Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

True, but Bundesliga has been underestimated for years, and prolly is now the best league in europe.

And we have around 5 teams in Belgium that can beat teams from "top" 3 leagues in europe anytime.

And we're going to win WC2014. If we can get past the #4 (croatia) team in the world in qualifyers.

The level of football is pretty decent in any league or country in europe. Its also why its a shame they want more asian countries going to the world cup.

I'd rather see good teams playing there, even if they mostly come from South america, Europe or Africa.

Edited by Heimdall

Pretty exciting to see the German breakthrough this year. For a couple of years Spain has ruled the world with their extreme possession soccer, but the Germans have found the counter. Aggressive pressure on the ball a little higher up the field, pull midfield back to defend swiftly if the press is broken and break on possession based teams with precision and speed.

As much as I love watching Messi play it was great to see such great use of counter-tactics. I can't wait to see how this will play out in the World Cup.

Honestly I am never concerned when Messi is on the field as long as Schweinsteiger ist out there as well.

It will be interesting to see how he matches up against Spain if they meet again in 2014. I think the last World Cup demonstrated that Argentina does not have enough quality around Messi to dominate midfield like Spain loves to do. Schweinsteiger is always in great position, but does he have the engine to keep pressure as high up in the field as they will need to do? Or do you think the forward three midfielders and Klose will be able to bring enough pressure on their own? That said, with the quality in midfield Germany will have who knows if Spain will be able to hold onto the ball to the extent they like?

Who do you think Germany will play as their front 3 midfielders in the World Cup? Muller and Ozil for sure I would guess? Schweinsteiger behind the attacking three also a shoe in, but who takes the spot next to him?

Time will tell I guess, but I can't wait to see what happens in the World Cup and if Spain can adjust to the heavy ball pressure I am sure all teams will attempt now.

It will be interesting to see how he matches up against Spain if they meet again in 2014. I think the last World Cup demonstrated that Argentina does not have enough quality around Messi to dominate midfield like Spain loves to do. Schweinsteiger is always in great position, but does he have the engine to keep pressure as high up in the field as they will need to do? Or do you think the forward three midfielders and Klose will be able to bring enough pressure on their own? That said, with the quality in midfield Germany will have who knows if Spain will be able to hold onto the ball to the extent they like?

Who do you think Germany will play as their front 3 midfielders in the World Cup? Muller and Ozil for sure I would guess? Schweinsteiger behind the attacking three also a shoe in, but who takes the spot next to him?

Time will tell I guess, but I can't wait to see what happens in the World Cup and if Spain can adjust to the heavy ball pressure I am sure all teams will attempt now.

Possible German line up for 2014 WC barring injuries.

False Nine Line-up

Götze

Reus Ozil Müller

Schweiny Gundugan

Smeltzer Hummels Boatang Lahm

Neüer

Possible German line up for 2014 WC barring injuries.

False Nine Line-up

Götze

Reus Ozil Müller

Schweiny Gundugan

Smeltzer Hummels Boatang Lahm

Neüer

Is Gundogan a strong enough tackler and ball winner to play next to Schweinsteiger? I would think the preferred balance would be to have Schweinsteiger distribute balls, make runs and shoot from distance, while his complement would be responsible for winning the ball and feeding it to him? I would think Germany wanted a more stout defensive midfielder to play the part that Khedira had in Soft Africa?

Is Gundogan a strong enough tackler and ball winner to play next to Schweinsteiger? I would think the preferred balance would be to have Schweinsteiger distribute balls, make runs and shoot from distance, while his complement would be responsible for winning the ball and feeding it to him? I would think Germany wanted a more stout defensive midfielder to play the part that Khedira had in Soft Africa?

Gundogan is a very strong all round player. Is Khedira better defensively, yes, but Gundogan is faster and more dynamic.......I could see both players being used in different situations.......As a sidenote I see Gundogan taking over for Schweiny in a few years.......He has great stamina just like him

Gundogan is a very strong all round player. Is Khedira better defensively, yes, but Gundogan is faster and more dynamic.......I could see both players being used in different situations.......As a sidenote I see Gundogan taking over for Schweiny in a few years.......He has great stamina just like him

I think Gundogan is similar to Schweinsteiger, perhaps too similar? Creative, good positioning, excellent passing and can shoot from long range. Typically though, when you play 4-2-3-1 you want one ball winner and one ball distributor in your Defensive mids. I guess Schweinsteiger can do anything, but if I was Germany I would free him up to follow the play forward.

Sorry in my mind... Soccer is just hockey played at a much slower speed approaching the level of baseball or paint drying.

I think you just described Baseball

Yup Soccer and Baseball redundant sports.... :w00t:

Uh, guys...no need to stop in, you know?

Uh, guys...no need to stop in, you know?

The good DR is a football guy.

=====

Be still my heart ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-announced.html

Is he finally being pushed off the cliff?

My feelings on him and his band of cry babies at Man U is well documented, but I will, on some level, miss all the antics and BS.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

The good DR is a football guy.

=====

Be still my heart ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-announced.html

Is he finally being pushed off the cliff?

My feelings on him and his band of cry babies at Man U is well documented, but I will, on some level, miss all the antics and BS.

In other news, no more 96 minute games for Man U.

I think Gundogan is similar to Schweinsteiger, perhaps too similar? Creative, good positioning, excellent passing and can shoot from long range. Typically though, when you play 4-2-3-1 you want one ball winner and one ball distributor in your Defensive mids. I guess Schweinsteiger can do anything, but if I was Germany I would free him up to follow the play forward.

You could never get enough Schweiny, lol........By the way both Schweiny and Gundogan were voted by on the Bundesliga team of the year at CDM.

Sorry with as many hijackers on this board, I couldn't resist, but I will be polite to a slow moving hooligan sport where the best entertainment is in the stands.

FTR, I think every hockey player should be forced to play soccer in the off season. The ones I know who do have the best feet. Especially the the guys that play defense.

I'm actually excited about WC2014, i think we got many good teams that can win it.

Especially the outsiders will prove tough.

Germany, Spain and Brazil are favourites, but the outsiders look very dangerous.

Croatia, Netherlands and Belgium could do some damage to the favourites.

I'm actually excited about WC2014, i think we got many good teams that can win it.

Especially the outsiders will prove tough.

Germany, Spain and Brazil are favourites, but the outsiders look very dangerous.

Croatia, Netherlands and Belgium could do some damage to the favourites.

It's probably too early to start a WC2014 thread, as it's still over a year down the road.

The German's will be as efficient as ever. I see them as a top 4 team. Brazil will get a host bump and probably will be a top 4 side.

The Spaniards and Dutch will start to show their age, but should not be counted out.

The Croats are a bunch of thugs and resemble their fans in that regard. Belgium? Probably to small a country for FIFA to allow to advance very far ... top 8, maybe.

Spain might be stopped by the fuentes scandal and see its aging players being forced to quit because of it.

The fuentes scandal is starting to spread out to other sports besides cycling, he'll name names soon enough (Some british gossip paper will pay money for it for sure).

Wouldn't be surprised that in a year Spain will lose their world and european cups. And barcelona will have to hand over their champions league wins.

As long the evidence (blood bags) aren't destroyed by then. Wich tennis star Andy murray is trying to block.

The dutch already started a youth movement in the back end and midfield, don't see a problem for them.

I'll help you out when it comes to belgium.

We are close to having the most expensive national team in the world.

Goalies

Thibaut Courtois owned by chelsea but on loan to atletico madrid for two years now - best young goalie in the world

Simon Mignolet owend by sunderland and one of main reasons they are not relegating from EPL, yielding interest from Manchester united and arsenal.

Defense

Toby alderweireld Ajax amsterdam probably going to liverpool.

vincent Kompany captain of manchester city (also yielding interest from barcelona but not going anywhere)

Thomas Vermaelen Arsenal (benched alot lately but yielding interest from barcelona)

Jan Verthongen Tottenham

Nicolas lombaerts Zenit st petersburg

Daniel Van buyten Bayern munchen. <--- one of the older guys in this very young group also scoring leader lol :D

Sebastien pocognoli Hannover 96

Midfield

Moussa dembele tottenham

Marouane Felliani Everton (yielding interest by Manchester United)

Kevin de Bruyne owned by chelsea on loan to werder bremen (yielding interest from Dortmund, leverkussen)

Eden Hazard owned by chelsea

Steven defour Fc porto

Dries mertens psv eindhoven (believed to be going to epl soon)

Axel Witsel Zenit st petersburg

Nacer chadli Fc twente, rumours are Juventus currently made 8 million euro offer for him.

Timmy simons nurnberg <---- Oldest of this young group, playing in his last two years.

Guillaume gillet, Anderlecht midfielder who can also play defense.

Attack

Kevin Mirralas everton

Romelu Lukaku owned by chelsea on loan to west brom albion. 14 goals in EPL this season.

Christain Benteke Aston villa probably the main reason they are not relegating 19 goals in EPL this season.

Jelle vossen KRC Genk most likekly playing in bundesliga next year.