2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Bailey started very slow this year. His numbers in the past month or so have really started climbing.

He was always billed as a long-term prospect.

He played for pat Lafontaine and may have even boarded with him prior to playing Junior hockey.

Bailey started very slow this year. His numbers in the past month or so have really started climbing.

He was always billed as a long-term prospect.

He played for pat Lafontaine and may have even boarded with him prior to playing Junior hockey.

He did board with him.

ESPN Insider: Top 50 Drafted Prospects

6. Rasmus Ristolainen, D, Buffalo Sabres

DOB: 10/27/94 | Age: 19

2013-14 stats (Buffalo, AHL): 19 GP, 1 G, 0 A, 2 P

Preseason ranking: 14

Though he hasn't been all that impressive in the NHL, Ristolainen has a 1994 birth date, meaning we shouldn't expect too much at this age. In the AHL (where he's posted four points in five games this season) and at the WJC (where he had three goals, including the tournament-winner against Sweden), Ristolainen has shown the promise of what he can be, which is a tough-minutes, top-pairing defender for the Sabres.

---

10. Nikita Zadorov, D, Buffalo Sabres

DOB: 4/16/95 | Age: 18

2013-14 stats (London, OHL): 11 GP, 2 G, 5 A, 7 P

Preseason ranking: 32

At 6-foot-5, Zadorov is a prototypical tower of terror along the blue line. He's huge, strong, very mobile and loves to throw his body around. Zadorov has become a more confident offensive player, adding a new element to his game with his passing and shooting skills. He can still make an occasional bad read in all zones, but he's getting better in that area.

---

14. Mikhail Grigorenko, C, Buffalo Sabres

DOB: 5/16/94 | Age: 19

2013-14 stats (Buffalo, NHL): 18 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 3 P

Preseason ranking: 7

His star has faded a little recently as he hasn't gotten a ton of ice time in the NHL, and when he has, he hasn't looked good. There are legitimate concerns about his speed, two-way game and physicality, but there's a ton to dream on with Grigorenko. You rarely find a big man with his level of offensive capabilities, as he's one of the best pure passers among NHL prospects.

---

40. Joel Armia, RW, Buffalo Sabres

DOB: 5/31/93 | Age: 20

2013-14 stats (Rochester, AHL): 23 GP, 4 G, 7 A, 11 P

Preseason ranking: 64

Armia missed a good chunk of the season due to injury as he begins his time in the AHL. However, he's another exciting prospect for Buffalo, as he's a big winger with elite puck skills who can dominate a game at times. His decision-making and all-around play need some work, though.

---

48. J.T. Compher, C, Buffalo Sabres

DOB: 4/8/95 | Age: 18

2013-14 stats (Michigan, NCAA): 18 GP, 6 G, 9 A, 15 P

Preseason ranking: 91

Compher has been pretty good in his freshman season with Michigan, but an injury kept him out of the WJC. I really like his vision and two-way game. Compher projects as a scorer in the NHL if he can make the proper physical transition to the top level.

And he gets two goals and 1 assist

It was actually 1G and 2A.

1/18 Recap: Grigo succeeds in return

Written By Kris Baker on Sunday, January 19, 2014

In Saturday action, Mikhail Grigorenko notched the game winning goal with 7:30 left to play as Quebec defeated Rouyn-Noranda 5-3. Grigorenko, who parked in front and connected with his only shot on goal of the night, rounded out the first-star effort with a pair of assists and an 83.9 percent efficiency (26/31) at the faceoff circle The Remparts return to work Thursday at Gatineau.

In OHL action, Nick Baptiste scored his 25th goal of the year as Sudbury lost at Saginaw 4-3. Baptiste has scored in five of seven January starts, and has collected 4+4 in five games since Radek Faksa (DAL) joined the team via trade with Kitchener. Eric Locke netted a goal and an assist for the Spirit to extend his point streak to eight games, while Justin Kea finished with a minus-two rating.

Justin Bailey was blanked for the second-straight night as Kitchener lost to Owen Sound 2-1. Bailey is currently second on the Rangers in scoring with 33 points (18+15) through 45

In the WHL, Logan Nelson earned an assist as Victoria lost to the league's top club Kelowna 5-3. The helper was Nelson's first point since Dec. 7.

In the USHL, Judd Peterson snapped his five-game goal drought with his 13th of the year and added a helper as Cedar Rapids downed Chicago 4-1. The second-year forward, who has connected on 25 percent of his 52 shots this season, ranks second on the RoughRiders in points with 23 (13+10) through 32 contests.

Connor Hurley picked up an assist to extend his point streak to six games as Green Bay dropped a 4-1 decision to Sioux City. Hurley has eight points in eight games since being traded to the Gamblers for a cumulative season total of 22 (7+15).

Cal Petersen got a night off as newly acquired Cameron Johnson made 45 saves to guide Waterloo to a 2-1 victory over Team USA.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I know I will get eaten alive for this line of thinking...but, I think it is possible.

Grigorenko, Girgensons, Ennis, Foligno, Armia, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Myers, McCabe, Pysyk...is a nice group. Add to that, Reinhart, Dal Colle or Draisaitl in 2014, and McDavid or Eichel in 2015...that's a great foundation to build on.

Then add Ryan Callahan in the summer of 2014 and Patrick Kane in this summer of 2015? That's the making of a contender. Plus there is plenty of talent in the goalie ranks...and still extras like Compher, Bailey and Baptiste to work with.

(Might have to trade some decent pieces to NYR and CHI just for the rights to negotiate with those guys...but I do think it is possible, especially with what Murray and PLF said about "homegrown talent." Not to mention, once you get Callahan in here and a possible #1 overall pick, it will make it easier to get Kane to come back home.)

Anything is possible...more so now, than ever before in Buffalo...especially with who we have running the show. I know it is a longshot for those guys to even make it to free agency, but if they do, Buffalo has as good a shot at landing them as anyone else in the league...especially if they start turning this thing around the right way. I am sure those two would love to come play for two Hall of Famers and help turnaround their childhood/hometown team.

Ok, I woke up...dream over.

I know I will get eaten alive for this line of thinking...but, I think it is possible.

Grigorenko, Girgensons, Ennis, Foligno, Armia, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Myers, McCabe, Pysyk...is a nice group. Add to that, Reinhart, Dal Colle or Draisaitl in 2014, and McDavid or Eichel in 2015...that's a great foundation to build on.

Then add Ryan Callahan in the summer of 2014 and Patrick Kane in this summer of 2015? That's the making of a contender. Plus there is plenty of talent in the goalie ranks...and still extras like Compher, Bailey and Baptiste to work with.

(Might have to trade some decent pieces to NYR and CHI just for the rights to negotiate with those guys...but I do think it is possible, especially with what Murray and PLF said about "homegrown talent." Not to mention, once you get Callahan in here and a possible #1 overall pick, it will make it easier to get Kane to come back home.)

Anything is possible...more so now, than ever before in Buffalo...especially with who we have running the show. I know it is a longshot for those guys to even make it to free agency, but if they do, Buffalo has as good a shot at landing them as anyone else in the league...especially if they start turning this thing around the right way. I am sure those two would love to come play for two Hall of Famers and help turnaround their childhood/hometown team.

Ok, I woke up...dream over.

Yes please to both Callahan and Kane. Ok, wake me up now as well.

I've found Patrick Kane's agent, here on Sabrespace?

No, just Marty McFly.

Why would he come here? Why. Give one reason that isn't "he's from south buffalo"

Also I don't want him. He is to immature to be the most talented player on a team by a long shot.

Also tank, you have 0 ground to criticize anyone or pile on aftere all the ###### you have flung. Face facts Kane hasn't ever said anything about coming back here. He likes Chicago and is staying there.

So keep telling me about Kane to buffalo but unless you mean evander... It is not happening.

Why would he come here? Why. Give one reason that isn't "he's from south buffalo"

Also I don't want him. He is to immature to be the most talented player on a team by a long shot.

Also tank, you have 0 ground to criticize anyone or pile on aftere all the ###### you have flung. Face facts Kane hasn't ever said anything about coming back here. He likes Chicago and is staying there.

So keep telling me about Kane to buffalo but unless you mean evander... It is not happening.

I kid, I kid. Who knows what happens down the road.

Take it easy there LGR, I kid of course. I am indifferent as to whether or not Kane would or would not come to Buffalo. I merely said yes please when someone posted it. And as to the point if he would or would not ever come to Buffalo. As players get up in their 30's, especially ones that have won multiple Cups, I'd suspect the right amount of money would get them here, maybe not in every case, but I can see it as plausible.

Wait, Patrick Kane is too immature but you're open to Evander Kane? Also, if Evander Kane hates Winnipeg, my guess is that Buffalo isn't going to be his favorite city either.

As for Patrick, if the Sabres are contenders a few years from now and he has the option to sign here, I think he might. The idea of coming home (no matter where home is) is always alluring. And I think he understands what it would mean in Buffalo to get that first Cup.

Anyways, Sabres Prospects.

Wait, Patrick Kane is too immature but you're open to Evander Kane? Also, if Evander Kane hates Winnipeg, my guess is that Buffalo isn't going to be his favorite city either.

As for Patrick, if the Sabres are contenders a few years from now and he has the option to sign here, I think he might. The idea of coming home (no matter where home is) is always alluring. And I think he understands what it would mean in Buffalo to get that first Cup.

Anyways, Sabres Prospects.

All good points.

I think the Patrick Kane talk bugs you the same way the Connor McDavid talk bugs me. Not impossible, but also not worth talking about in January 2014.

Yes pretty much. Kane won't leave Chicago for years. McDavid will go to whomever wins the lottery.

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT - 1/20/14

Ullmark's rookie season has been a good one; Grigorenko plays the hero

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Linus Ullmark (2012, sixth round) continued his stellar goaltending last week, highlighted by a 45-save performance Friday as MODO knocked off SHL front-runner Skelleftea AIK 2-1. Prior to the big win, Ullmark stopped 24 of 25 shots Wednesday to guide MODO to a 4-1 victory over Orebro HK.

A bulky, flexible backstop, Ullmark has continued his steady rise among Swedish goaltending prospects while playing his first full SHL (Swedish Hockey League) season. The 20-year old has racked up 12 wins while amassing a 1.96 GAA (3rd in SHL) and league-best .936 save%, and will likely garner strong consideration for SHL Rookie of the Year honors at season’s end.

QMJHL

Mikhail Grigorenko (2012, first round) posted a successful return to the QMJHL Saturday, notching the game-winning goal with 7:30 left to play as Quebec defeated Rouyn-Noranda 5-3. Grigorenko, who parked in front and connected with his only shot on goal of the night, rounded out the first-star effort with a pair of assists and an 83.9 percent efficiency (26/31) at the faceoff circle.