Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

had a

Oh yeah?! Your second favorite sport that I don't follow or understand is equally to or more slow moving and boring

What baseball, not my favorite sport, my son has picked to play my two least favorite sports baseball and though I like playing, can't stand the pro... basketball.

I like hockey, football and race cars as my top three. I play hockey, basketball and do a lot of biking.

I do agree soccer is a great agility practice sport for hockey as far as the skills go, but the game itself is one step above baseball. As one HS lacrosse coach "Roy Colsey" former Bandit Star once told me, "baseball is just one guy throwing a ball to another guy with one guy swinging at it with a stick and the 15 plus others standing around watching"...

Now if Soccer had fights on the field and a penalty box then you might have something. Obviously if soccer somehow could have sticks and allow real checking and severe penalties for diving then it might speed up the game and allow more goals, maybe, but like baseball the most fun is in the stands and the food.

Edited by North Buffalo

Wigan?! Sorry NS.

:nana:

Man City has still not "recovered" from the shock of winning the EPL last season.

They have not played well all year ... EPL, Champions League, FA CUP ... and it looks like Džeko is thinking of leaving this summer. Looks like he will have his pick of new sides.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/398570/Arsenal-target-Edin-Dzeko-to-decide-on-Manchester-City-future-this-summer

And Wigan is in serious danger of relegation from the EPL.

4-0 over West Brom, and I believe that guarantees that Norwich will be in the Premiership next fall.

Norwich should be good to stay up next year.

Wigan (closest to the line, but in the relegation zone) has 2 matches left (they're match against Arsenal today was postponed, not sure why ... maybe the players are all drunk from the celebrations yesterday) and are on 35 points. Norwich has 41 points with one match left, against Man C, I think. So, if Wigan wins out (not likely, IMO) they will have 41 points. If Norwich win, or draw, they are good. If they lose it will come down to GD. Right now they are 5 GD points up on Wigan.

Bottom line ... not guaranteed (so far as I can tell) yet, but they look very good.

Norwich should be good to stay up next year.

Wigan (closest to the line, but in the relegation zone) has 2 matches left (they're match against Arsenal today was postponed, not sure why ... maybe the players are all drunk from the celebrations yesterday) and are on 35 points. Norwich has 41 points with one match left, against Man C, I think. So, if Wigan wins out (not likely, IMO) they will have 41 points. If Norwich win, or draw, they are good. If they lose it will come down to GD. Right now they are 5 GD points up on Wigan.

Bottom line ... not guaranteed (so far as I can tell) yet, but they look very good.

One of Wigan's remaining games is against Aston Villa. If they draw or if AV wins, Wigan can't catch Norwich; if Wigan wins, AV (only one remaining game) can't catch Norwich. It's all over; Norwich is safe.

Until Ruddy's injury, they were damn near challenging for fifth this year. Next season should be good.

One of Wigan's remaining games is against Aston Villa. If they draw or if AV wins, Wigan can't catch Norwich; if Wigan wins, AV (only one remaining game) can't catch Norwich. It's all over; Norwich is safe.

Until Ruddy's injury, they were damn near challenging for fifth this year. Next season should be good.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if Wigan wins both their remaining matches and if Norwich fails to secure a single point against Man C, won't Wigan and Norwich be even on 41 points? It will then come down to goal differential, which Norwich is 5 good on Wigan, currently.

I agree Norwich are pretty safe, but not secure at this point, again, unless I am missing something.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if Wigan wins both their remaining matches and if Norwich fails to secure a single point against Man C, won't Wigan and Norwich be even on 41 points? It will then come down to goal differential, which Norwich is 5 good on Wigan, currently.

I agree Norwich are pretty safe, but not secure at this point, again, unless I am missing something.

Yes, but in that instance, Aston Villa will have only the 40 points they currently have, because Wigan will have beaten them. Aston Villa's only remaining game is against Wigan.

There is no possible scenario whereby Norwich finishes in the bottom three.

Let me try it this way: Let's say that Wigan beats Arsenal and AV by seventeen goals each, and Norwich doesn't get a point or even score a goal against Man City. At worst (for Norwich), the table will look like this:

17. Norwich 41 points

18. Aston Villa 40 points (because they had to lose to Wigan for this scenario to occur)

19. Reading (between 28 and 34 points)

20. QPR (between 25 and 28 points).

Edited by Eleven

Yes, but in that instance, Aston Villa will have only the 40 points they currently have, because Wigan will have beaten them.

There is no possible scenario whereby Norwich finishes in the bottom three.

Let me try it this way: Let's say that Wigan beats Arsenal and AV by seventeen goals each, and Norwich doesn't get a point or even score a goal against Man City. At worst (for Norwich), the table will look like this:

17. Norwich 41 points

18. Aston Villa 40 points (because they had to lose to Wigan for this scenario to occur)

19. Reading (between 28 and 34 points)

20. QPR (between 25 and 28 points).

So, that was the piece I was missing ... that Wigan could move above the relegation line, but not at the expense of Norwich. If Wigan moves above the line another side (Sunderland ?, AV ?) would fall below the line.

I now see that Norwich could not fall below the line, no matter what happens.

:oops:

And, thanks for painting such a clear picture.

Imagine, QPR and maybe AV being relegated in the same season. Wow!!

EDIT:

Any idea which sides will be moving up?

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

So, that was the piece I was missing ... that Wigan could move above the relegation line, but not at the expense of Norwich. If Wigan moves above the line another side (Sunderland ?, AV ?) would fall below the line.

I now see that Norwich could not fall below the line, no matter what happens.

:oops:

And, thanks for painting such a clear picture.

Imagine, QPR and maybe AV being relegated in the same season. Wow!!

EDIT:

Any idea which sides will be moving up?

Cardiff and Hull are definitely moving up. The playoff for the third spot is down to Watford and either Crystal Palace or Brighton.

What baseball, not my favorite sport, my son has picked to play my two least favorite sports baseball and though I like playing, can't stand the pro... basketball.

I like hockey, football and race cars as my top three. I play hockey, basketball and do a lot of biking.

I do agree soccer is a great agility practice sport for hockey as far as the skills go, but the game itself is one step above baseball. As one HS lacrosse coach "Roy Colsey" former Bandit Star once told me, "baseball is just one guy throwing a ball to another guy with one guy swinging at it with a stick and the 15 plus others standing around watching"...

Now if Soccer had fights on the field and a penalty box then you might have something. Obviously if soccer somehow could have sticks and allow real checking and severe penalties for diving then it might speed up the game and allow more goals, maybe, but like baseball the most fun is in the stands and the food.

I was just trying to be a little funny.

I will just say this thought:

Baseball is a lot more than 15 guys watching one guy swing a stick at a ball another guy throws. If that was the true essence of the sport, no one would ever watch it. When I first started watching baseball that is what it looked like to me, and it looked like an insanely boring game without meaning. One cannot appreciate baseball until you get into the details of the strategy as baseball is a almost 100% strategy driven game.

The same is true for soccer. In it's essence, soccer is a game of space, structure and geometry. If one does not understand how and why teams open and close space constantly it's impossible to enjoy the game. Without the ability to see and analyze a teams structure on the field, the game reduces down to just 22 guys chasing a ball around and in the end the Germans win.

I think that at the core level, hockey and soccer are a lot closer related than many think. It's a little difficult to see the similarities on the small NHL rinks, but if you watch international hockey they are easier to spot.

Just a parting shot: I find American football to be one of the most boring sports in the world. It's 5 seconds of guys playing smear the ###### followed by 40 seconds of people just standing around. As if standing around isn't boring enough, the standing around is frequently interrupted by commercial breaks. And to slow down the process even more, each team has virtually unlimited time outs, video challenges and who knows what.

I was just trying to be a little funny. Fair Enough

Just a parting shot: I find American football to be one of the most boring sports in the world. It's 5 seconds of guys playing smear the ###### followed by 40 seconds of people just standing around. As if standing around isn't boring enough, the standing around is frequently interrupted by commercial breaks. And to slow down the process even more, each team has virtually unlimited time outs, video challenges and who knows what.

I agree professional football and Division I college (professiona fb lite) has gotten to be very boring. I can barely go to games anymore with all the breaks between advertisements. Part of the reason I do like basketball and hockey is the difficulty of advertisements affecting the flow of the games. Soccer also has that advantage too and I do understand the ins and outs of the game, in fact I like playing, just can't watch it. Baseball while very strategic is still boring to play unless you are the pitcher, batter or catcher. It can be very interesting to watch during the playoffs when good teams are playing each other, but when teams play the game badly like the current Mets it is just painful to watch.

Interesting thought, the least exciting hockey series imo was the CAPs Rangers series, neither team could score and the lack of skill depth on offense was similar to watching a mid-season Sabres game.... booring and often what seemed like a lack of cohesion on both teams.

P.S. Smear the @$!@$#@ is called Rugby internationally or at the very least Australian rules football!

Edited by North Buffalo

Mancini has ben fired by Man City (happened about a week ago, after the FA Cup final loss to Wigan).

http://stats.cbc.ca/epl/story.asp?i=20130518125214330000101

He is a great manager.

In the 3 years he was manager City has ...

Won the EPL and has come in second place twice.

Won the FA Cup once and reached the final a second time.

They did not perform up to expectations in Champions League play.

And yet he was fired. Some owners just have a very itchy trigger finger.

Reports had surfaced before Mancini was fired that City had a replacement hired. City owners refused to deny the reports. Wholly crap!!

It may be time for me to look for another football team to follow. Especially if Džeko leaves the team ...

http://soccerwithoutlimits.com/manchester-city-summer-exodus-to-start-with-edin-dzeko/26845/

Mancini has ben fired by Man City (happened about a week ago, after the FA Cup final loss to Wigan).

http://stats.cbc.ca/...125214330000101

He is a great manager.

In the 3 years he was manager City has ...

Won the EPL and has come in second place twice.

Won the FA Cup once and reached the final a second time.

They did not perform up to expectations in Champions League play.

And yet he was fired. Some owners just have a very itchy trigger finger.

Reports had surfaced before Mancini was fired that City had a replacement hired. City owners refused to deny the reports. Wholly crap!!

It may be time for me to look for another football team to follow. Especially if Džeko leaves the team ...

http://soccerwithout...in-dzeko/26845/

1. It was a terrible mistake to fire him.

2. Did you catch the score today?

3. Norwich is always looking for more fans if you decide to make the jump...

Yeah was a great final to watch, and bayern deserves to win one after being in the final 3 times in the last 4 years.

can't wait till next year, with guardiola, i bet it will be a bust lol.

he got 300 million euro's in pocket change to go buy players :D

Edited by Heimdall

Yeah was a great final to watch, and bayern deserves to win one after being in the final 3 times in the last 4 years.

can't wait till next year, with guardiola, i bet it will be a bust lol.

he got 300 million euro's in pocket change to go buy players :D

Because of this everybody who is not a Bayern fan in Germany hates them so much. Their strategy: Just buy the best players in your league and the best coaches and dominate.

My favorite team is Dortmund, so i really felt bad after the loss on Saturday. Hate them, but i am happy we dominated them for two years. Now our management and coach need to show some magic and find some great talents, again.

Because of this everybody who is not a Bayern fan in Germany hates them so much. Their strategy: Just buy the best players in your league and the best coaches and dominate.

My favorite team is Dortmund, so i really felt bad after the loss on Saturday. Hate them, but i am happy we dominated them for two years. Now our management and coach need to show some magic and find some great talents, again.

I hear you'll be getting Kevin de Bruyne and Naser chadli, both good playmakers, and can score to.

But most important, both are not shy for playing physical either.

Edited by Heimdall

• 3 weeks later...