Draft Day 2013

spndnchz

I don't give a s##t about selling tickets, I want to win a Stanley Cup! Nich was a high risk/high reward and the Sabres scouts (whom doubled their scouting department recently) felt Risto was the better pick. Fine by me.

Agreed...the idea is to win a Cup. So how exactly do you plan on doing that without scoring? Everyone is down on Regier because this organization hasn't produced. As one of Regier's proponents, I have often touted his trading ability and his acquisition of Grigs and Girgs in last year's draft.

But this year's draft was a downer. Sorry, but we have more potential NHL defensemen in the queue than we do forwards. And there were good forwards to be had with their two picks. I do not see why we didn't take them instead of what scouting said were the BPA.

I was hoping for an impact offensive player to be drafted today. It seems the Sabres took the best available player with each of their first round picks that probably are at least a year away. The Amerks probably just got better on defense next year, but I'm not sure the Sabres did for the foreseeable future. Hopefully free agency will be better.

#1 draft pick next yeah ?

I don't give a s##t about selling tickets, I want to win a Stanley Cup! Nich was a high risk/high reward and the Sabres scouts (whom doubled their scouting department recently) felt Risto was the better pick. Fine by me.

Sabres did the risk/reward thing last year with Grigorenko. Love these picks and when these guys start laying the other team out, the fans will get excited.

When Armia, Grigorenko and Girgensons mature, Sabres will be OK. Question is when they are ready.

Edited by buffaloaggie

Agreed...the idea is to win a Cup. So how exactly do you plan on doing that without scoring? Everyone is down on Regier because this organization hasn't produced. As one of Regier's proponents, I have often touted his trading ability and his acquisition of Grigs and Girgs in last year's draft.

But this year's draft was a downer. Sorry, but we have more potential NHL defensemen in the queue than we do forwards. And there were good forwards to be had with their two picks. I do not see why we didn't take them instead of what scouting said were the BPA.

I'm with you, but I need to wait until next week to see what he does. I'm not pleased with how today went, but Friday is an entirely different beast.

I'm with you 100%.

After his "suffering" speech, Darcy needed to bring some excitement to the fans. He needed to get Nichushkin, which would have really energized the entire franchise. Instead he flopped...badly.

Sure Ristolainen could turn out to be a good defenseman but Dmen do not sell tickets, and rarely do they cause excitement.

Who do we have in the system for forwards? Armia is untested on a smaller rink and his future is uncertain. Next? No one. Girgensons is not a scorer and is more along the lines of Horvat.

The Sabres franchise badly needed a jolt of energy. They had their chance, and dropped the ball.

their draft options were a guy who quit on his VOX test, Horvat (someone you just said we don't need another of) or a defenseman with elite level potential. How did they drop the ball again?

their draft options were a guy who quit on his VOX test, Horvat (someone you just said we don't need another of) or a defenseman with elite level potential. How did they drop the ball again?

That's why I think we need to wait for a couple of weeks to pass judgement. Darcy knows he has trade bait in Miller and (hopefully not) Vanek and a couple of D-men he could part with. Not to mention free agency with a ton of cap room available. I'm not happy, but let's wait and see.

Does Ristolainen have elite potential? From everything I've read I think he projects to be basically a perfect #2 if he hits his ceiling, but nothing particularly special.

I read this and laugh my ass off, and it's a pretty big ass. Unless there was an announcement I missed I am going to assume that the NHL is going to continue to hold a draft next year and the years to follow.

My feeling about the draft for us today:

If you are one of those people that support the team in the offseason no matter what they do, then you like it.

If you don't like taking risks, you like it.

I think Zadarov is a pretty big risk. They went with Risto at 8 whom is a safer pick who should turn into a nice top pairing guy. I admit that I was holding out for Monaghan or Lindholm to fall but they didn't so this was a good pick. But Zadarov at 16 is a reasonable high risk / high reward guy. There is talk of him being a top pairing, mean 6'5 Dman whom would not have fallen to 16 if there were no risks. IMO Lazar is less of a risk but his upside is 3rd/2nd line player whereas Zadarov is top pairing potential. The second round guys seem to be pretty big projects as well that come with considerable risk.

My feeling about the draft for us today:

If you are one of those people that support the team in the offseason no matter what they do, then you like it.

If you don't like taking risks, you like it.

You forgot to include

"If you are one of those people that don't approve of anything the sabres do unless it fits your narrow, inexperienced expectations, then you will disapprove of what they did today"

The first two picks would've been solid and I would've been happy with them if I thought they fit a need. ONE would have been okay but both? With guys like Nichushkin, Mantha, Shinkaruk ALL on the board?

Not one successful organization I know drafts for need, especially when talking about two or three years fr now. Who knows what they will need then ?

You forgot to include

"If you are one of those people that don't approve of anything the sabres do unless it fits your narrow, inexperienced expectations, then you will disapprove of what they did today"

Of course.

But I'm definitely not one of those people. Jason Pominville is my favorite Sabre that I've ever watched in my time as a sabres fan (12 years or so) and I was extremely pleased with that move.

I was VERY excited about Zack Kassian but love that trade.

I was EXTREMELY pleased with the picks of Grigorenko and McCabe.

Guest Sloth

That's why I think we need to wait for a couple of weeks to pass judgement. Darcy knows he has trade bait in Miller and (hopefully not) Vanek and a couple of D-men he could part with. Not to mention free agency with a ton of cap room available. I'm not happy, but let's wait and see.

I couldn't agree more. +1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.