Is Darcy a Weasel?

Stormin Norman

How do you all feel about the job Darcy is doing ? Other than firing the coach has he done anything that appears to have improved the team ? Roster moves ? Is he burning up the phone lines trying to bring in help ? Is he simply waiting for the market to set itself as he likes to say ? Does anyone know of any scouts checking out the team recently ? Is Darcy even alive ? Has anyone seen him ? Maybe we should send someone over to check on him. I jest I jest but seriously.

How do you all feel about the job Darcy is doing ? Other than firing the coach has he done anything that appears to have improved the team ? Roster moves ? Is he burning up the phone lines trying to bring in help ? Is he simply waiting for the market to set itself as he likes to say ? Does anyone know of any scouts checking out the team recently ? Is Darcy even alive ? Has anyone seen him ? Maybe we should send someone over to check on him. I jest I jest but seriously.

Well he was at the Amerks game tonight. My friend spoke to him in the hallway of the suite level and said it was a pleasant exchange regarding Enroth's game last night.

There also appeared to be lot of scouts in attendance (if dudes in suits with notepads watching the game alone from upper rows = scouts).

I would like to believe the Sabres inactivity is due to upper-management putting the chains on Regier in anticipation of a change at the position. Unfortunately it is more likely Regier will make a move at the deadline and maybe another in the off-season. Both moves, individually, will look like good moves. But like most of Regier's moves they will have no positive effect on the overall success of the team.

I would like to believe the Sabres inactivity is due to upper-management putting the chains on Regier in anticipation of a change at the position. Unfortunately it is more likely Regier will make a move at the deadline and maybe another in the off-season. Both moves, individually, will look like good moves. But like most of Regier's moves they will have no positive effect on the overall success of the team.

I think you're right. Darcy might have a feel for individual players. At times, he makes brilliant pickups. But I don't think he has a vision of how to put together a successful team. The players haven't fit together and it seems we go from GM to GM without a team personality.

I think Muckler at the end had the chemistry right.

I think you're right. Darcy might have a feel for individual players. At times, he makes brilliant pickups. But I don't think he has a vision of how to put together a successful team. The players haven't fit together and it seems we go from GM to GM without a team personality.

I think Muckler at the end had the chemistry right.

Regier has never understood the importance of balance and chemistry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

And Muckler did? Really? Ownership MADE him dump salary that he had screwed up on. Did that chemistry he had built work? No FN way. Is Darcy a Weasel? Absolutely NOT!!!! Is upper management STUPID? Absolutely yes! I've pi$$ed away season ticket money since 1981 on this joke for one run at the cup frinal .. MY fault and I was stupid, but I love the game. TP has come in and Pi$$ed away his money. But, his head is in his behind if he keeps DR. I made my decision when I received my season ticket letter on fan appreciation night: "WE are increasing season ticket prices again." This iletter included the usual PR BS for dummies. Fine! I'll buy Shea's season tickets, see quality for much less money, and have my wife enjoy it also. I'll buy 2-3 games on Stubhub or from scalpers so I don't pay the Sabres' single game price when QUALITY teams come in, and watch talent kick our sorry a$$es. We'll go on two more vacations each year at quality resorts or cruise lines, and the Sabres organization can lick my taint. I'll sit in the comfort of my home, watch the game, and flip the channel when they suck. Then I can blame the CROWD for their losses, cuz they BOOOOOED the pussies!!!

Edited by Grumpy

That pretty much sums it up.

I think Pegula is crazy. Did anyone else hear the time he called Kevin Sylvester and said that every morning when he finishes breakfast he puts the dog in the back seat of his car and drives him around town, because the dog enjoys it? It just sounded loco.

At this point I think his feelings are hurt and he's going to keep Darcy around just to stick it to everyone who wants him gone. I really think that's the kind of guy he is. He wants to be seen as a white knight and he can't handle criticism. Who the hell blames the fans and the media when the team sucks? That's CRAZY.

Edited by blugold43

I think Pegula is crazy. Did anyone else hear the time he called Kevin Sylvester and said that every morning when he finishes breakfast he puts the dog in the back seat of his car and drives him around town, because the dog enjoys it? It just sounded loco.

:)

For some reason that reminds me of the White House Correspondents Dinner last night. I used to love this event, but as the years have gone by, when I see the media and celebrities and politicians living it up and ribbing each other, even when we're in a depression or have just been attacked, I think to myself, "The joke's on us."

That pretty much sums it up.

At this point I think his feelings are hurt and he's going to keep Darcy around just to stick it to everyone who wants him gone. I really think that's the kind of guy he is. He wants to be seen as a white knight and he can't handle criticism. Who the hell blames the fans and the media when the team sucks? That's CRAZY.

How did TP get rich anyway? I guess drilling wells did not require any leadership skills. Otherwise, DR would already be gone.

I've read the entire thread since I first posted it, and it's still legit in my view. Today, I feel more sorry for Ruff than anyone else. Sure, his voice might have grown stale and players weren't responding to him as in the past. But there is no doubt in my mind that year after year he got the most out of mediocre rosters put together by Regier. How Lindy must feel today knowing he was let go after bleeding Sabre blue and gold for over half his life.

Meanwhile, the Wizard of Odd in charge of building the team finally pulls the plug on his futile roster -- and is near complete in dismantling the "leadership core" we've endured since the Drury-Briere bloodletting. Truth is, there was no leadership core left in place after '07. Regier's faith in Roy-Pomminstein-Connolly-Vanek as players ready to fill the void hastened our decline to mediocrity. Then Lucic made the ultimate mockery of the hollow core left behind.

Edited by Stormin Norman

He sold a majority of his company's land holdings to a huge International company.

That company will, no doubt, be doing the drilling.

He sold his company, not just the land holdings, to Shell Oil.

There is much more than just land holdings in that deal. There is years of Marcellus Shale data. And it's worth high dollars.

I've read the entire thread since I first posted it, and it's still legit in my view. Today, I feel more sorry for Ruff than anyone else. Sure, his voice might have grown stale and players weren't responding to him as in the past. But there is no doubt in my mind that year after year he got the most out of mediocre rosters put together by Regier. How Lindy must feel today knowing he was let go after bleeding Sabre blue and gold for over half his life.

Meanwhile, the Wizard of Odd in charge of building the team finally pulls the plug on his futile roster -- and is near complete in dismantling the "leadership core" we've endured since the Drury-Briere bloodletting. Truth is, there was no leadership core left in place after '07. Regier's faith in Roy-Pomminstein-Connolly-Vanek as players ready to fill the void hastened our decline to mediocrity. Then Lucic made the ultimate mockery of the hollow core left behind.

Ruff was just as much a part of the problem throughout the years as Regier will continue to be.

Pegula has little to do with this to be honest, he's not getting a fair shake from the fans that have complete apathy right now.

You cannot seriously judge him as an owner after a mere 2 years, let him get his feet wet. He stated he wanted the hockey dept. to make mistakes, that is how they will learn, but it is him that is learning, as an owner. And apparently the hard way.

Good coaches change teams. Don't choose it as a career if you don't accept that basic premise. Feel sorry for a guy(Ruff) who should have lived in three cities on average for a real coach? No FN way. Google Bowman. Google Al Arbour to dispute my premise. The second team in history to come back from a 3-0 deficit,; plus, Arbour was long tenured coach who had 4 cup wins as a player and 4 as a coach. Ruff? LOL! ---------- Oh and leadership core is a great catch phrase, but unfortunately, talent wins. WE lost the leadrship core, and that's why we lost? Isn't the coach the leader? Really?

Oh. and by the way, all that LOVE this board loves to heap on the Drury/Briere era? What cups did they win? Don't waste my time with the answer: ZERO. Danny still has zero and Drury has one, when he was facing other third line players, Hell, Roy and Pommer played well against 3rd line talent in 2006.

Edited by Grumpy

Good coaches change teams. Don't choose it as a career if you don't accept that basic premise. Feel sorry for a guy(Ruff) who should have lived in three cities on average for a real coach? No FN way. Google Bowman. Google Al Arbour to dispute my premise. The second team in history to come back from a 3-0 deficit,; plus, Arbour was long tenured coach who had 4 cup wins as a player and 4 as a coach. Ruff? LOL! ---------- Oh and leadership core is a great catch phrase, but unfortunately, talent wins. WE lost the leadrship core, and that's why we lost? Isn't the coach the leader? Really?

Oh. and by the way, all that LOVE this board loves to heap on the Drury/Briere era? What cups did they win? Don't waste my time with the answer: ZERO. Danny still has zero and Drury has one, when he was facing other third line players, Hell, Roy and Pommer played well against 3rd line talent in 2006.

There is an excellent point in here. We didn't lose the leadership core as much as we lost the talent core. Drury, Briere, Dumont, Campbell, etc etc.

There is an excellent point in here. We didn't lose the leadership core as much as we lost the talent core. Drury, Briere, Dumont, Campbell, etc etc.

Yessir! Shane Doan, the guy who allegedly could have saved this season with his leadership, just captained a team that won the division last year to a 10th place finish out West. Did he forget how to lead? Talent > everything else.

Yessir! Shane Doan, the guy who allegedly could have saved this season with his leadership, just captained a team that won the division last year to a 10th place finish out West. Did he forget how to lead? Talent > everything else.

But they missed the playoffs with accountability in the locker-room. :D

But they missed the playoffs with accountability in the locker-room. :D

They won more playoff series in the past 11 months than the Sabres in the past 6 years....

And have been in more bankruptcies.........

And paid out about 70% of the cash in salaries the Sabres did.......

And still finished higher in the standings..........

Talent gets you nowhere.......there is always a leader with brains that will take you out. Tom Brady was a 6th Round pick for a reason. Put him in the QB challenge skills contest and he is mid pack.

Derek Roy hustled his ass off as a winger for Drury.

That's how the synergy happens......

And I know you are just being funny X.....I'm talking in general here.

The clear perspective, now that the dust has settled and we can view with clarity and 'distance', is that Regier threw his old 'pal' Lindy under the bus in order to keep his own ass out of the sling. A real man would take some responsibility and ownership for the clear failures of the team and move on to fresh pastures - but apparently not Regier.

A real man would take some responsibility and ownership for the clear failures of the team and move on to fresh pastures - but apparently not Regier.

Regier has tried to do everything within his power to create a team that can win, including firing the coach (which is a regular business occurence in professional sports, not a throw under the bus move- and not ONCE has Regier blamed Lindy's faults for the Sabres' woes), has admitted to failing, and will continue to try to do everything within his power to create a team that can win. Thinking that he'll resign for some reason or believing "that's what a real man does" is stupid as ######.

Regier has tried to do everything within his power to create a team that can win, including firing the coach (which is a regular business occurence in professional sports, not a throw under the bus move- and not ONCE has Regier blamed Lindy's faults for the Sabres' woes), has admitted to failing, and will continue to try to do everything within his power to create a team that can win. Thinking that he'll resign for some reason or believing "that's what a real man does" is stupid as ######.

If my owner told me how to try and win the Cup, I'd resign. A lot of type-A alpha males in the world of NHL management would, too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.