Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

I'm not sure that leaving Landon Donovan at home is a smart move. I think he's a prima donna, for sure, but he's the best player we have.

Agreed. I think he's slipping, but don't understand the overall rationale. If Klinsmann wants to say he did it to go with youth, then why take Wondolowski over Boyd? Even if, in JK's eyes, Donovan wasn't good enough to be one of the four starting attack options (Dempsey, Altidore, Zusi, Bedoya?) he'd still give opponents something to "fear" coming off the bench. If the US flops (which wouldn't be a shock in the Group of Death) this will come back to haunt him.

He's intentionally leaving a player who will not be able to play in 2018 off the roster in favor of youth because there is approximately a 0% chance of the team advancing out of group play even if they had Landon and Pele on the roster.

And there's about a 0% chance that Klinsmann will be the coach then, too. This is a terrible idea.

I'm sure he cleared it with the board before he did it. If there was any risk of his firing, he certainly would have put LD on the 23-man.

Oh, I just mean that it's rare for a coach to stay with a national team that long. I don't think this one decision would lead to firing. But it certainly will lead to a failure to advance out of the group. I look at the roster and I see plenty of players who could have been left off for Donovan.

I also don't think it's a youth movement at all, although I understand the speculation. I think Klinsmann is fed up w/ Donovan.

The captain and face of US soccer on the international stage should be playing in the WC.

And why is this discussion not in the WC thread?

Just passing through ...

Carry on.

Because the WC thread begins with a completely unrealistic poll.

Oh, I just mean that it's rare for a coach to stay with a national team that long. I don't think this one decision would lead to firing. But it certainly will lead to a failure to advance out of the group. I look at the roster and I see plenty of players who could have been left off for Donovan.

I also don't think it's a youth movement at all, although I understand the speculation. I think Klinsmann is fed up w/ Donovan.

Because the WC thread begins with a completely unrealistic poll.

Taken care of in 3,2,1 ...

Haha, we are talking about Landon Donovan like he is important. ######. All Americans are considered imports, which is why we claimed Pele, long ago, so we would not have to talk about Landon Donovan as globally important in 2014. BTW, Clint Demsey is WAY BETTER. Klinsmann still rules!

Haha, we are talking about Landon Donovan like he is important. ######. All Americans are considered imports, which is why we claimed Pele, long ago, so we would not have to talk about Landon Donovan as globally important in 2014. BTW, Clint Demsey is WAY BETTER. Klinsmann still rules!

Agreed, Dempsey is better. And Bradley is better than both. No question Donovan is one of the best players we have, but if Klinsman believes the team is better without him I trust his judgement.

A draw against Portugal is not unrealistic. Beating Ghana is not unrealistic. They may get past the group stage based on tiebreakers.

I think that a draw against Portugal is unrealistic.

I think that a draw against Ghana is realistic. No way we make it through, nor do we deserve that honor.

If the United States took "soccer" seriously we could dominate. It's no surprise that we are more concerned with hitting ourselves in the heads with helmets though.

We are wery, wery, good of hitting each other in the heads with helmets.

Mow and mow we hit each other in heads and tougher we get.

London and Toronto drink heavily too. Lots in common.