Your Ideal Roster - Cap Compliant $64.3 million

Instead of playing GM i am gonna play owner and give my marching orders for my team. Here they are in order.

Skating - dont have to be blazing fast but i want no turtles or weak ankle types

Aggressive forwards - i want opponents D to have nightmares of my teams jersey barreling in on the forecheck

Smart defensemen - i want opponents forwards frustrated that they cant press our D

Instead of playing GM i am gonna play owner and give my marching orders for my team. Here they are in order.

Skating - dont have to be blazing fast but i want no turtles or weak ankle types

Aggressive forwards - i want opponents D to have nightmares of my teams jersey barreling in on the forecheck

Smart defensemen - i want opponents forwards frustrated that they cant press our D

You can buy my team for $250 million.....

I don't see the point. Are you suggesting you think some owners tell their GMs to get poor skaters and stupid defensemen?

Just something quick I put together. Sorry if any salaries are off...

C Malkin 7.5

C Datsyuk 6.7

C Ott 3.2

C Halpern 0.8

RW Byfuglien 4.2

RW Callahan 4.0

RW Chris Neil 2.0

RW Torres 1.8

LW Lucic 4.2

LW Vanek 6.4

LW Paille 1.3

LW Dwight King 0.6

D Ehrhoff 4.0

D Beauchemin 3.6

D Voynov 2.7

D Oduya 4.0

D McDonagh 0.9

D Weber 1.0

G Crawford 3.2

G Enroth 0.8

Total = 62.9 / 64.3

I like this thread idea because it allows me to learn more about the game. Values, salaries, players, etc.

I just threw something together with my rudimentary knowledge. Don't know enough about particular "fits" and "styles" or all that but here's what I came up with:

LW - Jeff Skinner (4.3m)

C - Pavel Datsyuk (6.7m)

RW - James Neal (5.0m)

LW - Gabriel Landeskog (3.6m)

C - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (3.8m)

RW - Ryan Callahan (4.3m)

LW - Marcus Foligno (900k)

C - Logan Couture (3.2m)

RW - Dustin Brown (3.2m)

LW - Carl Hagelin (2.3m)

C - Steve Ott (3m)

RW - Justin Abdeklader (1.8m)

Extra O - Brandon Saad (900k)

D - Christian Ehrhoff (4m)/Slava Voynov (2.8m)

D - Kevin Shattenkirk (3.3m)/Dan Girardi (3.3m)

D - Adam Larsson (925k)/Aaron Rome (1.5m)

Extra D - Brian Strait (800k)

G - Corey Crawford (2.7m)

G - Braden Holtby (1.9m)

That came out to 64.2, if my math is correct.

I look forward to hearing all your comments.

I still think all of these piece meal rosters would get pwned by my Pitt-F, Bos-D, LA-G combo. Blue, can you have an undergrad run the team corsi on all our rosters? Or at least can you put together the best advanced statistical team that fits under the cap?

Was that so tough?

This doesn't answer your question. This is nothing more than an exercise in league awareness and the ability to add. This roster only exemplifies the qualities in players that I value. This is not the team I have suggested the Sabres put together over the years. You'll have to comb through all my posts if you want the actual answer. A little research on your part may provide some surprising results for you.

I still think all of these piece meal rosters would get pwned by my Pitt-F, Bos-D, LA-G combo. Blue, can you have an undergrad run the team corsi on all our rosters? Or at least can you put together the best advanced statistical team that fits under the cap?

I wish I had an undergrad slave! Errrrr, I mean, research assistant! I'm actually going to he putting together a team based on advanced stats (whether it's the best or not who knows, because I want to go with Drane's approach and not have a bunch of guys about to get a massive raise), just haven't had time yet. Hopefully within the next day or two.

I wish I had an undergrad slave! Errrrr, I mean, research assistant! I'm actually going to he putting together a team based on advanced stats (whether it's the best or not who knows, because I want to go with Drane's approach and not have a bunch of guys about to get a massive raise), just haven't had time yet. Hopefully within the next day or two.

That was one of the reasons I did my team the way I did with younger guys here and there.

AA pays McDonagh .9, the Rangers pay him 4.7

He pays Weber 1, the Sabres pay him 1.5

I think he's looking at last years salaries

Probably. He admitted as much that he might have the numbers wrong. I think there is some tinkering to be done but I like his start.

AA pays McDonagh .9, the Rangers pay him 4.7

He pays Weber 1, the Sabres pay him 1.5

I think he's looking at last years salaries

Not sure what numbers he is using. Lucic is a $6 mil cap hit and Vanek is a $7.14 mil cap hit and Byfuglien is at $5.2.

Probably. He admitted as much that he might have the numbers wrong. I think there is some tinkering to be done but I like his start.

Tinkering? At a quick first glance iy looks as if he needs to cut about $7 mil off the roster.

Not sure what numbers he is using. Lucic is a $6 mil cap hit and Vanek is a $7.14 mil cap hit and Byfuglien is at $5.2.

Tinkering? At a quick first glance iy looks as if he needs to cut about $7 mil off the roster.

Malkin and Datsyuk is a pretty ambitious Center corps. One could probably be removed, say Malkin, and the lines shifted up. Or if you wanted to keep Ott on the third line you could slot someone like Hodgson at the number two spot. Torres is probably also an overpayment on the fourth line. Someone like Jordan Nolan might be a better salary there.

Regarding Corsi. Looking at behindthenet.ca's corsi page, it looks like you would have LA's Kopitar's line and Boston's Bergeron's line. Since they are generally well paid, I don't think you could fit the Sedin's into the third line. You'd have to find the 3 players making about 2m for the third line and 3 players making 1m for the fourth line.

It's the defense that seems weird to me. Muzzin and Alec Martinez from LA? Tallinder and Peter Harold from NJ? Rozival and Wiercioch?

Regarding Corsi. Looking at behindthenet.ca's corsi page, it looks like you would have LA's Kopitar's line and Boston's Bergeron's line. Since they are generally well paid, I don't think you could fit the Sedin's into the third line. You'd have to find the 3 players making about 2m for the third line and 3 players making 1m for the fourth line.

It's the defense that seems weird to me. Muzzin and Alec Martinez from LA? Tallinder and Peter Harold from NJ? Rozival and Wiercioch?

With the Dmen there, you really have to keep in mind competition and zone starts.

I don't see the point. Are you suggesting you think some owners tell their GMs to get poor skaters and stupid defensemen?

i am saying owners/teams have different things they target players for overall. Bruins and flyers target big bruising players. Oilers, bhawks, pens typically good skaters. Even the sabres over the years seem to target skating.

I am saying my vision for my cup winning team puts priority on skating ability, aggressive forwards, and high hockey iq defense. I dont want a anderchuck or a hal gill on my team

Just something quick I put together. Sorry if any salaries are off...

C Malkin 7.5 8.7

C Datsyuk 6.7

C Ott 3.2 2.95

C Halpern 0.8?

RW Byfuglien 4.2 5.2

RW Callahan 4.0 4.275

RW Chris Neil 2.0 1.9

RW Torres 1.8 2.0

LW Lucic 4.2 6.0

LW Vanek 6.4 7.143

LW Paille 1.3

LW Dwight King 0.6 0.75

D Ehrhoff 4.0

D Beauchemin 3.6 3.5

D Voynov 2.7 4.166

D Oduya 4.0 3.383

D McDonagh 0.9 4.7

D Weber 1.0 1.667

G Crawford 3.2 2.66

G Enroth 0.8 1.25

Total = 62.9 / 64.3 73.044 / 64.3

Your salaries are off by 10.144million and it puts you 8.744 over the salary cap.

Your salaries are off by 10.144million and it puts you 8.744 over the salary cap.

That's the fun part about looking at this. Going in, I figured no way my team doesn't have Lucic or Duncan Keith on it. Then I asked myself....would I take Landeskog, Kunitz, Girardi and Del Zotto for those two.....gets you thinking. Or in Darcy's case, Connolly, Roy, Tallinder and Sekera (sorry...had to!)

That's the fun part about looking at this. Going in, I figured no way my team doesn't have Lucic or Duncan Keith on it. Then I asked myself....would I take Landeskog, Kunitz, Girardi and Del Zotto for those two.....gets you thinking. Or in Darcy's case, Connolly, Roy, Tallinder and Sekera (sorry...had to!)

If you're looking for a guy to play defensively, I take Sekera all day over Del Zotto.

If you're looking for a guy to play defensively, I take Sekera all day over Del Zotto.

The older, less offensively prolific with 25% of the playoff experience of Del Zotto is the better choice. :doh:

He loses a first round pick.

The older, less offensively prolific with 25% of the playoff experience of Del Zotto is the better choice. :doh:

Yes, playoff experience is a great way to measure the value of a #4 Dman :rolleyes:

Edit: Not to mention, I clearly said "if you're looking for a guy to play defensively" which kinda sorta nullifies your point about offense.

Yes, playoff experience is a great way to measure the value of a #4 Dman :rolleyes:

Edit: Not to mention, I clearly said "if you're looking for a guy to play defensively" which kinda sorta nullifies your point about offense.

When the goal is to win a Stanley Cup you need guys who have gone through battles.

When evaluating players the better all-around player is always the better choice. Especially when that all-around better player just turned 23.

When the goal is to win a Stanley Cup you need guys who have gone through battles.

When evaluating players the better all-around player is always the better choice. Especially when that all-around better player just turned 23.

But Del Zotto isn't a better all around player. He's better offensively, but significantly worse defensively.

Archived