OT - Pubs & Establisments around FNC

Buffalo Wings

I've been a fan for 30+ years and I'm finally attending my first Sabres game ever in a couple weeks (Rangers). I'm coming with a group of guys, so we're looking for a good pub-style place to hit before and/or after the game. Since it's been about 10 years since I've been to downtown Buffalo (Frozen Four in 2003), does anyone have good suggestions?

I'm thinking of the Pearl St Grill or The Irish Times, but I'm open to other ideas. I've done the Anchor Bar enough times, but might do Duff's since a few of these guys have never had their wings.

Thanks!

I've been a fan for 30+ years and I'm finally attending my first Sabres game ever in a couple weeks (Rangers). I'm coming with a group of guys, so we're looking for a good pub-style place to hit before and/or after the game. Since it's been about 10 years since I've been to downtown Buffalo (Frozen Four in 2003), does anyone have good suggestions?

I'm thinking of the Pearl St Grill or The Irish Times, but I'm open to other ideas. I've done the Anchor Bar enough times, but might do Duff's since a few of these guys have never had their wings.

Thanks!

I'd go to Irish Times. IMO Pearl St. is overrated(food), and on the pricey side.

Thanks!

There's a pub just down the street from the arena on Perry Street. Looks pretty cool. I've never gone in.

I'd go to Irish Times. IMO Pearl St. is overrated(food), and on the pricey side.

The Irish Times is pretty good. If you do go there and get wings, order them extra crispy. If the place is crowded they've been known to undercook the wings on occasion. Never had a problem with them when ordering 'extra crispy' regardless of how crowded it is. Also, (in case you haven't been there, if you have, well then as Emily Lutella used to say, 'never mind.') they have a 2nd bar/dining room upstairs if the downstairs one is packed.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Swannie House. Cor. of Ohio & Michigan. Closer in is the Cobblestone. About a mile away in the First Ward is Gene McCarthy's. New owners are starting to brew their own beers. Heard good things about the place.

Other places in the general vicinity that I know of:

The Malamute

DiTondo's Tavern

Washington Square

PTR

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Swannie House. Cor. of Ohio & Michigan. Closer in is the Cobblestone. About a mile away in the First Ward is Gene McCarthy's. New owners are starting to brew their own beers. Heard good things about the place.

The Malamute

DiTondo's Tavern

Washington Square

PTR

I am pretty low maintenance in terms of establishments. I tried Swannie House for the first time last year. Service sucked and so did the food. I won't be going back.

I am pretty low maintenance in terms of establishments. I tried Swannie House for the first time last year. Service sucked and so did the food. I won't be going back.

It's a very good way to ensure that you're enjoying the game from the inside of a stall.

The Malamute

DiTondo's Tavern

Washington Square

PTR

Thanks, Promo! Cobblestone & Washington Square look pretty good. Appreciate the info!

Good choices. Cobblestone is just a block away from FNC. Obviously get there early.

PTR

Yep - we're coming from Albany and plan to get into town somewhere between 2 & 3, so we'll have plenty of time. It might be our post-game location...some of these guys have never had Duff's wings. :doh:

We went to the Swannie House after a company holiday dinner at Chef's. I ordered a draft beer; it arrived in a dirty glass. I don't mean it was unwashed - it had a small chunk of actual dirt on the inside (which I unfortunately did not see until I had already taken a few sips). I took it back to the bar and asked for a replacement (well, a different beer, one that I had not tasted before). I took one sip of that and thought, "Wow this beer is really different". The second sip convinced me the beer was not unusual except for the fact that it was sour. At that point, I simply left. I was very surprised that I did not get sick.

I would not willingly send anyone there or go back myself. :thumbdown:

Lagerhaus 95 is good. I agree w/ Blue on Pearl Street. The food just isn't very good. I would avoid Pan American Grille, too (same owner as Pearl Street).

There's a pub just down the street from the arena on Perry Street. Looks pretty cool. I've never gone in.

Agreed: Lagerhaus 95 is a good pre-game spot.

Yep - we're coming from Albany and plan to get into town somewhere between 2 & 3, so we'll have plenty of time. It might be our post-game location...some of these guys have never had Duff's wings. :doh:

Cobblestone is a good post-game destination as well (especially after a win). I think I've heard the players sometimes drop in after, assuming they don't have to travel for the next game.

I'm surprised by the bad reviews of the swannie house. I haven't been there in over a decade but the food used to be great years ago.

I think there was a change in ownership a couple years back. I do remember going there about ten years ago and the food was good...

Archived