Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

$0.02: I think it's a positive thing for hockey to grow as a sport, with a significant metric of growth being number of registered youth and adult amateur players. As of the end of 2012, 511,000 players were registered in the US, only 0.163% of the population (only 16 in every 10000 Americans play hockey!). It's been shown that the existence of NHL teams in non-traditional US markets make a siginificant positive impact on the growth of those numbers. So if sending teams to large TV, yet non-traditional hockey markets in order to gain a quick money grab from ratings and slowly develop a culture of hockey-love and more US players, I'm ok with that.

But I'm also a hypocrit. It's garbage that the paper upon which the franchise rights to the Coyotes are printed has been allowed to suffer so long. That team needs to move, preferably to a market that will love and embrace them under a different branding, be it Canadian or Seattlean. Even if a city becomes the new amateur hockey mecca, if the NHL team isn't selling tickets, they need fix their ###### or pack their bags.

I do want to tack on that I recognize the importance of quality hockey to these proceedings: the quality and visibility of the hockey in the last Olympics, I believe, helped to grow the sport world wide. It was ###### awesome and I can't wait for more of that.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Why is that good for hockey? It might be good for the owners. Is it good for hockey?

Come on now! The NHL is not responsible for doing what is best for hockey. Why would you hold them to a higher standard than any other corporation. It is not Warner Brother's responsibility to do what is best for cinema, it is not the NHL's responsibility to do what is best for Hockey.

I think it might be an important step in hockey becoming more than a niche sport in our country. I don't understand how anyone who is a fan of hockey, not just the sabres, wouldn't want the sport to grow beyond what it currently is.

Because I don't think expansion will lead to hockey becoming more than a niche sport. I think it will lead to lousy competition and fewer fans.

Because I don't think expansion will lead to hockey becoming more than a niche sport. I think it will lead to lousy competition and fewer fans.

Perhaps. If expansion was done right I think it could work. The north west has about a half dozen jr A teams between Portland and the border, I believe teams in Portland and Seattle would thrive out here.

For all the talk of teams in trouble and lack of support, there are only 2 or 3 teams that play to less then 95% capacity. The only team truly on trouble now that Phoenix has been sold is Florida. New Jersey is more of an ownership issue that might be solved shortly.

Yep, the story's pretty clear:

“When I did my last contract, ending in the 2012 season, I was asked to help the team manage the salary cap by adding on an extra year to my contract,” he said. “I agreed. Each side fully expected I would retire and not play the 2012-13 season.”

“In late June this year I decided I had it in me to play one more season,” he said. “I told management I was prepared to return, and reminded them of our [handshake] agreement [to make up for my 2012-13 salary] from the year before. To my disappointment, negotiations quickly stalled, and only a few days later other teams contacted me, including Detroit.”

So he agrees to help the club by tacking on the extra year at low salary, thinking that he'll retire before then. Then he doesn't retire, no big deal. Then thinks he'll play yet another year and get money "owed" from the last season- and that's where the contract negotiations stall.

Dolla dolla bill y'all.

Yep, the story's pretty clear:

So he agrees to help the club by tacking on the extra year at low salary, thinking that he'll retire before then. Then he doesn't retire, no big deal. Then thinks he'll play yet another year and get money "owed" from the last season- and that's where the contract negotiations stall.

Dolla dolla bill y'all.

A friend who is an Ottawa fan told me back in June that there were stories about Ottawa essentially offering Alfredsson a blank check. The comments contradict that.

A friend who is an Ottawa fan told me back in June that there were stories about Ottawa essentially offering Alfredsson a blank check. The comments contradict that.

Bryan Murray speaks, again: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2013/08/15/21049121.html

Murray, who felt Alfredsson “threw him under the bus" during his news conference, confirmed Alfredsson asked the Senators for a one-year deal at $7 million and a two-year deal at $12 million. The club offered one year at $4.5 million.

But that's in line with what Alfie said. If it's a $7M/1 deal, that's $4M per year if you count last year. If it's a $12/2 deal, that's a $4.3M per year if you count last year. So the club offers $4.5M per year, and Alfie asks where the rest is from last year.

So I guess golf clubs don't bend like hockey sticks.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680285

"Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux had successful surgery this afternoon on his right index finger performed by Dr. Katherine Boyd at the Ottawa Civic Hospital in Ottawa, Canada. Giroux was golfing today when his golf club shattered and splintered into his index finger. Although there were no broken bones, there was some damage to his extensor tendons in his finger. He is expected to have a full recovery in 5-6 weeks."

http://flyers.nhl.co...s.htm?id=680285

"Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux had successful surgery this afternoon on his right index finger performed by Dr. Katherine Boyd at the Ottawa Civic Hospital in Ottawa, Canada. Giroux was golfing today when his golf club shattered and splintered into his index finger. Although there were no broken bones, there was some damage to his extensor tendons in his finger. He is expected to have a full recovery in 5-6 weeks."

One of the comments posted on the Flyers board:

As a longtime golfer, I have NEVER seen a club "shatter" in someone's hand. However, what I HAVE seen is a club break in two when a pi$$ed off golfer shanked his drive and slammed his club against a tree. Hmmmm....I wonder....

Edited by Sabre Dance

http://flyers.nhl.co...s.htm?id=680285

His girlfriend is gonna be pissed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.