Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Don't underestimate Ghana, i can see them beating Germany or Portugal.

Underestimate Ghana? I don't think so. It's the team that knocked us out of each of the last two World Cups. I fear them.

Good news for you guys i guess, Ronaldo might not make it either, Has an inflamation on his pattellar ligament, staff from real madrid is being hired to get him prepped for the world cup , but might not make it.

Edited by Heimdall

Good news for you guys i guess, Ronaldo might not make it either, Has an inflamation on his pattellar ligament, staff from real madrid is being hired to get him prepped for the world cup , but might not make it.

A WC without CR7 is not good news for anyone.

A WC without CR7 is not good news for anyone.

The hell it ain't! Is he not one of the best players in the world? Is Portugal not in our group? Does him not playing increase the U.S.'s chances of earning a point against them?

I think that a draw against Portugal is unrealistic.

I think that a draw against Ghana is realistic. No way we make it through, nor do we deserve that honor.

It's not unrealistic. Not likely, not expected, but not unrealistic. Portugal has a long history of not meeting expectations.

If the United States took "soccer" seriously we could dominate. It's no surprise that we are more concerned with hitting ourselves in the heads with helmets though.

We are wery, wery, good of hitting each other in the heads with helmets.

Mow and mow we hit each other in heads and tougher we get.

American kids play soccer more than any other sport growing up. My .02 on why the game is not more popular here. Kids/teenagers see a game on TV, watch a foreign player dive in the box and roll around like he's shot in order to draw a penalty, and sees on the replay that the guy wasn't even touched. Every once in awhile, especially close to stoppage time you'll see see a guy carried off on a stretcher and back on the field a minute later. America is a culture that prides itself on toughness, and those actions turn most of us off to the game.

Edited by Hank

If I could I'd move many of the recent posts in this thread to the WC thread.

All my hard work to start that thread, with a poll to start and then the effort to remove that poll.

I think it's probably ok if a hockey message board only has one soccer thread; your hard work duly noted.

PS: That thread seems pretty active, anyway.

Edited by Eleven

American kids play soccer more than any other sport growing up. My .02 on why the game is not more popular here. Kids/teenagers see a game on TV, watch a foreign player dive in the box and roll around like he's shot in order to draw a penalty, and sees on the replay that the guy wasn't even touched. Every once in awhile, especially close to stoppage time you'll see see a guy carried off on a stretcher and back on the field a minute later. America is a culture that prides itself on toughness, and those actions turn most of us off to the game.

Or it could be that kids with the reflexes and athletic ability to excel at soccer end up playing the "American" sports where the money has been way better.

Why?

Because he gives the team the best chance to advance. (I would keep Green, too, and boot someone else.)

It's not about a youth movement when it happens every four years. It's about some guys who are 27 who want to win now. How do you think they feel, without their best teammate?

This was so, so stupid.

Why?

It's painfully obvious that Green isn't ready yet. He looks like a kid out there as an 18 year old against world class players. My best analogy is he is Grigorenko two years ago. In 4 years if he progresses, yes, Green should be there. But, we could use Landon's experience off the bench, especially if we get down a couple of goals and need another offensive option.

Maybe he would give the team a better chance to win. Or maybe him not being there is addition by subtraction? Maybe he's not the greatest locker room guy? Not saying he is/isn't, I have no idea. What I do remember, if my old, burned out memory is accurate, is that he was too mentally/emotionally weak/immature to hack it in the bundesliga despite having the talent and went running home. Left his team to take a sabbatical. Had moderate success in the EPL, but instead of staying there playing against top level players leading up to the World Cup, he chose the comforting relaxed atmosphere of his local club team in a league equivelent to the ECHL. Donavan is an immense talent that never reached its potential due to a lack of heart and desire. He's how old now? 33? Big difference between that and 29. Maybe he can't handle being a bit player coming off the bench? Whatever the reasons were, he had issues with Klinsman, and that can't be good for the team. I side with the coach.

• 1 month later...

And last night we were reminded that MLS is a minor league.

The mistake by the LA Galaxy defender that gave Wayne Rooney a layup of a goal (to make it 3-0) was like watching little league soccer. Horrible.

...and watching MLS teams get blasted by top teams from top leagues make me even more annoyed that USA national team guys are increasingly turning down offers from top leagues to stay in the MLS. Zusi and Besler both re-signed in Kansas City because it is comfortable. But, they're turning down the opportunity to get better against better competition. I don't like the mentality of not wanting to play against the best in the world when you have the opportunity to do so.

The mistake by the LA Galaxy defender that gave Wayne Rooney a layup of a goal (to make it 3-0) was like watching little league soccer. Horrible.

...and watching MLS teams get blasted by top teams from top leagues make me even more annoyed that USA national team guys are increasingly turning down offers from top leagues to stay in the MLS. Zusi and Besler both re-signed in Kansas City because it is comfortable. But, they're turning down the opportunity to get better against better competition. I don't like the mentality of not wanting to play against the best in the world when you have the opportunity to do so.

Yeah, certainly seeing you can make alot more money in europe to if you are good enough :P

When was the last time that a European football powerhouse broke the bank on a transfer of a US, or Canadian, national footballer.

The grass root level of skill development in NA is just not there yet. It's getting better, but not quite there. The US and Canadian national football programs should be putting in the $ to make it happen, but where do they get that $?

I don't think Barca ... has scouts all over NA searching for the next Messi.