2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT (11/25/13)

Zadorov shines in his return to junior; Baptiste preps for Russian invasion

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

8477507.jpg

Nikita Zadorov (2013, first round) shined in his return to junior hockey Thursday, playing steady defensively while posting three assists as Russia posted their first victory of the 2013 Subway Super Series with a 5-2 victory over Team OHL.

Zadorov overcame a slow start to make a difference when the puck dropped for period two. On his first shift, the veteran of seven NHL games made his presence known by nearly catching Max Domi (PHX) with his head down at the Russian blue line. Minutes later during a penalty killing effort, Zadorov intercepted a pass along the boards, took three strides up ice, and sprung 2014 draft prospect Ildar Shiksatdorov for a breakaway goal.

In the third period, the 18-year old continued to display his dominance by skating down to the left circle and firing a bullet pass to the edge of the crease right on the tape of Vladimir Butuzov to give the Russians a 4-2 lead. Zadorov, who leveraged his long reach and played the body throughout, completed the three-point night when his zone clear off the boards was converted into an empty-net goal to cap the Russian triumph.

The hard-hitting defender followed up his Team Russia performance by heading back to London of the OHL, earning an assist in each of his first two games as the Knights upped their winning streak to six with wins over Erie and Windsor.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Baptiste picked up an assists already. It's 2-2 in the 2nd. I wish I could watch but my interwebs is too slow

@SabresProspects

Nick Baptiste uses his speed to cruise in down the left side and flip a backhand feed to Carter Verhaege for the goal. OHL/RUS tied 2-2.

@SabresProspects

Baptiste flying in the second period. Extra boost in his step. What a great play to get the assist earlier. #Sabres

Nick Baptiste: MAKING HIS CASE

Sudbury Wolves forward Nicholas Baptiste (2013, third round) gave Hockey Canada decision makers much to think about Monday, using his speed and energy to produce an assist and several other scoring chances as Team OHL dropped a 3-2 shootout decision to Team Russia at the Subway Super Series. The game was played in front of a standing-room only crowd at the Sudbury Arena where Baptiste’s Wolves play their home games.

http://youtu.be/lrEsvhyHb2I

Sudbury Wolves forward Nicholas Baptiste (2013, third round) gave Hockey Canada decision makers much to think about Monday, using his speed and energy to produce an assist and several other scoring chances as Team OHL dropped a 3-2 shootout decision to Team Russia at the Subway Super Series. The game was played in front of a standing-room only crowd at the Sudbury Arena where Baptiste’s Wolves play their home games.

I appreciate the reading (and the hope), but is anywhere that doesn't have "Sabres" in the name talking about the kid? I'm really wondering.

I appreciate the reading (and the hope), but is anywhere that doesn't have "Sabres" in the name talking about the kid? I'm really wondering.

The broadcasters were raving about his play yesterday and there's this:

@coreypronman

BUF's Baptiste standing out in a good way. Speed, work ethic, and good hockey sense.

The broadcasters were raving about his play yesterday and there's this: @coreypronman BUF's Baptiste standing out in a good way. Speed, work ethic, and good hockey sense.
I saw that article about Foligno and Baptiste on the Super Series website, so definitely :)

Good to hear, I was hoping that we weren't in a Sabres-bubble about it.

Kris Baker: Amerks' Ristolainen: A lot to like, plenty to learn

In Wednesday action, Rasmus Ristolainen ripped a one-timer for his first AHL goal and added a second into an empty net as Rochester doubled Hamilton 6-3. Kevin Porter paced the Amerks with two goals and an assist, while Phil Varone snapped his three-game funk with three helpers. Nathan Lieuwen stopped 24 of 27 shots for his fifth career AHL victory and fourth of the season for the Amerks, who next host Lake Erie on Friday.

In the OHL, Nick Baptiste connected on a five-on-three advantage and again for a shootout marker as Sudbury skated to a 3-2 victory over Sault Ste. Marie. The regulation tally was Baptiste's 19th of the year. He'll look for goal #20 Friday when the Wolves host Niagara.

Justin Kea notched an assist as Saginaw picked up a 6-2 win over Windsor. The helper keeps Kea at a point-per-game pace with 26 (11+15) through 26 Spirit contests. Saginaw visits a Sarnia squad boasting 2014 draft eligible Nikolay Goldobin on Friday,

In the USHL, Connor Hurley was a minus-one as Muskegon was defeated by Green Bay 4-1. Hurley has now gone two-straight games without a point for the third time this season. Muskegon hosts Green Bay on Friday.

In the NCAA, Anthony Florentino finished with a plus-one rating as Providence and Quinnipiac played to a 3-3 tie. The Friars take on Brown on Saturday.

On Tuesday, Sean Malone (-1) recorded two shots on goal as Harvard downed New Hampshire 6-3. Harvard visits Dartmouth on Saturday.

Baptiste deserves look at world junior camp

baptiste_nicholas640.jpg

OHL at the SSS

Nicholas Baptiste didn’t start playing hockey until he was 11. He asked his father Ralph and mother Michelle if they would take him to the rink to skate. Ralph, born in Haiti, never played hockey, nor did Michelle. Baptiste has had an amazing progression in just seven years. From what I’ve seen, his speed and energy deserve a good look at the world junior camp.

From the 2013 ISS Draft Guide

WILDCARDS & SLEEPERS

Nick Baptiste - This kid is an athlete with tremendous compete and a great personality. He is a diamond in the rough and is going to be a very effective power forward for years to come. His play at U18s this year was tremendous and his consistent efforts seemed to wake some of the other sleeping giants on Canada's squad. This is a kid who would do wonders for a lot of organizations.

NICK BAPTISTE

Sudbury – OHL

Position: RW

Born: Aug 4/95

Height: 6.00.7 Weight: 189

Report Card

Size/Strength Good

Skating Excellent

Puck Skills Very Good

Shot Good

Offensive Play Very Good

Defensive Play Average

Physical Play Good

Competitiveness Excellent

Hockey Sense Very Good

Strengths

1. Relentless motor

2. Great overall skating

3. Developing defensive tools

Weaknesses:

1. Continual development in defensive instincts/awareness

2. Needs to bulk up

Skill: Slick puck carrier with flashy skill on thepuck. High tempo offensive pace

Scouting Report:

Baptiste plays the game at a high tempo and has a relentless offensive motor. Possesses dynamic hands to match his quick outside speed in order to get a jump on the opposition defenders. Has great puck presence and the ability to burn opposition defenders while having the vision to find his teammates in the offensive zone. His defensive awareness and instincts have come a long way and are a work in progress, has the tendency to commit early out of the defensive zone. It is evident in his intensity and work ethic that Nick has a passion for the game and development hasn’t stopped as he continues to improve.

NHL Potential:

2nd-3rd line winger while adding excellent secondary scoring.

Style compares to: Brenden Morrow

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

JT Compher scored a goal and an assist tonight in Michigan's 4-3 win over Ohio State in the debut game of the Big 10 Hockey conference. Compher now has 3g, 9a in 12 games for the 3rd ranked Wolverines.

Love Compher. Really looking forward to him in a few years.

Sabres’ youngsters thriving back in development leagues

Bill Hoppe Olean Times Herald

Some quick updates on the rookies the Buffalo Sabres’ new regime reassigned to the AHL and junior Nov. 19.

Not surprisingly, the youngsters are thriving outside the NHL. You these think these prospects should’ve been sent down earlier?

Still no word on what "upper body injury" kept Risto out on Saturday. Hopefully the sucker punch on Friday didn't give him a concussion.

Having seen it in person, it looked like a glancing blow. He wasn't knocked out or even down. From my perspective, I found it odd that it did cause him to miss time.

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT (12/2/13)

J.T. Compher is making an impression early at Michigan; Cal Petersen won three straight.

Waterloo goaltender Cal Petersen (2013, fifth round) ended the month of November on a busy note. Petersen produced three wins in three straight nights, including his first shutout of the season, as the Black Hawks maintained their third-place position in the USHL’s Western Conference standings.

Petersen’s impressive stretch began Thursday with a 29-save performance in a 3-2 win over Cedar Rapids. The two clubs completed the home-and-home series Friday with the Notre Dame commit stopping all 32 shots he faced to guide the Black Hawks to a 3-0 victory. Petersen trotted out again Saturday, making 30 saves as Waterloo edged Sioux City 3-2.

The rock-solid showing comes on the heels of a rough outing the week prior when Petersen allowed seven goals in a loss to the Team USA U18. In all, the 19-year old netminder has won of 11 of his 13 starts this year, amassing a 2.44 GAA and .920 save%.

Fox Sports DET and OHIO and televising MICH (with JT Compher) @ OSU right now ICYI

@SabresProspects

J.T. Compher has scored his fourth goal of the year to give Michigan a 2-1 lead on Ohio State. That's points in five straight for Compher.

@SabresProspects

MODO's Gustav Possler back practicing at full speed. Good sign for Sweden's WJC entry, especially if Lindholm/Forsberg unavailable. #Sabres

@SabresProspects

And just like that, Compher scores his second of the game to give Michigan a 3-1 lead on Ohio State.

@coreypronman

Two goals for BUF's Compher. Both tough net drive type markers. Now the Freshman leads Michigan in scoring.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

What would Baptiste have? Just curious. Also what about Possler?

Baptiste would have something like 16G, 16A on 82 games. Possler, because he's playing in the much stronger SEL, would have something like 28G, 17A, but his sample size is way small; I don't trust that at all.

McCabe's equivalency is at about 33 points so far this season.

Armia has taken a step back a little bit adjusting to Rochester in the nine games he has so far, down from 44 NHLe points to 15 NHLe points in this young AHL season. But he's got time to work it out. And I think he's been injured.

JGL slipped from 28 NHLe points in the QMJHL to 5 NHLe points last year in Rochester, but he's improved his way back up to 12 NHLe points so far this season.

Kevin Sundher's slowly improving his offensive game, up to 15 NHLe points from 12 NHLe points last year.

Eric Locke's putting up big number again for Saginaw, looking at 35 NHLe points again.

====

Oh, and in case anyone gives a ######, here's the NHL equivalency chart, modifiers of the points per game stat:

Russian Super League 0.83

Czech Republic League 0.74

Swedish Elite League 0.78

Finland SM-Liiga 0.54

AHL/IHL 0.44

Switzerland National League 0.43

Deutsche Eishockey League 0.52

NCAA0.41

Canadian Major Juniors 0.29

So for example, if Armia scores 100pts in 149 games in SM-Liiga, you might expect he should score 0.54 times as much in the NHL, or 0.54*100/149*82 = 29.7 points. I thought it was interesting to see the different "strengths" of the leagues compared.

Edited by IKnowPhysics