybe being the most dynamic player in the game. They will not wear down over the course of a season and playoffs. There are almost no pure playmakers, but this is the model of the 2010 US Olympic team that was one walleye away from winning the gold.

I tried to create my ideal but realistic roster, which fitted under this years salary cap:

Eriksson (4.25) - Toews (6.3) - Hodgson (3.3?)

Dubinsky (4.2) - O'Reilly(5) - Brown (3.175)

Burmistrov (2?) - Helm (2.215) - Ott (2.95)

Paille (1.3) - McClement (1.5) - Kaleta (1.25)

Konopka (0.925)

Ehrhoff (4) - Pietrangelo (5.5)

McDonagh (4.7) - Myers (5.5)

Weber (1.6) - Pysyk (0.87)

Bernier (2.9)

Khudobin (0.8)

I'm least happy about goaltending, I would solve that when the cap goes up next year. Drain's team focused on physical defensive play, my team focuses on solid two way play

Here we go....I tried staying true to spirit and taking guys who have been signed recently and who aren't obvious for pay raises.

There are plenty of bargains out there, but I'm not going to cherry-pick all 22 year olds on an entry deal. These are all guys I respect and would have the Sabres trade for in a heartbeat.

Most of the bottom 2 lines were available in free agency the past 2 years. This team is going to kill you for 60 minutes. They may not put up 5 goals a game, but they won't let in 3 either. The whole team can play defense and penalty kill. 90% will hit you, many frustrate you. There are 2 viable PP units with Karlsson maybe being the most dynamic player in the game. They will not wear down over the course of a season and playoffs. There are almost no pure playmakers, but this is the model of the 2010 US Olympic team that was one walleye away from winning the gold.

I thought the idea was to win the Cup. Save for a couple of exceptions, no team has ever won the Cup with so little offense. You don't have one player that is a sure fire top 2 or 3 forward although I think Landeskog has the potential. Your top center has been a medical wreck and your goalie makes Miller look like ice in the mental toughness department.

I tried to create my ideal but realistic roster, which fitted under this years salary cap:

Eriksson (4.25) - Toews (6.3) - Hodgson (3.3?) I

Dubinsky (4.2) - O'Reilly(5) - Brown (3.175)

Burmistrov (2?) - Helm (2.215) - Ott (2.95)

Paille (1.3) - McClement (1.5) - Kaleta (1.25)

Konopka (0.925)

Ehrhoff (4) - Pietrangelo (5.5)

McDonagh (4.7) - Myers (5.5)

Weber (1.6) - Pysyk (0.87)

Bernier (2.9)

Khudobin (0.8)

I'm least happy about goaltending, I would solve that when the cap goes up next year. Drain's team focused on physical defensive play, my team focuses on solid two way play

Of all the players in the league you pick 1/3 of them with current Sabres? 4 of 6 defenseman? No cup for you. Hopefully you are thicker skinned than some of the people on here but I don't think your roster makes the playoffs.

You could have a strong top 2 lines but 3 and 4 lines could be better. Defense and goaltending would be your problems.

My team is forth coming and involves names such as Toews, Neal, and even Tyler Myers... probably be up sometime around 10:30.

Of all the players in the league you pick 1/3 of them with current Sabres? 4 of 6 defenseman? No cup for you. Hopefully you are thicker skinned than some of the people on here but I don't think your roster makes the playoffs.

You could have a strong top 2 lines but 3 and 4 lines could be better. Defense and goaltending would be your problems.

Interesting... so what are you thinking of then? as far as a roster goes.

The first thing I did was take every player you picked off the board. This roster I picked is a little closer to the cap (61.646) than I would like.

C: Brown 3.175/ Huberdeau 3.194/Couturier 1.75/ Brian Boyle 1.7

LW: James Neal 5.0/Lucic 6.0/ Matt Martin 1.0/ Rich Clune .537

RW: Giroux 3.75/ Ryan 5.1/Chris Neal1.9/ Ryan Reaves .600

D1: Kronwell 4.75/ Luke Schenn 3.6/ Orpik 3.75

D2: P.K Subban 2.875/ Hamilton 1.494/ Scuderi 3.375

G: Quick 5.8/Crawford 2.67

I have achieved real balance. I have a ton of high level skill and more than enough grit and toughness to make apposing teams uncomfortable. I have some of the better young players in the game and more than enough veterans including some with Cup rings. I have at least 5-6 strong candidates for captain.

Helm is the best third line centre in the league when healthy. Burmistrov is really really good defensively, especially given his age and I like Ott as giving that line another dynamic. The fourth line works because Kaleta draws twice as many penalties as he takes, Paille is clutch for a fourth liner and Mcclement is the reason the leads penalty kill improved. My team would have the best penalty kill in the league - Kaleta, Ott, Helm, Ericksson, Toews, Mcclement are not just ok on the pk, they dominate. Pretty much everyone in my team could play the pk though

My defence was an interesting choice, Ehrhoff could have been a Norris candidate IMO. Myers will be fantastic in 2-3 years - I'm expecting a big big improvement this year. Pysyk does the little things really well that go unnoticed and Weber played fantastically. 2/4 sabre d men on my team are bottom pairing. I also think that the forwards were more at fault for our complete inability to exit the zone.

Helm is the best third line centre in the league when healthy. Burmistrov is really really good defensively, especially given his age and I like Ott oas giving that line another dynamic. The fourth line works because Kaleta draws twice as many penalties as he takes, Paille is clutch for a fourth liner and Mcclement is the reason the leads penalty kill improved. My team would have the best penalty kill in the league - Kaleta, Ott, Helm, Ericksson, Toews, Mcclement are not just ok on the pk, they dominate. Pretty much everyone in my team could play the pk though

My defence was an interesting choice, Ehrhoff could have been a Norris candidate IMO. Myers will be fantastic in 2-3 years - I'm expecting a big big improvement this year. Pysyk does the little things really well that go unnoticed and Weber played fantastically. 2/4 sabre d men on my team are bottom pairing. I also think that the forwards were more at fault for our complete inability to exit the zone.

I like the forwards. Again, with the entire league to pick from I don't think 4 Sabres are worthy. Mix your defense around a little and get a proven goalie and your on to something. Bernier is not bad but I would feel better with a playoff tested guy.

I am trying to put one together. It's not as easy as it seems. I keep running out of cap space.

I like the forwards. Again, with the entire league to pick from I don't think 4 Sabres are worthy. Mix your defense around a little and get a proven goalie and your on to something. Bernier is not bad but I would feel better with a playoff tested guy.

I am trying to put one together. It's not as easy as it seems. I keep running out of cap space.

Yeah I'm not that happy with goal, but I had no cap room. Harder than it seems! I thought Bernier would give me the best bang for my buck. Plus, again, I tried to create a roster I thought would be attainable and he was traded for spare parts basically

The only Sabre I considered was Ott, if I had to make one change it would be to fit Ott in somewhere. I gave a great deal of consideration of taking Ott as my third line center. I like Couturier and Boyle a lot, it was between those three.

The first thing I did was take every player you picked off the board. This roster I picked is a little closer to the cap (61.646) than I would like.

C: Brown 3.175/ Huberdeau 3.194/Couturier 1.75/ Brian Boyle 1.7

LW: James Neal 5.0/Lucic 6.0/ Matt Martin 1.0/ Rich Clune .537

RW: Giroux 3.75/ Ryan 5.1/Chris Neal1.9/ Ryan Reaves .600

D1: Kronwell 4.75/ Luke Schenn 3.6/ Orpik 3.75

D2: P.K Subban 2.875/ Hamilton 1.494/ Scuderi 3.375

G: Quick 5.8/Crawford 2.67

I have achieved real balance. I have a ton of high level skill and more than enough grit and toughness to make apposing teams uncomfortable. I have some of the better young players in the game and more than enough veterans including some with Cup rings. I have at least 5-6 strong candidates for captain.

Interesting that you had Brown and Giroux switch positions and have at least 6 players whose own fan base questions their work ethic.

And how anyone could put together a team without Toews, Bergeron, Taveres and/or Crosby is beyond my comprehension.

And that defense, well at least you are consistent in your love for Schenn, no matter how mis-guided. The rest leaves me wishing I could play against it 82 games per year.

Forwards

Line 1: Gabriel Landeskog (3.575) - Jonathan Toews (6.3) - James Neal (5)

Line 2: Evander Kane (5.25) - Cody Hodgson (3.45) - David Backes (4.5)

Line 3: Marcus Foligno (0.9) - Zemgus Girgensons (1.369) - Cal Clutterbuck (2.75)

Line 4: John Scott (0.75) - Jay McClement (1.5) - Brian Flynn (0.637)

Extra: Kaleta (1.25), Larsson (.87)

Defense

Pair 1: Duncan Keith (5.538) - Torey Krug (1.704)

Pair 2: Mike Weber (1.66) - Tyler Myers (5.5)

Pair 3: Mark Pysyk (0.87) - Alex Pietrangelo (5)

#7 - Jake McCabe (1.25)

Goalies:

Starter: Jonathan Bernier (2.9)

Backup: Jhonas Enroth (1.25)

Total: 61.653 63.773, Caproom: 2.647 0.527

Interesting that you had Brown and Giroux switch positions and have at least 6 players whose own fan base questions their work ethic.

And how anyone could put together a team without Toews, Bergeron, Taveres and/or Crosby is beyond my comprehension.

And that defense, well at least you are consistent in your love for Schenn, no matter how mis-guided. The rest leaves me wishing I could play against it 82 games per year.

If your goal is to draft #1 overall. Norris winner, a Lindstrom understudy, one of the best young defensemen in hockey, a hammer, and two playoff proven Stanley Cup winning veterans. There is no weakness there.

There is no weakness on my roster. Scoring, toughness, defense and goaltending. It's all covered.

If your goal is to draft #1 overall. Norris winner, a Lindstrom understudy, one of the best young defensemen in hockey, a hammer, and two playoff proven Stanley Cup winning veterans. There is no weakness there.

There is no weakness on my roster. Scoring, toughness, defense and goaltending. It's all covered.

Actually I agree your defense is fairly solid however your offense is mainly grit and I think it may have issues scoring. I'd flip Giroux and Brown (Dustin?) giving you a solid top line. Your second line however is completely predicated on Hurberdeu improving and Bobby Ryan continuing his scoring ability without Perry or Getzlaf. I am not sure if it would work or not. After that your scoring dies. Which is the big flaw. 3rd/4th line scoring is non existent.

Your goaltending and your defense might be solid enough to get you far but I think scoring issues will crop up. That is just my opinion.

Actually I agree your defense is fairly solid however your offense is mainly grit and I think it may have issues scoring. I'd flip Giroux and Brown (Dustin?) giving you a solid top line. Your second line however is completely predicated on Hurberdeu improving and Bobby Ryan continuing his scoring ability without Perry or Getzlaf. I am not sure if it would work or not. After that your scoring dies. Which is the big flaw. 3rd/4th line scoring is non existent.

Your goaltending and your defense might be solid enough to get you far but I think scoring issues will crop up. That is just my opinion.

That's by design. I have limited dollars and I focused on spending where it counts. My fourth line is designed to be a traditional fourth line, maybe 10 minutes a game if that. I love my third line, it would be one of the most physically demanding lines in the NHL to play against.

My top six includes a 40 goal scorer, a four time 30+ goal scorer, two big body hammers that can score 25-30 goals each, a potential 80-90 point player in Giroux and a 20 year old with great talent that will be skating with linemates that will create a lot of run for him.

Any scoring my bottom six provides will be considered bonus.

Toews (6.3) - Bertuzzi (2.075) - Justin Williams (3.65)

Bergeron(5) - Marchand(4.5) - Kassian(0.87)

Datszuk (6.7) - Hagelin (2.25) - Couture (2.875)

Stepan(3 ?) - Gerbe (.55) - Kaleta (1.25)

Hjamlarsson (3.5) - Michalak (4)

Girardi(3.325) - MacDonagh (4.7)

Justin Faulk (Carolina) (0.9) - Sekara (2.75)

Schneider (4)

Lehner (.87)

Total -- 63.065

Ceiling -- 64.3

Schneider (4)

Lehner (.87)

Total -- 63.065

Ceiling -- 64.3

Unquestionably strong up the middle, the strongest proposed by far. Nice defense, good goaltending, and maybe the best third line put together. A team I'd expect to still be around come conference finals time.

Unquestionably strong up the middle, the strongest proposed by far. Nice defense, good goaltending, and maybe the best third line put together. A team I'd expect to still be around come conference finals time.

You like a roster with Datsyuk on the third friggen line?

Schneider (4)

Lehner (.87)

Total -- 63.065

Ceiling -- 64.3

Gerbe? Is there another one in the league I am not aware of?

Archived