Forget the Draft Lottery!

deluca67

Why not have a NHL version of the NIT? Have the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs play in a mini-tournament with the winner getting the #1 overall draft pick. Each series can be 3 games with the team that has the fewer points having home ice advantage with the option of playing the first two at home or going home-away-home.

IMO, it is a more honest way of awarding the draft positions than some random lottery drawing. It will also give a chance to the non-playoff teams to earn some extra revenue.

Another idea is to give teams the option to purchase additional cap space before the season starts with the revenue going directly to those smaller revenue teams. It works similar to a luxury tax. If the NY Rangers want an additional $10 million in cap space for the 2013-14 season it would cost them $5 mil that will go directly to a fund to be divided amongst the smaller revenue teams.

Just throwing some stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

Anything would be better than having to hope your team loses to get a top pick.

They could also go further in the direction of complete lottery: The 14 non-playoff teams each get one lotto ball and they draw one to see who picks first, then another to see who picks second, then for 3rd, etc. This way, having the absolute worst record in hockey could still only get you the 14th pick. Conversely, a late playoff push that falls short can't hurt you.

And if they really want to make things interesting: Televise the whole thing and have it take place a half hour before the draft starts. Lottery at 7:30pm; first pick at 8pm. Wouldn't every hockey fan tune in to see that?

Why not have a NHL version of the NIT? Have the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs play in a mini-tournament with the winner getting the #1 overall draft pick. Each series can be 3 games with the team that has the fewer points having home ice advantage with the option of playing the first two at home or going home-away-home.

IMO, it is a more honest way of awarding the draft positions than some random lottery drawing. It will also give a chance to the non-playoff teams to earn some extra revenue.

Another idea is to give teams the option to purchase additional cap space before the season starts with the revenue going directly to those smaller revenue teams. It works similar to a luxury tax. If the NY Rangers want an additional $10 million in cap space for the 2013-14 season it would cost them $5 mil that will go directly to a fund to be divided amongst the smaller revenue teams.

Just throwing some stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

The playdown for dfaft picks is an interesting idea. I hate the thought of a luxury tax.

I understand the allure of the playoff for the top pick, but I'm not sure how equitable it would be. Usually the bottom two or three teams are significantly worse than the teams that just miss the playoffs and thus way more deserving at a shot at the top pick. I could see a team like Pittsburgh have an off year due to injuries to some of their top guys, just miss the playoffs and then cruise their way to the top pick in a playoff.

I understand the allure of the playoff for the top pick, but I'm not sure how equitable it would be. Usually the bottom two or three teams are significantly worse than the teams that just miss the playoffs and thus way more deserving at a shot at the top pick. I could see a team like Pittsburgh have an off year due to injuries to some of their top guys, just miss the playoffs and then cruise their way to the top pick in a playoff.

I see nothing wrong with that.

I think your system would mean the team that was 14th would get the 1st overall and the team that was 30th over all would get the 14th overall. I'm not sure how many teams really tank to get a pick. I have no doubt that the Sabres actually want to win games, but that doesn't mean they are doing a good job. Likewise I am not surprised a team liek Florida is last, they were an untalented team who suffered injuries to the small pool of talent they had

I think your system would mean the team that was 14th would get the 1st overall and the team that was 30th over all would get the 14th overall. I'm not sure how many teams really tank to get a pick. I have no doubt that the Sabres actually want to win games, but that doesn't mean they are doing a good job. Likewise I am not surprised a team liek Florida is last, they were an untalented team who suffered injuries to the small pool of talent they had

I don't think the players are motivated by this stuff at all. They're going to do what they're going to do.

Turning the whole thing into a 14 team draft where every team has an equal chance at picks 1-14 means we aren't rewarding organizations/management that completely tank a season and we aren't punishing organizations that make a real effort to make the postseason and come up short. More importantly, you wouldn't be screwing with the fans. Right now fans of bad teams basically spend the season hoping for losses and draft position. I'd be thrilled to abandon that aspect of the game. Every fan would either have the playoffs or a shot at no.1 overall.

And they could turn the draft into a big TV event. Imagine if 14 NHL cities had a shot at the first overall pick every year but didn't know until about a half hour before the draft started. Pro sports is entertainment. This is what the NHL should be thinking about (not glowing pucks or superheroes based on the names of the teams).

But it's the NHL. Stupidity reigns.

Especially during the 2014-15 season when the top overall pick yields Connor McDavid.

I think a playoff for the top pick would be fun, but it goes against the very spirit of the draft and the type of league the NHL wants. The entire purpose of the worst teams getting the best picks is to promote parity, to allow teams to go from bad to good and compete. This, in turn, should promote ticket and merchandise sales, and this, increased revenue.

Not saying your idea is bad, just completely impractical. There's no way any pro sports league institutes a system which makes it all but impossible for the worst teams to improve.

Is Connor the second coming of Crosby? I keep hearing his name but not really up on him

That's what Crosby thinks.

And, of course, there are the inevitable comparisons. In this instance, "The Kid" met "El Sid."

"He reminds me of me," the Pittsburgh Penguins' Sidney Crosby tells USA TODAY Sports.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/hockey/minors/2013/02/17/connor-mcdavid-nhl-hockey-ontario-hockey-league/1926709/

I think a playoff for the top pick would be fun, but it goes against the very spirit of the draft and the type of league the NHL wants. The entire purpose of the worst teams getting the best picks is to promote parity, to allow teams to go from bad to good and compete. This, in turn, should promote ticket and merchandise sales, and this, increased revenue.

Not saying your idea is bad, just completely impractical. There's no way any pro sports league institutes a system which makes it all but impossible for the worst teams to improve.

Excellent point

^This is the main problem with the idea. Another thing to consider is that management values the high draft pick more than current players do. I mean, for a 3rd or 4th liner, if you're "competing" for a higher draft pick, you could be competing to draft the guy that's gonna knock you out of the lineup and take your job next season. I guess they would hope to play well enough throughout the tournament to secure their job, but if they win the #1 pick and take an NHL ready player, it probably means someone is gonna be the odd man out.

I did take this point into consideration. Is this any more against the spirit of the draft than a lottery is? IMO, the only difference is that you are taking the randomness out of the process and making the teams earn their draft pick on merit.

This format would influence tanking even more. Especially in years where there is a "can't-miss" prospect. Teams that feel they're one piece away might tank to get into the NIT and then go all out to win the pick.

I did take this point into consideration. Is this any more against the spirit of the draft than a lottery is? IMO, the only difference is that you are taking the randomness out of the process and making the teams earn their draft pick on merit.

As he already said, though, the point is that you earn the pick by being bad. The point of the draft order is to get talent to places where it isn't already. A lot of times nobody wants to go to some cities so they have to get a big draft pick instead.

It's more against the spirit of the draft because the effects could be much greater under your system. In the lottery, it's currently impossible to drop more than 1 spot. In your system, the worst team in the league would be almost guaranteed to drop around 10 spots. Big difference.

It's more against the spirit of the draft because the effects could be much greater under your system. In the lottery, it's currently impossible to drop more than 1 spot. In your system, the worst team in the league would be almost guaranteed to drop around 10 spots. Big difference.

*Maybe* if you put a limit on how far a team could move it would make sense; if the tournament could only move a team up/down 3 spots or something. Other than that you're rarely going to have the worst team in the league during the regular season pick first with the tournament system.

Thats where I'm at with this. The likelihood of the crappy team getting the pick is slim at best. Why would you give the top pick to the best team of the loser teams rather than the worst team ?

Archived