Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Five, six, eight years...........let's not get carried away.

Not getting carried away. I legitimately believe it. I think in 3-4 years the team will be back in the playoffs, 5-6 years it will start being a legitimate threat and 7-8 years they'll be competing for the Stanley Cup. It's hard to project how our talent is going to develop, but we have so much of it that some of it HAS to turn into legitimate NHL players.

This is coming from a guy who always used to say no Buffalo team will ever win anything. I'm the extreme pessimist and don't think either team ever really gets anything right. But the Sabres have too much young talent not to do something.

Edited by DStebb

Not getting carried away. I legitimately believe it. I think in 3-4 years the team will be back in the playoffs, 5-6 years it will start being a legitimate threat and 7-8 years they'll be competing for the Stanley Cup. It's hard to project how our talent is going to develop, but we have so much of it that some of it HAS to turn into legitimate NHL players.

This is coming from a guy who always used to say no Buffalo team will ever win anything. I'm the extreme pessimist and don't think either team ever really gets anything right. But the Sabres have too much young talent not to do something.

Its the same with every team though. all teams have prospects and guys that are going to develop and could turn into legitimate stars. Only difference is most teams will continue to build around them and get better while Buffalo takes the wait and see approach hoping that everyone develops and can just use what they have to build a winner

Its the same with every team though. all teams have prospects and guys that are going to develop and could turn into legitimate stars. Only difference is most teams will continue to build around them and get better while Buffalo takes the wait and see approach hoping that everyone develops and can just use what they have to build a winner

Sure, but we've got the deepest prospect pool. I think it was hockey prospectus that said we have the best prospect pool of any team since the early 90s. Every team has prospects, but there's an obvious difference in level of prospects and amount of them...

Sure, but we've got the deepest prospect pool. I think it was hockey prospectus that said we have the best prospect pool of any team since the early 90s. Every team has prospects, but there's an obvious difference in level of prospects and amount of them...

That's the problem. Grigorenko is the only star-quality prospect in the system.

All I'm saying is that rarely in sports nowadays do teams actually plan that far ahead. It's tough to find any teams that will bottom out and say, let's load up on prospects and gradually get better over the better part of a decade. Hell, most teams don't even keep their front office employed that long much less plan that far ahead.

FWIW, More "information" from SportsNet:

@SNHockeyCentral

NHL Rumours: Hawerchuk most popular candidate for Jets' next coach; Ray: Miller or Vanek likely next move http://bit.ly/1fVvBfC

@sportsnet

How about Fitzgerald letting the rumor he is in line for the Buffalo GM job, fester?

Oh...goodie..goodie! At least they are kicking tires.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

Thats very debatable

"Deepest," "one of the deepest." Whichever. Some say we have THE deepest, some have us among the deepest. Considering hockeysfuture (for one example) had us as the EIGHTH deepest BEFORE the draft or acquiring Larsson/Hackett... There's not a lot to be excited for in Buffalo, but if you try to deny that our prospect pool is incredibly deep and talented then you're trying way too hard to be negative...

All I'm saying is that rarely in sports nowadays do teams actually plan that far ahead. It's tough to find any teams that will bottom out and say, let's load up on prospects and gradually get better over the better part of a decade. Hell, most teams don't even keep their front office employed that long much less plan that far ahead.

Not saying we've planned that far ahead. Hence why I said "if they play this right." Not hard to understand. If they make sure to keep the prospects that turn out to be legitimate NHL players and don't hold on to the busts too long.

"Deepest," "one of the deepest." Whichever. Some say we have THE deepest, some have us among the deepest. Considering hockeysfuture (for one example) had us as the EIGHTH deepest BEFORE the draft or acquiring Larsson/Hackett... There's not a lot to be excited for in Buffalo, but if you try to deny that our prospect pool is incredibly deep and talented then you're trying way too hard to be negative...

And at one time they had a deep prospect pool that include such talents as Pominville, Roy, Vanek, Miller, etc, Where did that get them again? Sorry if I don't get overly excited because some guys at a website think we have guys that could be good in the future playing in the minors (or on this roster currently) Edited by apuszczalowski

Imagine what we could get for Ott? He brings the toughness of Brown and at least 400,000,000 times the skill. Ott has to be worth a first and a solid prospect.

We could easily end up with 4-5 first round picks this year, but that's pointless. We should be acquiring some more prospects that are closer to being ready to play at an NHL-level. Maybe some guys that are already here. Ott, Vanek and Miller could easily bring in first rounders in their deals. That would give us 4, then we have 3 seconds that could be used to trade up. Basically, we should end up with the first overall pick no matter what because we should have an excess of picks that we could use to move up.

Exactly we'll get great value for whoever we decide to move before the deadline, just gotta keep building the team around the prospects we already have and we know are in the Sabres future

I believe in this as well just because by that time our "prospects" like Pysyk, Zemgus, Zadorov, Risto, Armia, Larsson, Foligno and whoever else we decide to keep with these guys. Plus we'll have the prospects to acquire NHL ready talent to support these guys once we're ready to compete for the playoffs and the Cup just gott give it a few years it'll come.

Have to believe Darcy was planning that far ahead when he sat up in front of Buffalo and said we're gonna have to suffer to reach the ultimate goal no?

Have to believe Darcy was planning that far ahead when he sat up in front of Buffalo and said we're gonna have to suffer to reach the ultimate goal no?

I don't know what to believe any more.

I believe it might be time to start rooting for my local team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.